PDA

View Full Version : Hanwags

Frosty
05-25-2009, 09:09 PM
I tried on a pair of Hanwags at Viberg in Victoria today, found out my size and what worked for me. Their price for the "trapper" line was $475. I'm just wondering if there is anywhere else, possibly in Vancouver or elsewhere where you can get better prices? A place that does a mail order or internet order would work for me as well.

Thanks alot.

waistdeep
05-25-2009, 09:45 PM
bought mine in Banff for about that price, great boots

Brambles
05-25-2009, 11:13 PM
bought mine in Banff for about that price, great boots

Does Monod's carry the Trapper top or just the Alaska GTX's? I bought my Alaska's through them but they never listed the different models. They also $325 so loads cheaper.

Duk Dog
05-26-2009, 05:29 AM
Give these guys a call.

http://www.trackntrail.ca/

BCrams
05-26-2009, 09:25 AM
Monod's and Track n Trail do not carry the 'Trappers' ... only Alaska GTX and Yukons.

You can check the Lathrop and Son's for the price on the 'Trappers'.

bigwhiteys
05-26-2009, 09:44 AM
I tried on a pair of Hanwags at Viberg in Victoria today, found out my size and what worked for me. Their price for the "trapper" line was $475. I'm just wondering if there is anywhere else, possibly in Vancouver or elsewhere where you can get better prices? A place that does a mail order or internet order would work for me as well.

I bought a set of the Trappers from Lathrop & Sons. Although they are a great outfit, excellent service, very knowledgable you will get a better deal at Viberg.

Unknown to most people there is a 20% canadian taffif placed on Boots coming from Germany and a few other european countries.

If you do the research you'll find that Lathrops wants $327 for the Trappers. Factor in the exchange the 20% duty, the tax and the shipping and you're better off buying local.

Carl

Frosty
05-26-2009, 08:12 PM
Thanks for the replies, I'll definatley check into those suggestions.

Frosty
05-27-2009, 07:40 PM
Hey, what differences do guys notice between the Alaska GTX and the Trapper models? What would make you lean one way or the other.
Thanks

Islandeer
05-29-2009, 04:53 PM
I think the Trappers are 10 inch and the others are 8.

bigwhiteys
05-31-2009, 09:01 AM
Hey, what differences do guys notice between the Alaska GTX and the Trapper models? What would make you lean one way or the other.
Thanks

I've always preferred a higher cut boot for the extra support mainly. It's nice for creeks and extra ankle protection as well.

You'll lose mobility with the higher cut but when you're loaded down with a pack that's not a bad thing.

The Trappers are 8 or 9 ounces heavier as well.

Taken from Lathrops Site the Trapper also has a different liner then the GTX (gortex)...

Gore/Duratherm liner - This liner offers a superior moisture management factor over even that of Gore-Tex itself. Therein producing a more comfortable experience for the wearer.

With my gaiters on I can cross knee deep creeks and my feet don't get wet at all...

The G-WAX they recommend isn't very good IMO so I went on the advice of DevilBear and bought the Obenhaufs LP Heavy Duty boot wax online and the boots look brand new again.

Carl

Frosty
06-27-2009, 12:01 PM
I recently did buy a pair of hanwags. I've had them out only once so far for a few hours. Hard to get a good read on them till they're broken in, but i'm sure they'll be fine.
The one thing I noticed is that the bottom sole being a harder material than my last pair of boots, I found that on wet rock I would just slip instantly. There was no bite at all. With my previous boots I had all the confidence in the world to go anywhere, but with these I found myself avoiding rocks.
Just wondering what other peoples opinions are on this. Does it get better with more break in period?

Thanks

bigwhiteys
06-30-2009, 07:40 AM
The one thing I noticed is that the bottom sole being a harder material than my last pair of boots, I found that on wet rock I would just slip instantly. There was no bite at all. With my previous boots I had all the confidence in the world to go anywhere, but with these I found myself avoiding rocks.

I don't have the same problem with my Hanwags. They bite pretty hard... So hard that it can be tough to shimmy your feet in some technical situations.

They grip awesome on everything but wet logs and slimy rocks :)

Carl

hosman
09-15-2009, 05:26 PM
I luv my alaskans ($315)I bought from track n trail in Edmonton. I'll never buy another pair of boots as long as they keep making Hanwags. I use snoseal every year to waterproof and moisturize the leather. 5 years of sheep and elk hunting and still going strong. I'm sure you won't be disapointed with these boots.
I find the grip excellent on everything except slimy,wet rocks. Wet rocks are no problem.

BCRiverBoater
09-17-2009, 03:44 PM
I luv my alaskans ($315)I bought from track n trail in Edmonton. I'll never buy another pair of boots as long as they keep making Hanwags. I use snoseal every year to waterproof and moisturize the leather. 5 years of sheep and elk hunting and still going strong. I'm sure you won't be disapointed with these boots.
I find the grip excellent on everything except slimy,wet rocks. Wet rocks are no problem.

When have you got out of your boat? No wonder they have lasted 5 years.