PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions for halibut/salmon charter?

rishu_pepper
05-28-2009, 10:51 AM
So a few of us are wanting to catch a charter for halibut/salmon in the summer on Vancouver Island. I was wondering if you guys have any good suggestions for charters?

- 4-6 people
- July to August
- fish 2-3 days
- halibut and salmon combo
- equipment provided

Pretty much everyone of us are greenhorns at this, so definitely need a good guide ;)

What do you have in mind, o great sages of HBC? :D

KodiakHntr
05-28-2009, 11:37 AM
Early Dawn Charters out of Rupert...Good people.

Slee
05-28-2009, 11:56 AM
I went to king salmon resort on rivers inlet. had a great time. smallest fish was 38lbs. largest 62lbs....... And had the best food ever!

ratherbefishin
05-28-2009, 12:17 PM
I've been chartering with Terry at info@tantfishingcharters.com for about 10 years now-out of Sooke Harbour,good guy,boat and gear in top shape,licenced and inspected

Wild Images
05-28-2009, 12:28 PM
Mike Johns
www.Heaveyhaulerfishingcharters.com (http://www.Heaveyhaulerfishingcharters.com)

Mike is a great guy and an awesome fisherman, goes by Piperdown on HBC

MB_Boy
05-28-2009, 12:31 PM
rishu...

It's a BIG island....do you have anywhere specific you were looking at? North Island, West Island (Tofino/Ukie) or further south on the Island?

I can lend some help for the WCVI (west coast vancouver island) if you need?

rishu_pepper
05-28-2009, 01:07 PM
Thanks for all the responses so far! Certainly many choices to choose from.

MB_Boy, no real preference to specific locations. Obviously, a high percentage of catching fish is a bonus, as well as a shorter drive from the ferry to save time/money.

MB_Boy
05-28-2009, 01:33 PM
MB_Boy, no real preference to specific locations. Obviously, a high percentage of catching fish is a bonus, as well as a shorter drive from the ferry to save time/money.

PM headed your way!

Piperdown
05-28-2009, 02:07 PM
Mike Johns
www.Heaveyhaulerfishingcharters.com (http://www.Heaveyhaulerfishingcharters.com)

Mike is a great guy and an awesome fisherman, goes by Blindguy on HBC

Thanks but I am Piperdown on here, Blindguy is Trevor from No Bananas, knows his stuff like most who guide in Renfrew!

Wild Images
05-28-2009, 02:16 PM
Fixed it Sorry Mike

rishu_pepper
05-28-2009, 05:52 PM
Thanks for the suggestions! Looks like it'll be a fun time when we get this going :D

pro 111
05-30-2009, 08:50 PM
without a doubt , Sandspit on the queen charlotte islands. You cant beat the fishing up here. All the guides out of sandspit know there stuff. All the salmon can be caught along the inlet walls so its usually flat calm.This is the land of the big halibut , big black bears, and you can even take 5 bucks home with you if you want some verry enjoyable hunting in the evenings and early mornings.

fozzy
06-03-2009, 10:23 PM
All the above sound good. Too little time to fish every water. :)

I have gone out with Sooke Salmon charters a couple times. Rollie is brother to one of my hunting partners.

PM sent as well.

Billy the Kid
06-03-2009, 11:26 PM
Trevor from No Bananas, out of Port Renfrew. Seriously at the end of the day he's typically got the fullest coolers. pm me if you need a number

tracker
06-09-2009, 07:35 PM
not to highjack this thread but

Iam to looking for a charter for my family to go on ,a few days also would be fine ,my wife and 2 boys 10 and 14 and me , looking at prince rupert area ????

Is a $1000 to $1200 a day pretty much standard for a chartered boat?

Does anyone know of a place that you can stay and charter a boat from at these rates?

It will be a once in a lifetime trip for the family and me .

doubled
06-09-2009, 08:53 PM
Marty, Email sent to you.

doubled
06-09-2009, 08:53 PM
Rishu, email sent to you.

tracker
06-09-2009, 09:07 PM
Thanks for the info doubled :-P

Sitkaspruce
06-09-2009, 09:15 PM
Rishu

Give Ian Macdonald a shout . He goes by Prowler on this site. Email him, do not PM him as he is pretty busy and does not check in here often.

Here is his site

http://www.bamfieldsportfishing.com/

He will get you into fish and he has complete packages w/accomadations. I used to guide with him way back and he knows his stuff!!!

He is a big time hunter, get him to tell you about his first Bear, deer and sheep, all in his first and second year of hunting. Iwas there for them all and he is one lucky SOB with respect to those firsts.

And the big plus Rashu.....The university marine center is located in Bamfield and has lots of girls studing marine stuff.....;-):p

Cheers

SS

Angel
06-10-2009, 07:08 AM
Hey Rishu what are the costs of some of these fishing charters??

dryflyguy57
06-10-2009, 07:39 AM
Tracker , I can highly recommend Sunset Charters out of Prince Rupert . Gary Ainscow @250-622-8859 . Some just want to get you back to the dock asap but Gary is in no rush and is a good family guy who produces .

Regards

boxhitch
06-10-2009, 08:20 AM
So, without making a bunch of phone calls , what is the going rate for a day offshore ??
Accomodations can be guessed at, probably on par with anywhere. But then is there someone that has B&B&Boat ?
Good thread, gets the planning started.

Sitkaspruce
06-10-2009, 12:22 PM
Depending on the size of the boat, travel distance (inshore/offshore), number of people and time, you are looking between ~$900-$1500/day for up to 4 people. This should include all gear/bait/gas (although I see a few places will be charging a surcharge if gas goes over $1.30/l), fish cleaning and packaging, safety equipment and in some instances beverages of the non-alcholic type and of course, a competant fishing guide.

Just remember, you usually get what you pay for, so the cheap, fly-by night guides are usually cheaper and do not always produce as well as an established guide.

Cheers

SS

GoatGuy
06-10-2009, 05:38 PM
We fish with My Way charters. :biggrin:

Good times!

Island Blacktail
06-11-2009, 10:52 PM
Check out Chinootka Lodge in Nootka Sound. Don't forget to view there photo gallery.

website

www.chinootkalodge.com