PDA

View Full Version : Who here can boast the highest number of recruited hunters?

Paulyman
05-26-2009, 11:07 PM
Most of us are more than willing to boast about how many points an animal scored or how wide of a spread their moose rack was,but here's something that really counts considering the decline of new hunters in BC and you should really pat yourself on the back for doing if you have

How many people have you known over the years that have become hunters or hunterettes that you can take credit for by either taking them out on their first trip or patiently answering any question they had pertaining to the sport?

I'll start,my # is 3

muleychaser
05-26-2009, 11:27 PM
I will through in 2

bowhunterbruce
05-26-2009, 11:29 PM
wow how far back do you want me to go,well if i stick to the ones say from 1980 on, im at somewhere around 18 different men, woman and children that i have encouraged to hunt,ive have almost everytime taken them out first for a few times and once they experience holding a leg while im cleaning or picking off a chicken they all got hooked and take the coarse.
ive always loved takeing newbies out,in fact i took one out last season right after he got his core and showed him 120 deer,3 moose,1 coyote.and wack of chickens in 1 day.and we got a flatand the spare was to low in pressure to drive on,thank god i had the quad and we were only about 15 km from a town.
showing them secret spots isnt a problem with me because they usually only want to go out with me so they remain secret.
ive always remembered the old saying "give a man a fish and feed him for a day,teach a man to fish and feed him for life".well the same words apply with hunting.
its a great feeling when they have connected and a better feeling of the bonding experience that happens when they have thier hands on thier first harvest.

hunterofthedeer
05-26-2009, 11:33 PM
im one of the people who was taken hunting by a family friend my dad couldnt make it due to truck problem and it was my first big game hunt and was sucessful

deerstocker
05-27-2009, 12:08 AM
im in for three

bridger
05-27-2009, 04:13 AM
in for five

Seabass
05-27-2009, 07:00 AM
I got one guy to quit. Probally saved his life and or some eles as he is a walking accident.

hunter1947
05-27-2009, 07:03 AM
I have 4 that I got into hunting over the last 20 years.

Gateholio
05-27-2009, 07:22 AM
I've taken out 5 people for thier first big game animals. 2 women and 3 men.

The women were the better hunting partners for the most part. :)

I can't say I was the sole reason they got into hunting, I just helped to nudge them in the right direction.

Paulyman
05-27-2009, 07:42 AM
I've taken out 5 people for thier first big game animals. 2 women and 3 men.

The women were the better hunting partners for the most part. :)

I can't say I was the sole reason they got into hunting, I just helped to nudge them in the right direction.

I think i can guess why they were better hunting partners :)

rishu_pepper
05-27-2009, 08:23 AM
One so far, working on 2-3.

tuchodi
05-27-2009, 08:25 AM
I'm in for 3 who have turned out to be excellent hunters and now they have kids and have introduced them to hunting. Its real good to see all of you that have helped keep our hunting traditon going. Keep up the good work.

ultramagbob
05-27-2009, 08:27 AM
why would I want anymore competition out there??

hunter33
05-27-2009, 08:44 AM
5 so far, working on 2 more this year.

Everett
05-27-2009, 09:05 AM
4 in the last 5 years with 2 more coming around for this year one of those who is going to start this year has convinced 4 of his freinds to take the core/pal this summer.
The one I am most proud of was a lifetime vegetarian who while visiting me from Quebec with his Vegetarian fiance sudenly gobbles down and Elk roast turns to his future wife with elk blood dripping down his chin and says I got get me a gun!

Wild one
05-27-2009, 01:10 PM
4 that I helped with course and all but I have taken out a good number of newbies as well.

mxracer328
05-27-2009, 01:44 PM
i got my buddy to start hunting more regularly, slowly turning him into a good hunting partner, hes a little bit timmid when it comes to the messy part tho,

damn sally, ill break him of that yet

deer nut
05-27-2009, 02:30 PM
I've mentored 5 new hunters in the past few years by re-invigorating a friend's love for the outdoors (and organic meat), thereby bringing his sons and a couple friends into the pursuit.

Only trouble is, I always fall into the role of "sargeant", reinforcing the regs., gun safety etc. so they all think I am a hard ass now! Also, I have to manage expectations - by letting them know they have to hunt on their own too! I still have my own hunts to plan!

Mentoring isn't always easy, but it is rewarding.

wetcoastwillie
05-27-2009, 03:41 PM
I'm good for a couple....

One was very anti hunting... just out of ignorance....

Now that he knows better....... ;-)

MOWITCH SLAYER
05-27-2009, 06:32 PM
In 32 years of hunting i can only think of 5, Still get out with all of them. 2 years ago i had to help one of them gut a moose over the phone , good thing he got a signal on his cell

pupper
05-27-2009, 06:35 PM
Ive encouraged 3 people to get the CORE and then took them out for their first big game animal harvests.

quadrakid
05-27-2009, 07:37 PM
Three for me,two have kept at it.

sparkes3
05-27-2009, 07:58 PM
one last weekend (sucessful black bear hunt) and two more this weekend many more since i started hunting years ago

The Hermit
05-27-2009, 09:54 PM
3 so far and one young guy under my wing and as soon as he is old enough... right Brennan??

Gotta give J-T props for getting me excited about a casual interest I had in bowhunting and helping me to translate that intention into action... especially for inviting me to his family elk camp!

Gateholio
05-28-2009, 09:59 PM
I think i can guess why they were better hunting partners :)

Yup, they listened to direction, shot well, were enthusiastic at all times, didnt' get discouraged, and helped out with everything. ;)

sneg
05-28-2009, 10:10 PM
at least 4 for me.some other can not count as hunters,but just occasional goers to woods.

Paulyman
05-28-2009, 10:10 PM
Yup, they listened to direction, shot well, were enthusiastic at all times, didnt' get discouraged, and helped out with everything. ;)

I suppose it's a little easier to find girls in Pemberton that are into hunting :)

longhairmtnman
05-29-2009, 09:11 AM
5 and counting. Not including my kids!;)

huntwriter
05-29-2009, 03:28 PM
Counting those that took the CORE course in my classes it must be well over 100 in addition to about 20 that I took out on my in the field hunting courses.

That is only here in Canada. In America I am part of an organization that helps kids from non-hunting families to become hunters. So far I've helped over 200 kids to become hunters through that organization. My part is to take them out on actual hunting trips with bow or firearm and show them how to scout, set up stands, use deer/turkey calls, game scent and how to hunt successfully. Most of these kids take a deer or turkey in the first two days.

BC30cal
05-29-2009, 04:58 PM
Paulyman;
I'm not sure if I'm allowed to count the folks in the CORE and PAL courses that I've helped coordinate and teach or not?

I instructed the PAL course for 5 years I think, but am no longer active as an instructor there.

I guess the CORE thing started in '88 or thereabouts and we run through somewhere between 12-24 students a year in the course we put on at the Oliver gun club each March.

I knew I'd been at it for some time when one of the younger students parents called my by name. I didn't recognize the man and asked how he knew me. He replied that I'd taught him when he was his son's age! :lol:

Anyway, I'd like to send out a tip of the hat to any of you who have taken the time and energy to introduce anyone to hunting.

If you have taken out a young hunter, you get a tip of the hat and a heart felt thank you from me for helping make our future world a better place.

Thanks for the thread as well.

Dwayne

XMD70
05-29-2009, 11:04 PM
Well, I`ve been teaching the CORE course since 1976.and the PAL since it started up. My count is probably well into the thousands by now. I think I`m most proud of all the kids I put through the CORE when I taught it as a part of an Environmental ED course in a high school for a few years. We ran a trapline and skinned the animals in the classroom. We ran fund raisers selling bear stew in the school cafeteria (just try that today!) I even kept a glass beehive in the classroom and then had the kids extact the honey using an old hand crank centrifuge. We camped out, and we went ice fishing too. Lots of wonderful times!

moosehunter21
05-29-2009, 11:10 PM
Iam young (22) but I have gotten 3 girls (one being my sister and 2 gf's) into hunting and 2 of my High School Buddies into in and they all are thankful for it every time we go out.

Bowtime
05-30-2009, 09:00 AM
Took my girlfriend out for her first moose. theres 1 for me. Working on her younger brother, I should have 2 by the end of the bear season.

huntergirl270
09-12-2009, 01:32 PM
My hubby can boast at least 6, me being one of them but I'll betcha he won't post about it. He was even able to convince my very opinionated "anti" parents that hunting was a positive thing for our wildlife not a negative thing.

Bromley
09-12-2009, 03:56 PM
From when I got my PAL 6 months ago 4. Two younger bros, uncle, and cousin weowwwww

Flin Flon
09-12-2009, 06:00 PM
I'll count five. 3 of them are just crazy about it. My nephew is texting me all the time 350 days to go 120 days 50 days it almost drives me crazy. My son well I have to live with him can't get away from him and I might add I love it.

J_T
09-12-2009, 06:58 PM
I would say there are two types of influence. Direct and Indirect. Indirectly I was a CORE instructor for a number of years and later an IBEP instructor, the spirit as an instructor is responsible for kindling an interest. I have published a bowhunting magazine for almost 13 years and that as well, must contribute in some way.

Directly if we exclude guys like Hermit who where simply confused about which way they swung and I just helped them through the process of finding their true spirit, I have directly influenced somewhere between 10 and 15 people that have taken up a weapon for the first time under my mentoring and guidance.

snowhunter
09-12-2009, 10:03 PM
Two women and one of the husbands, last year. They all got to shoot a deer, and the husband shoot two deers. He told me that he found hunting to be easy :)

So far only only one fella this year. A british immigrant who never hunted before. Look forward to take him hunting.

Tutering new hunters/huntresses is fun.

And Gatehouse, you are spoiled with all these good looking women around you all the time, you have to learn to share :)