PDA

View Full Version : quad game hoist

ratherbefishin
05-26-2009, 02:54 PM
I was looking at game hoists for quads and figured I could make a simple extendable[pinned] pipe A frame attached[detachable] to the front of my quad with a block at the apex and using my winch cable running over it.The A frame could be easily stabalized by a cable running from the apex attached to the back of the quad.Seems to me it would be an easy way to greatly increase the use of the winch.You could probably make attachable to both front or back,although I don't like the idea of the winch going back over the seat-although that need not be a safety factor if the winch was operated from off the quad.

boxhitch
05-26-2009, 06:36 PM
It could be done that way........
Or pack an axe, cut three poles for a tripod, hang the block, pull up the carcass with winch or tow rope.
An Axe is much more portable then a gantry.

moosinaround
05-26-2009, 06:39 PM
Snatch block and some rope works well too. Lot less stuff to carry for sure! Moosin

M.Dean
05-26-2009, 08:18 PM
If your going to use the game hoist just to get the animal on the rack of the quad, what you can try instead is backing your bike up a bit of a hill, a ditch with a bank works real good, the front of the bike will be dam near level with the ground, roll the animal onto the rack and tie it down real good, drive the bike forward and finish tying it down. We've done this lots and may be easier that trying to lift a deer or moose quarters in the air. I would think if you had a A frame on the front of your quad and tried to lift to much weight, the rear wheels would just lift off the ground.

ratherbefishin
05-26-2009, 08:41 PM
I'm thinking how much easier it is to gut,skin or quarter a deer hanging than on the ground..I think having a gantry would extend the usefulness of the winch for lifting anything-even loading into a truck,providing it didn't pull the quad over.Don'tknow-I may play with the idea -wouldn't cost much to make a prototype-just some pipe and a snatch block.I think it would have to be attached to the frame,maybe a larger pipe that the gantry would slip into.I'd make it in two sections,and hinged at the top to make it collapsable,it would be as easy to set up as slipping it into the pipe fitting on the frame

Moosetang
11-08-2009, 09:42 AM
Works like a hot damm. Although I can't imagine why you would want to raise it up to gut an animal in the feild but this works good for loading and hauling, skinning and hanging on the meat rack.

Procedure: Shoot animal dead first :mrgreen:. Makes it a lot easier to get on the trailer. (1) Gut animal in the field 15 - 20 minutes (2) Drive Mag-Riv with quad over to animal. (3) String winch cable out over pulley to the animal winch animal up onto deck. 3 minutes :wink:.
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/Loading_Moose_4.jpg
(4) Throw strap over animal to secure for transport. 2 minutes :wink:
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/Haulin_Moose_2.jpg
(5) Head for camp and meat rack. (6) Back into rack and string out winch cable over block on rack and down to animal and run hook through the pelvic region. :wink:
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/Skinning_Made_Easy.jpg
(7) Say " Nice shootin' " to who ever shot the animal and procede to start skinning hind legs out above the knee knuckle. Whack off below the knee with saw. (8) Raise animal with winch on trailer to an easy workable height and complete the skinning.
(9) Hang on meat hooks (bent rebar) and go into camp shack for breakfast
3 Eggs, bacon, beans, hash browns and toast & coffee. :redface:

bearhunter338-06
11-08-2009, 11:30 AM
Umm you got one too many moose, I'll take one off your hands.........:-)

BearStump
11-08-2009, 11:44 AM
ratherbefishin I was looking at game hoists for quads and figured I could make a simple extendable[pinned] pipe A frame attached[detachable] to the front of my quad with a block at the apex and using my winch cable running over it.The A frame could be easily stabalized by a cable running from the apex attached to the back of the quad.Seems to me it would be an easy way to greatly increase the use of the winch.You could probably make attachable to both front or back,although I don't like the idea of the winch going back over the seat-although that need not be a safety factor if the winch was operated from off the quad.

I really like your idea. would be great for deer, can you make me one while you're at it.:):)
I'm no physics major but would have to guess that any more than 250 lbs or so might flip the quad onto its nose, assuming that the quad is around 700 lbs.
if it were collapsable and fit into the rear box you'd be laughin'.

gostquad
11-08-2009, 01:32 PM
i don't know why u guys insist on handling ,transporting or hanging whole animals when it is SO much easier to deal with just quarters.the butcher or yourself when its time for cutting has to seperate the carcass into manageable pieces anyway to work on it--or am i wrong ?the last2 years i shot 3 deer and one moose and none of em where gutted . by the time one guts a animal i got both front quarters or one backstrap and one front quarter off depending on how the animal lies . hindquarters are a little trickier it is helpfull to have the ass end alittle uphill from the belly so that the guts inside are kept away. for me it works best to first skin it open where i intend to make my cuts .follow the folds of the leg in the groin keep the edge of the knife slightly angeled away from the belly. cut down and you naturaly come to the hipbone . cut into the cartilage and work the "ball" free keep cutting around the end and stay and slice around the tailbone and presto the leg is off. tools required --one sharp knife - and sharpening stone for moose. helpfull--partner with flashlight lol my animals always seem to pick late evening for their last meal so give it a try when u r not pushed by fading light or blowflys ready to overwelm you! once you got this u will NEVER go back to the old way . oh yeah and leave on one hind the balls. we have been checked by the CO'S twice and where told both times nice job boys !!! now go out there and put one down !

Moosetang
11-09-2009, 08:27 AM
i don't know why u guys insist on handling ,transporting or hanging whole animals when it is SO much easier to deal with just quarters.the butcher or yourself when its time for cutting has to seperate the carcass into manageable pieces anyway to work on it--or am i wrong ?the last2 years i shot 3 deer and one moose and none of em where gutted . by the time one guts a animal i got both front quarters or one backstrap and one front quarter off depending on how the animal lies . hindquarters are a little trickier it is helpfull to have the ass end alittle uphill from the belly so that the guts inside are kept away. for me it works best to first skin it open where i intend to make my cuts .follow the folds of the leg in the groin keep the edge of the knife slightly angeled away from the belly. cut down and you naturaly come to the hipbone . cut into the cartilage and work the "ball" free keep cutting around the end and stay and slice around the tailbone and presto the leg is off. tools required --one sharp knife - and sharpening stone for moose. helpfull--partner with flashlight lol my animals always seem to pick late evening for their last meal so give it a try when u r not pushed by fading light or blowflys ready to overwelm you! once you got this u will NEVER go back to the old way . oh yeah and leave on one hind the balls. we have been checked by the CO'S twice and where told both times nice job boys !!! now go out there and put one down !

I gut them in the field and pack them out whole because they stay cleaner and I have the means to haul them out whole. Not every body does have a small trailer and for them it is probably easier to quarter them in the feild. So far there isn't any place we can not get that trailer behind the quad. When we hang them whole they take up less room on the meat rack and makes skinning way easier. Sometimes there are as many as thirteen guys in our camp the first week any way (tapers down to about 7 the second week) so that is a lot of moose to hang if we do well. I have never seen an animal done the way you suggest. Wish I could see it in action. Sounds interesting but at some point you still have to gut the guts away from the carcass I would think.

Moosetang
11-09-2009, 08:29 AM
Umm you got one too many moose, I'll take one off your hands.........:-)

There are a lot of us in camp so we don't have to many. Although we did limit out one year in 8 1/2 days. That was an exceptional year.