PDA

View Full Version : question for sheep hunters (feet)

leadpillproductions
05-25-2009, 10:16 PM
I went for a hike today ,my feet were so sore felt like there on fire .No matter what boots i use they feel like there going to get blisters . what are you guyes useing for saving your feet .

leadpillproductions
05-25-2009, 11:15 PM
this should be posted right this time

Fisher-Dude
05-26-2009, 05:38 AM
What are you wearing for socks? Better be using a material that wicks moisture (polypro, etc) instead of cotton. Damp, sweaty feet will blister.

gbear
05-26-2009, 06:19 AM
Like Fisher-Dude said, make sure you are wearing good moisture wicking socks. On sheep hunts, I have also put some body glide on my feet. It's a product made to help prevent blisters. I put it on all the time on long runs so I figured I would try it on long hikes sheep hunting. Also make sure your boots are fitting you well.

Ruger4
05-26-2009, 06:35 AM
Good socks and a well broken in pair of Irish Setters:mrgreen:

GoatGuy
05-26-2009, 07:09 AM
What are you wearing for socks? Better be using a material that wicks moisture (polypro, etc) instead of cotton. Damp, sweaty feet will blister.

Turn the heat from floor to defrost then - or roll up the windows a bit. :biggrin:

leadpillproductions
05-26-2009, 11:55 AM
Like Fisher-Dude said, make sure you are wearing good moisture wicking socks. On sheep hunts, I have also put some body glide on my feet. It's a product made to help prevent blisters. I put it on all the time on long runs so I figured I would try it on long hikes sheep hunting. Also make sure your boots are fitting you well.+

where are you buying body glide.

bigwhiteys
05-26-2009, 03:39 PM
To save my feet I have/do the following...

#1. Good Boots. (Hanwag Trapper Top)
#2. Good Quality Footbed/Insert. (Lathrop High Country)
#3. Expensive Socks & Change Them Often. (Thorlo Trekkers)
#4. Air Out Feet While Resting/Glassing. (Take My Boots & Socks Off)
#5. Soak Feet In Cool Creek At End Of Day/During Day.
#6. Two Ibuprofen with my Mountain House Dinner Every Night.

Other things you could try are:

Liner Socks (thin merino wool type)
Different Socks (as already suggested)
Vaseline (used to work good in our Rugby Boots)

Carl

500grhollowpoint
05-26-2009, 04:59 PM
Good boots, good socks, quit being a wuss.

ufishifish2
05-28-2009, 11:59 PM
Hike more often, build up those calouses. Air out those feet as often as possible, and buy moisturizers specifically made for feet. Apply in the evening a few times while you are resting your sore feet .

Mik
05-29-2009, 05:27 AM
Climbing the mountains for Goat (not sheep), but thought I would reply anyways... 60/40% Wool Blend Socks, and have never had a problem with blisters.

BillyBull
05-29-2009, 08:01 AM
As mentioned, 60/40% wool blend, proper fitting good quality boots, but I really do enjoy the mid day soak of my feet in a cool mountain stream.

StoneChaser
05-29-2009, 08:20 AM
First and foremost, a good pair of well fitting boots is critical (heel lift or slopping around will cause skin abrasion and spawn blisters).

I won't wear poly pro socks or any other slippery sock anymore (be it solo or be it layered with another sock) as I find them too slippery on side hills (even with great fitting boots my feet seem to slide ever so slightly, and over time I start to feel a few "hot spots"...a sure fire recipie for blisters).

My preferred method is frowned upon by most "pros", but I wear COTTON sport socks under light wool socks (I find the wool wicks away the most of the sweat from the cotton, and the snug fitting sock doesn't cause skin abrasion).

I've worn out several pairs of boots with this combo and have never had a single blister.

Good luck.

bigwhiteys
05-29-2009, 11:10 AM
My preferred method is frowned upon by most "pros", but I wear COTTON sport socks under light wool socks (I find the wool wicks away the most of the sweat from the cotton, and the snug fitting sock doesn't cause skin abrasion).

This was pretty common for guys to do when I was playing Rugby. It worked really well, especially when you were playing on rough/hard pitches. (the studs pushing into the bottom of your feet creates the hotspots)

You'd only have them on for 80 minutes so sweating wasn't much of an issue, probably wouldn't be in the mountains either if you changed them, or aired them out during breaks etc...

Carl

harbinger
05-29-2009, 01:27 PM
a dusting of foot powder each time you change your socks helps as well. You should change your socks half way through the day if you have he luxury of time and patient partners. The comment about airing out your feet is a great one!

leadpillproductions
05-29-2009, 01:31 PM
I just picket up some new moister wicking soxs going to give those a try.

05-30-2009, 09:47 PM
I carry a couple pairs of insoles (good ones) and I throw in a new sets when I change my socks every few hours or so. And like was already said, I take off my boots and socks when glassing. Also I bring a real light cheap pair of flip flops for crossing creeks and I put those on at the end of the day instead of wearing my boots around camp. Don`t cheap out on the socks even if they are a total rip.