PDA

View Full Version : Trolling With Flies

hunterofthedeer
05-26-2009, 10:23 PM
I seen someone on cluculz lake trolling with a fly. Has anyone done this before? For fly choice would you just catch as many bugs on the lake and try to match a fly to them? I have never fly fished or ever used a flyrod. I am very eager to learn. If anyone would share some info it would be greatly appritiated.
Thanks Hunterofthedeer

No Tag Soup Please
05-26-2009, 10:43 PM
i always troll flies on lakes, i hate casting. Even in my belly boat i just troll around.

landphil
05-26-2009, 10:59 PM
I troll leaches from the belly boat most of the time with good results

Sasquatch
05-26-2009, 11:34 PM
I troll flies whenever I get tired of casting. I like larger flies for trolling, streamers and muddlers #6 to #12

hunterofthedeer
05-26-2009, 11:38 PM
see i have no idea about flies and we bought a fly reel last year and now from watching videos and wfn it looks pretty exciting. thelake we fish at has a time of day when the fish are just putting their noses above the water abd grabbing bugs and i figured it would be a good time to use a flyrod

Sasquatch
05-26-2009, 11:46 PM
thelake we fish at has a time of day when the fish are just putting their noses above the water abd grabbing bugs and i figured it would be a good time to use a flyrod

It would be a good time to use a fly, but you may be better off just chucking it out a couple of rod lengths and letting the fly sit on the surface when they are rising like that.

Steeleco
05-27-2009, 05:59 AM
They always seem to eat leaches, catch your first fish on one, then pump it's stomach to see what else they're eating.

wapitiwhacker
05-27-2009, 06:50 AM
Leeches, and get a few colors- black, brown, green,red. The boys at Bon Voyage Sports will help you out. Have fun!

mrdoog
05-27-2009, 09:49 AM
see i have no idea about flies and we bought a fly reel last year and now from watching videos and wfn it looks pretty exciting. thelake we fish at has a time of day when the fish are just putting their noses above the water abd grabbing bugs and i figured it would be a good time to use a flyrod

When the fish are on the surface like that try look around and see what bugs are either sitting on the water or swirling about. Quite often if they are feeding heavy anything that is close will get strikes. Other times they are very finnicky, drives you crazy.
Once you see one swirl at your fly you're going to be hooked on flyfishing.

Trolling works, leeches, spratleys, halfbacks, Knouff Lake specials.
If the fish are rising I troll along the edge of the weedbed or follow the drop offs.

Flyfishing is a hoot.

rocksteady
05-27-2009, 10:42 AM
Trolling has been really productive for me this spring.

I have been using a sinking line with a green wooly bugger and getting my limit just about every time out.

Last weekend I was out, however during the day a huge hatch of mayflys occurred and silly me, I had left my spare reel, which is pre-loaded with floating line, in the truck...In that case I would have switched to a floating line and a mayfly look-alike fly...

Flyfishing is fun, any fish over about a pound on a light fly rod feels like Moby Dick, and it is highly addictive...

frenchbar
05-27-2009, 11:25 AM
Leeches and spratlys are good flies to troll with . Istarted flyfishing about 13 yrs ago and havent touched a spinning rod since.

goatdancer
05-27-2009, 11:35 AM
Try a multitip fly line. It is a floating line with 4 or 5 different sink tips. That way if you want to troll you can change tips to get down to the depth you need. If the fish start rising, you take off the sink tip and can cast to your hearts content. See if you can get into a fly casting course. It will make a great difference in your ability to cast.

hunterofthedeer
05-27-2009, 06:09 PM
Flyfishing is fun, any fish over about a pound on a light fly rod feels like Moby Dick, and it is highly addictive...
The fish we are catching are around 1 1/2 to 2 pounds

ferndogger
05-27-2009, 06:50 PM
fly fishing is the best. I grew up fishing tons, always loved it, but just started fly fishing about 5 years ago. I will probably never pick up a spinning or baitcasting rod ever again, it just cant compare at all. No better feeling then seeing a fish rise to your fly.

hunterofthedeer
05-27-2009, 07:31 PM
like i have said never flyfished alls i do is troll and very rarely cast.

Bobber
05-27-2009, 08:40 PM
always had luck with black leeches with a red belly or anything olive

killman
05-27-2009, 09:22 PM
One thing to remember is that 90% of the time fish feed under the water. So don't waste alot of time fishing on the surface. Unless of course there is a hatch all around you, which can get good. Trolling a fly can be very productive. Leeches, Doc spratley's, Knouff lake specials. Basically any fly that is more of a "attractor" than meant to imitate one particular insect. Make sure your try different colors as well. Spratley's in green, red and black can cover a number of different insects.

mrdoog
05-27-2009, 10:22 PM
like i have said never flyfished alls i do is troll and very rarely cast.

No problemo!
One thing to keep in mind is to troll slow.
Sometimes during the summer trolling fast enough to bring your line up, then
shutting the power off and bringing in the line by hand works wonders.

Kevin So
05-29-2009, 01:56 AM
I have always had luck with a fast sinking line and leach patterns, black with red , olive and sometime scuds work good too. I like to also keep my figers on the line as I troll, some times they hit light. Keep that fly far away from the boat and good luck.

gmcgilli66
05-31-2009, 10:08 PM
Check out the "flyfishbc" site for more in-depth info. Some good info here, but possibly more there.

boyd050
06-01-2009, 09:02 PM
much to my buddy hotloads chagrin, I love trolling flies on a sinking line, I and my usual fishing buddy peaco hit every lake we can and then some. we always do real well...spratleys!!! i've caught some pigs this way, i don't hardly fish any other way now...you just can't beat being on a lake in the spring summer, just mooching along, then....zzzzzzzzzz off goes your reel... not much more exciting than that.!! you'll be hooked(pun intended)!

Spy
06-01-2009, 09:15 PM
Olive green woolly bugger with a red tail trauled or fished dead slow is deadly.Its my anywhere go to fly.

ElkMasterC
06-01-2009, 09:32 PM
I was at Alouette the other day and tried leeches to no avail.
Nailed some Kokanee and Whitefish on a red/yellow Mickey Finn.
I have a pontoon boat, so I like to leave lots of line out, and have a nice paddle. Maybe cuz I suck at casting...... ;-)

ultramagbob
06-01-2009, 09:34 PM
People that troll flies are the same as road hunters..Lazy pricks:roll:

boxhitch
06-01-2009, 10:43 PM
People that troll flies are the same as road hunters..Lazy pricks:roll:whats lazy about rowing a lake? Sitting at anchor, now thats lazy.
The longer the fly is in the water, the better chances are. I have yet to see one jump to catch a flying hook.
The tricky part of trolling is to be slow enough. Dead slow is almost too fast.
Love the black Spratley. Tied weedless, of course.

Wolfman
06-02-2009, 09:36 AM
They always seem to eat leaches, catch your first fish on one, then pump it's stomach to see what else they're eating.

I've trolled 'em before too, with decent results.

Anything that eats leeches is okay in my books too. I hate those muther^&%$!!ers

tomahawk
06-02-2009, 09:38 AM

I agree, trolling a leach has been my ticket for northern lakes for sure.

frenchbar
06-02-2009, 01:13 PM
People that troll flies are the same as road hunters..Lazy pricks:roll:

Those Fly guys who fish chroneys and stare at a corky all day ..now thats hard work:wink:

boyd050
06-02-2009, 05:36 PM
People that troll flies are the same as road hunters..Lazy pricks:roll:hmm.... beats sitting here in front of a computer screen.... see you're here alot...... no firends to go fishing with????;)

ultramagbob
06-02-2009, 05:46 PM
hmm.... beats sitting here in front of a computer screen.... see you're here alot...... no firends to go fishing with????;)

Hmmm Lets see...Since the first of May ive spent about 20 days on the water.Your right about no friends though..They all want to troll.

holmes76
06-09-2009, 10:16 PM
I trolled a royal coachman and a wedding band with a worm the other day.Trolled around for about three hours and the only fish i hooked was on the fly. Small trout that jumped four times before it got off but it was still fun hooking it. Read an article in a fly fishing magazine the other day about trolling dry flies and decided to try it.