PDA

View Full Version : Kootenays Elk hunting?

Brent376
05-25-2009, 09:22 PM
I am planning on taking my 15 year old son on his first Elk hunt in September. There is a youth/senior opening and I was hoping to get some information about where to go etc... I have never been there but maybe I can go in the Summer to scout and learn a little about an area if I know where to start

Thank you for any information

martyonthewater
05-25-2009, 10:00 PM
I'm not sure but i think the only region open for the youth/senior hunt is reg 4-23 near the alberta border. I don't know where you call home but it is a hell of a drive from my yard.

kootenay redneck
05-25-2009, 10:21 PM
try creston lots of elk there early you would be surprised might even see some nice bulls just have to get on a logging road and go from there..

Caretaker
05-25-2009, 11:03 PM
I took my son on his first Elk hunt in the kootenays, they have a special season for under 18 and 65 or older anterless, 4-03,10 minutes west of Cranbrook in the City Alfalfa fields, he will have his choice of any Cow he wants, I know my son did.

Good Luck, Caretaker

bowhunterbruce
05-26-2009, 05:39 AM
pretty much anywhere in zone x for cows would be my first choice to take a kid hunting for elk during the youth/senior season.its pretty much a gimme if you do a little scouting and talk to a few farmers.
goodluck

hunter1947
05-26-2009, 06:15 AM
get maps of the area near cranbrook of where zone X areas are for youths and make sure that the area you chose is not private land ,then head in these area to hunt with your son.

When your there and this place don't work out have a second back up place to hunt .

I have not hunted in this one area for about 6 years but it used to be good for elk ,it is in the Ha Ha creek road area.

One other good area is the Peavine road ,this road is about 10k before you get into cranbrook on your right coming from Creston and then moey lake on the crows nest hi way number 3 ,find out if this area is zone X not sure of it but I do know that the peavine is below the 1100 hundred meter altitude..

This road is just outside cranbrook about 15k headed toward Jaffray on your right on hi way number 3-93 ,I am positive that Ha Ha creek is in zone X but make sure you are not on private property unless you have permission to hunt on the farmers land.

There is lots of crown land in this area so find out what is crown and what is not ,good luck.

05-26-2009, 10:10 AM
http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/fw/wildlife/hunting/resident/docs/elk_1100m_maps/Elk_BowOnly_Zone_X.pdf

This is the youth/senior/bow zone map, called zone-x. Note the zone does not include all areas below 1100 meters.

wapitiwhacker
05-26-2009, 10:50 AM
The city Alfalfa fields,also so known as toilet paper flats or the zhit fields. On the left side of the highway on the way to Fernie,west of Cranbrook. Good Luck!!

ferndogger
05-26-2009, 11:24 AM
Fernie is actually east of Cranbrook. But either way a good spot, see them there all the time

Ddog
05-26-2009, 11:41 AM
its actually really disgusting, and i laugh at the people that hunt the s hit fields, the smell that comes of those fields is soooooo bad during the summer months its not even funny, but hey they said that the water is drinkable when it gets there, but with a smell like that i wouldnt think so.
yet all these people come from miles and miles to hunt and camp there. i dont see how they can stand the smell.
for those of you that dont know, the shit fields are watered by the town of cranbrook waste water, thats right the brown trout lakes. and i know a few that work there and the "so called" clean water is clean in color but not in smell.

riflebuilder
05-26-2009, 12:14 PM
there are good numbers of Cow Elk in the Skookumchuck area almost any of the FSR in the area will have cow Elk. It is a big area to hunt and a little early scouting would not hurt. Good luck to your son I hope he gets a big fat healthy Cow.

wapitiwhacker
05-26-2009, 08:13 PM
Thanks Ferndogger! I've written the word "west" about 30 times today and it must have rolled off the fingers.

rocksteady
05-27-2009, 07:33 AM
"i laugh at the people that hunt the s hit fields" - Ddog

I agree with Darryl on this one. The effluent fields last year were an absolute gong show during the jr/sr season. People driving/road hunting every accessible road, tonnes of pressure, some real safety concerns occurred (shooting way after dark at a noise) and in MY OPINION I would not recommend that place for a juniour hunter to attempt to get his first elk..

If you are sure you are going to come I can point you to an area that has a lot less pressure but still with great odds of connecting....

PLUS, I won't eat elk from the fields, they do taste strange.

GoatGuy
05-27-2009, 08:34 AM
its actually really disgusting, and i laugh at the people that hunt the s hit fields, the smell that comes of those fields is soooooo bad during the summer months its not even funny, but hey they said that the water is drinkable when it gets there, but with a smell like that i wouldnt think so.
yet all these people come from miles and miles to hunt and camp there. i dont see how they can stand the smell.
for those of you that dont know, the shit fields are watered by the town of cranbrook waste water, thats right the brown trout lakes. and i know a few that work there and the "so called" clean water is clean in color but not in smell.

Where do you think the cranbrook tap water comes from?

Explains a lot.:razz:

Ddog
05-27-2009, 11:10 AM
I was driving past the shit fields last year going to my spot and it was about an hour before shooting light and i saw several people with guns getting ready to cross the road to look into the fields all about 100 yards apart from each other.
As Mike said there was a ton of pressure there last year and even more garbage left behind. Do not bring a new hunter in there for a try at his first elk. He/she may never want to hunt again.
GG-->that is not funny :)

Jimsue
06-03-2009, 11:38 AM
Does any one know when the youth hunt for elk opens this year? I was under the impression that it opens Sept 1st this year.

The Hermit
06-03-2009, 03:44 PM
As others had said, shy away from the shit fields it really is a gong show and you probably want to provide kido with a great experience not just a chance to shoot an elk. You might want to take a drive up the Bull River Road about 15km and hit the trails from there... its beautiful country and lots of opportunity to hike and see elk!

d6dan
06-03-2009, 04:16 PM
The city Alfalfa fields,also so known as toilet paper flats or the zhit fields. On the left side of the highway on the way to Fernie,west of Cranbrook. Good Luck!!

Thats just outside of Elko.The old Martin farm on the river flats..

Jelvis
06-03-2009, 04:53 PM
My older neighbor has a disability and is over 65 and wants to try for any sized bull elk, or cow/calf in and around Region 4 by Moyie and up to Cranbrook.
Any ideas on a good field or backroad near the roads cuz he has physical movement problems and I will help Kenny do the grunt work and get that bull or cow home friends.
Trying to find the reg's on those over 65 and disabilities for cow or any sized bull? What area and Mu etc.
Jel - help me help Kenny, with his first hunt? Thanks in advance.
What's the experts say-interpret this seasons reg's on those two please.

d6dan
06-03-2009, 06:06 PM
My older neighbor has a disability and is over 65 and wants to try for any sized bull elk, or cow/calf in and around Region 4 by Moyie and up to Cranbrook.
Any ideas on a good field or backroad near the roads cuz he has physical movement problems and I will help Kenny do the grunt work and get that bull or cow home friends.
Trying to find the reg's on those over 65 and disabilities for cow or any sized bull? What area and Mu etc.
Jel - help me help Kenny, with his first hunt? Thanks in advance.
What's the experts say-interpret this seasons reg's on those two please.

Get a hold of Hunter47, he's almost used to hunting with me and thats an accompishment!!! Anyway Jelvis does he have a permit to shoot from a vehicle? if not, he should get one, cause then we can hunt together..Burp..cheers.

GoatGuy
06-03-2009, 06:08 PM
My subtle hint is to get a canoe or inflatable and hit the rivers.:wink: Not too many guys have caught on to this in the EK yet.

d6dan
06-03-2009, 06:10 PM
My subtle hint is to get a canoe or inflatable and hit the rivers.:wink: Not too many guys have caught on to this in the EK yet.

Now thats a cool idea! All we need now is a little balance...

BCrams
06-03-2009, 06:44 PM

I love canoe's on rivers 8)

rocksteady
06-03-2009, 06:44 PM
Jelvie....

Any sized bull only during BOW season (Sep 1 - 9)
Cow/calf with a bow only in ZOne X (Sep 1-9)

SR/JR season - Antlerless (no bulls unless its a 6 point) in the X Zone, maps available online, GPS should be used too cause its only if oyu are under 1100 Metres...(Sep 10-20)

As far as disabled, no special season.....

BASED ON LAST YEARS REGS (not that his year will be too much different, I doubt)....

rocksteady
06-03-2009, 06:46 PM

Shhhhhhhhh!!!!!

Got to make sure you know if the land adjacent is private or Crown though..Always a challenge, most landowners don't post on the rivers edge...

Fisher-Dude
06-03-2009, 07:03 PM

Screw that! Too much work! Drive around on your quad until a six point stands on the side of the road (preferably the high side) and dump 'im!

ghost
06-03-2009, 07:43 PM
Hunted the crap fields a few years back during bow season. Fair share of ignorant people.Shot a whitetail tasted okay.Lots of beautiful area around elsewere to go in my opinion.

300H&H
06-03-2009, 08:28 PM
Screw that! Too much work! Drive around on your quad until a six point stands on the side of the road (preferably the high side) and dump 'im!

Now this is a true seasoned hunter :mrgreen: