PDA

View Full Version : CWD(?) near Cache Creek

redthorn
05-27-2009, 09:56 PM
There is a valid concern, and the MOE is looking for anyone who might have seen any sort of odd animals.

If you were watching the posts last week, you might have seen one by 2slow about a sick/injured deer ( http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=35323&highlight=sick+deer )

This was duly reported to the MOE all the way to the top vet, and Head vet for BC, Helen Schwantje, sent out a C.O. to try to recover the brain today. The carcass has been claimed by a black bear though, and the C.O. couldn't obtain the head as the bear refused to be chased off. However, just the pictures of the gaunt, haggard deer, the drool, and the posture ellicited enough concern that they sent someone out to try to obtain a sample.

http://i691.photobucket.com/albums/vv278/redthornboards/CacheCreek.jpg

THIS IS A REAL PICTURE, TAKEN LAST WEEK NEAR CACHE CREEK. THE MOE IS CONCERNED AND WANT TO KNOW ABOUT ANYTHING ODD SEEN IN THE UNGULATE POPULATION, especially close by there. Sorry I can't be exact on the location, as that is up to 2slow to post publicly if he wants to.

If you are heading that way, keep an eye out for these sort of animals. If you see one, you can PM, or call me direct at 604-835-8986 and I will get the info straight up to the vets, or call the RAPP hotline.

Please read this previous thread on reporting, as well, and if you ever see anything, let me know please. ( http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=33844 )

Thank you. Joel

GoatGuy
05-28-2009, 12:11 AM
Wouldn't that be something.

Steeleco
05-28-2009, 06:02 AM
If it was an actual case, one would hope it's isolated to the one animal and a infrequent natural occurance??

Ruger4
05-28-2009, 06:28 AM
Nature is cruel , hate to see pix like that , hopefully it is an isolated case as mentioned

Stone Sheep Steve
05-28-2009, 06:54 AM
Heard that one way it can get into this province at a faster speed than it normally would occur is through taxidermists.

Hunters bring home their whities from Sask and to get mounted here....taxidermists dump the heads in the bush for the scavengers( after skinning them out (a common practice) and "presto"...we've got CWD express style!!

Animals do get disease and ill health naturally in the wild. Let's hope this in one of those cases.

SSS

creakinbones
05-28-2009, 07:38 AM
Probably sucking on runoff water seeping from the Cache Creek landfill.

Jelvis
05-28-2009, 07:57 AM
Sounds like INXS -- could be brain worm, a worm wigglin in the membranes.

horshur
05-28-2009, 08:28 AM
there were dozens that sick in little fort this past late winter and spring and many are ony coming back slowly...I found more than 80 head dead.

GoatGuy
05-28-2009, 09:32 AM
Heard that one way it can get into this province at a faster speed than it normally would occur is through taxidermists.

Hunters bring home their whities from Sask and to get mounted here....taxidermists dump the heads in the bush for the scavengers( after skinning them out (a common practice) and "presto"...we've got CWD express style!!

Animals do get disease and ill health naturally in the wild. Let's hope this in one of those cases.

SSS

There will be new regs this year for this sort of thing.

One of the big worries is people transporting farmed elk/deer through the Province from known areas of the disease.

redthorn
05-28-2009, 06:53 PM
Would anyone be willing to take a pack of hunting dogs up to run the bear off the carcass to allow the c.o.'s to collect the head and necessary brain samples?

Jelvis
05-28-2009, 06:59 PM
Gimme a 12 inch original bowie knife and I'll go in there and take em out.
Jel -- an original to keep - I'll go in and take um out for yah 4 get the dogs.

Salty
05-28-2009, 08:06 PM
Gimme a 12 inch original bowie knife and I'll go in there and take em out.
Jel -- an original to keep - I'll go in and take um out for yah 4 get the dogs.

That's what I'm talkin about. A jug of rot gut and a bowie blade. lol. Let me know if you need back up Jelly Crocket. :D

05-28-2009, 09:39 PM
there were dozens that sick in little fort this past late winter and spring and many are ony coming back slowly...I found more than 80 head dead.

Any idea what it is Horshur, disease or just normal winter kill?

horshur
05-28-2009, 10:03 PM
Any idea what it is Horshur, disease or just normal winter kill?

just winterkill........an attempt at infering other possibilities...we had dozens lookin that bad just a month ago.

horshur
05-28-2009, 10:08 PM
Would anyone be willing to take a pack of hunting dogs up to run the bear off the carcass to allow the c.o.'s to collect the head and necessary brain samples?

I am confused at this request for it was my assumption the CO service has hounds to use. Were some in kamloops and north of there as well.

05-29-2009, 01:51 AM
just winterkill........an attempt at infering other possibilities...we had dozens lookin that bad just a month ago.

Thought so,,,,,,thanks.

redthorn
05-29-2009, 03:55 PM
If it is winterkill, I'd be glad to hear it. All I know is that the head vet from the MOE is concerned about the deer, and wanted the head bad anough to send someone out to try to get it so it could be confirmed. I don't know what it is, and neither do they, but there's enough greens around that a deer shouldn't be starving to death anymore.

dana
05-29-2009, 10:10 PM
but there's enough greens around that a deer shouldn't be starving to death anymore.

Actually, a lot of deer that barely make it through a tuff winter, die in the spring. They have gone so long with next to nill, their bodies just can't handle the new green.

Springer
05-30-2009, 11:28 PM
I see by the new 2009 regs that there is more mandatory testing being done in Alberta in its WMU's. In my opinion CWD has always been around. It would be great to have optional testing for CWD in all the zones in A.B including West to the BC border.The only thing is i think we may be a little scared to find it may be more widespread than originally thought,

my 2 cents.

dana
05-31-2009, 08:38 AM
It's not being scared that it will be found here, it is being scared at the reaction that the Ministry will have when they find it. Mass Culling like AB and Sask is the biggest over reaction I fear. You can bet it would only take one positive case and the Ministry would be firing up the helicopters and putting the gun mounts on. Mass Culling has shown it doesn't work, but you can bet the Ministry here would go the same way as AB and Sask. Then again, with the budgets of the MOE getting slashed by over 200 million, the 'mis'managers might be shithouse out of luck when it comes to paying for such a large cull. Lord knows Gordo has better things to pay for right now like the Legacy of 2010. ;)

The one thing BC has to protect us against CWD is tons of Predators. Maybe our huge wolf populations is a good thing???

bad arrow
05-31-2009, 09:15 AM
I'm not up to date on CWD, I was unaware that it can affect mule deer as well, as I've only heard of it in Whitetails and Elk generally in the prairie provs and the US, can it affect any ungulate?

05-31-2009, 09:42 AM
I'm not up to date on CWD, I was unaware that it can affect mule deer as well, as I've only heard of it in Whitetails and Elk generally in the prairie provs and the US, can it affect any ungulate?

It has recently been found in moose as well as mule deer, white tailed deer and elk. It effects all Cervids (deer family).

Springer
05-31-2009, 10:13 AM
Found in Moose??? i was under the understanding that it never affected Moose. have to agree with you Dana,the ministry probably would do the same as here. How can large culls get rid of it. If one single animal carries it there will always be a carryer.