PDA

View Full Version : Hunting with cattle decoys

RiverBoatFantasy
05-26-2009, 01:23 PM
Last year I had tremendous success stalking deer and sheep in cattle country. I walked towards the game with a cow on a lead. I was able to get within 200 yards of sheep herds and deer herds feeding in open grassland.

This year I am taking it to a new level. (transporting and walking with a cow is a major inconvenience and she would not pack)

I will be utilizing a two man cow costume.

I am looking for interested parties that would like to be the back end of the cow.

This technique should be very effective for stalking game in cattle country.

ferndogger
05-26-2009, 01:28 PM
Thats a great Idea! I was thinking along the same lines. When I get my Elk cow tag, I am going to get a Bull Elk costume, thinking like a nice big 8 pointer, and walk around in that during the rut. The cow will see me and since I will be a huge "trophy" bull she will want to mate with me then come towards me.... then Bang! should be done on the first day of the hunt. Such a good idea, cant believe no one has though of that before.

500grhollowpoint
05-26-2009, 01:42 PM
Omg that's a new one.....

Ddog
05-26-2009, 02:23 PM
so old,,,back in the 80's they used to sell the cow costumes in field and stream in the adds in the back of the magazine.

vanislehunter1
05-26-2009, 02:41 PM
http://gooseview.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=GIS&Product_Code=GVI-CC1 :biggrin: There ya go!!

hunterofthedeer
05-26-2009, 02:53 PM
http://gooseview.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=GIS&Product_Code=GVI-CC1 :biggrin: There ya go!!
That is different and only 50.00$!:-D

ElkMasterC
05-26-2009, 03:01 PM
Excellent ideas.
Take Elker with you....he's used to talking out of his a$$, so it shouldn't be a stretch for him.
;-) :D

SLIK
05-26-2009, 04:10 PM
sign me up

Brett
05-26-2009, 07:18 PM
that's great! confident cow looks to be a cardboard cut out? Take a picture and hit Staples. :)

Riverratz
05-26-2009, 07:29 PM
I have a friend who is willing to be the front end of a horse.

But ............that would mean you would have to be a back end of a horse.

This would be a very effective technique for stalking cattle in sheep country.

waistdeep
05-26-2009, 07:42 PM
well I do know that on a horse you can ride right up to a deer that is bedded and I have had bull moose want to mate with my horse (with me riding) so .....yep.... heck of an idea

Big Lew
05-26-2009, 07:46 PM
Thats a great Idea! I was thinking along the same lines. When I get my Elk cow tag, I am going to get a Bull Elk costume, thinking like a nice big 8 pointer, and walk around in that during the rut. The cow will see me and since I will be a huge "trophy" bull she will want to mate with me then come towards me.... then Bang! should be done on the first day of the hunt. Such a good idea, cant believe no one has though of that before.
Man, are you going to get stomped when she realizes you can't perform!

M.Dean
05-26-2009, 08:02 PM
Where do I buy a ticket to watch this????

killman
05-26-2009, 08:09 PM
Haven't you seen that Val Kilmer move "top Secret"?

I don't think this is a good idea.

huntwriter
05-26-2009, 08:18 PM
Last year I had tremendous success stalking deer and sheep in cattle country. I walked towards the game with a cow on a lead. I was able to get within 200 yards of sheep herds and deer herds feeding in open grassland.

This year I am taking it to a new level. (transporting and walking with a cow is a major inconvenience and she would not pack)

I will be utilizing a two man cow costume.

I am looking for interested parties that would like to be the back end of the cow.

This technique should be very effective for stalking game in cattle country.

In cattle country where deer are used to see cattle it can be great working with a cow decoy. I used to hunt on a cattle ranch and no bush to hide or tree to hang a stand for miles. I made a cow decoy with thin plywood cut it in half and added two hinges. This decoy worked like a charm, was cheap and easy to make.

On location I unfolded the black angus decoy and then walk it to within bowhunting distance (25 yards for me) to the deer.Only once a deer spooked when a heavy wind gust blew the decoy out of my hand. I guess even deer know that cows can't fly.:smile:

Blainer
05-26-2009, 08:43 PM
Jackass?
May be another option.

ultramagbob
05-26-2009, 08:46 PM
Stone Sheep Steve or Rams will be signing up for sure.

Stone Sheep Steve
05-26-2009, 09:07 PM
Stone Sheep Steve or Rams will be signing up for sure.

I've already done it......... just looking for the old pics:).

The old "Trojan Holstein" trick works every time!8)

I know UMB won't let the word "Trojan" slip by without a comment:roll:

SSS

SPEYMAN
05-26-2009, 09:43 PM
It would be "hard to not codom" this effort.

bowhunterbruce
05-26-2009, 09:51 PM

Man, are you going to get stomped when she realizes you can't perform!

not only that but what about all the guys out there who have dreamed of shooting an 8 point bull elk???? better put a saftey vest on your 8 pt decoy

RiverBoatFantasy
05-26-2009, 09:54 PM
The guy in the back of the costume has to be prepared to quickly reach around, grab the gun, and squeeze off a quick shot, upon the direction of the front party.

Ron.C
05-26-2009, 09:58 PM
mmmmm. This whole thing kind of reminds me of this movie

http://tbn1.google.com/images?q=tbn:6yDVYQqzLgob-M:https://www.movieposter.com/posters/archive/main/22/A70-11143 (http://images.google.ca/imgres?imgurl=https://www.movieposter.com/posters/archive/main/22/A70-11143&imgrefurl=https://www.movieposter.com/poster/A70-11143/Top_Secret.html&usg=__1wnRLfzy3pAN2-z0kGygzmq9R88=&h=762&w=500&sz=55&hl=en&start=23&um=1&tbnid=6yDVYQqzLgob-M:&tbnh=142&tbnw=93&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dmovies%2B%2522top%2Bsecret%2522%26nds p%3D18%26hl%3Den%26rlz%3D1W1ADBS_en%26sa%3DN%26sta rt%3D18%26um%3D1)

As I can recall, the fellow in the back of the suit was the one that got all the action :eek::p

gamehunter6o
05-26-2009, 10:30 PM
Disguising yourself in a disguise is nothing new. Kiwi women have been doing it for years. Cover themselves in makeup, 100 buck hair job, dressed up "to the nines" and boy do we blokes get sucked in, big time.:biggrin:

05-26-2009, 11:30 PM
who needs a confidence cow when you have this!!!!

http://www.anniescostumes.com/mus169.jpg

sawmill
05-27-2009, 05:56 AM
The guy in the back of the costume has to be prepared to quickly reach around, grab the gun, and squeeze off a quick shot, upon the direction of the front party.
Yep,Nothing like a good reach around.:p

ratherbefishin
05-27-2009, 06:31 AM
-this maybe a slight variation-true story too-one guy was ''doing his business''and came running out of the bush pulling his pants up-a bull heard the grunting....

hunter1947
05-27-2009, 06:46 AM
Go for it you have nothing to loose ,only to gain http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon12.gif.

mrdoog
05-27-2009, 03:24 PM

Funny, I always pictured you as pitcher, instead of a catcher.

RiverBoatFantasy
05-27-2009, 03:33 PM
The main desire for me while hunting is getting a shot off and scoring a hit and watching others do likewise:razz:

I am constructing the cow decoy suit with Goretex so the heat and steam can escape. It will also have shooting flaps front, back and both sides.

curt
05-28-2009, 08:09 AM
so by this time next year we will still be talking about those poor *******s that got shot while dressed like a domestic cow or a bull elk!!!!! As sad as that would be it would be almost comical as well!!!:lol:

RiverBoatFantasy
05-28-2009, 08:22 AM
I lower the odds of being shot while utilizing this technique by restricting such hunting to private lands where no others are allowed to hunt.;)

so by this time next year we will still be talking about those poor *******s that got shot while dressed like a domestic cow or a bull elk!!!!! As sad as that would be it would be almost comical as well!!!:lol:

sawmill
05-28-2009, 09:11 AM
Wonder if he`s hunting that Broke Back Mountain area?Don`t worry about getting shot,just watch out for the Cow Pokes.:eek:

Elkhound
05-28-2009, 09:16 AM
I lower the odds of being shot while utilizing ths technique by restricting such hunting to private lands where no others are allowed to hunt.;)

Yup, cause everyone follows the rules and no hunter would ever hunt on land he does not have permission on to hunt oh if only this was a perfect world. lol

RiverBoatFantasy
05-28-2009, 09:34 AM
The most difficult part is choosing the "perfect" partner to enjoy hunting pleasure in a cow suit.

I absolutely guarantee complete privacy and no interference from other uninvited hunters.

There is the chance that one of those "ride em cowboy" types shows up with rope and riata to assist with challenging situations.

Yup, cause everyone follows the rules and no hunter would ever hunt on land he does not have permission on to hunt oh if only this was a perfect world. lol

RiverBoatFantasy
05-28-2009, 09:59 AM
Now that is a good reply!

The area I hunt is named Butt Crack Mountin.

Wonder if he`s hunting that Broke Back Mountain area?Don`t worry about getting shot,just watch out for the Cow Pokes.:eek:

elkdom
05-28-2009, 10:04 AM
Have you tried " COW PIE CAMMO " ??? :idea:

bullmagnum
05-28-2009, 10:42 AM

good luck fending off the competetive bulls with no tag, and then explaining to the CO just wtf you were doing. LOL

sawmill
05-28-2009, 10:56 AM
[quote=RiverBoatFantasy;464199]The most difficult part is choosing the "perfect" partner to enjoy hunting pleasure in a cow suit.

I absolutely guarantee complete privacy and no interference from other uninvited hunters.

O K,you are pretty damn funny:lol:A bit scarey but funny!

Jay 7mm
05-28-2009, 12:35 PM
hahaha reading this tread was halarious... wow so much can go wrong.. to funny... but let us know how it turns out when you find an ass for your head lol ....