PDA

View Full Version : grizz on postill road!

CabinFever
05-24-2009, 10:03 PM
Went up to postill lake today to set up our summer camping spot. Our neighbour who has been up there for a few weeks told us that he had seen a small griz around the 12k spot on the road. Not used to griz in this area but i know that this guy is a no bullshit kind of dude. Gotta say this will make me keep my head up a little more this year but at the same time
i love the thought of griz in the bush. I'll have my 870 to watch my ass. By the way postill lake is filled with friendly people not a bunch of mudboggin fightin rapin aholes like the local newspapers would like u to believe!;-)

Andy83
05-24-2009, 10:06 PM
I saw a big grizz last fall up goudie. They're in there.

dave_fras
05-25-2009, 05:42 AM
i ran into 2 last fall... one up goudie and the other up 3 forks

bowhunterbruce
05-25-2009, 05:53 AM
thier was one last fall showing up in an orchard in oyama and the farmer even got pics on a trail cam and showed m o f as they had thier doubts.as the crow flys postil isnt all that far away and it could be the same one.

rockdog
05-25-2009, 08:00 AM
A mountain biking friend of mine said he saw a skinny grizzly by the mushroom picker's camp spot on Gillard last week.

Ruger4
05-25-2009, 08:15 AM
Postill , Goudie , Philpot, Mugford , 3 forks , Cowboy trail , Pearson Main, take yer pick , there is grizz amongst these areas and have been for years. Ever see the silvertips on BigWhite ski slopes in the spring , worth the drive.

bighornbob
05-25-2009, 09:02 AM
Have hunted the area since the early 80's and never saw a grizz up until about 2000 and then we see one every couple of years.

In 2007 I found a dead grizz beside a dead mulie buck in a clearcut only about 1.5km from Postill Lake. I phoned the CO and they knew about the bear. I guess a guy had a moose LEH and shot a small mulie buck in a clearcut. He left it there and went to check a adjacent clearcut for moose and found one and shoty it. Once he was done with that he went back to pick up the mulie and the Grizz was on it, so he shot it:frown: I guess he saw no problem in it as he phoned the CO's. Did not hear what the charges were.

So yes they are in there.

BHB

RiverBoatFantasy
05-25-2009, 09:05 AM
A selfish pig of a human that shoots a grizzly off of a dead kill that they left unattended in order to greedily pursue another animal, should be shot.

Have hunted the area since the early 80's and never saw a grizz up until about 2000 and then we see one every couple of years.

In 2007 I found a dead grizz beside a dead mulie buck in a clearcut only about 1.5km from Postill Lake. I phoned the CO and they knew about the bear. I guess a guy had a moose LEH and shot a small mulie buck in a clearcut. He left it there and went to check a adjacent clearcut for moose and found one and shoty it. Once he was done with that he went back to pick up the mulie and the Grizz was on it, so he shot it:frown: I guess he saw no problem in it as he phoned the CO's. Did not hear what the charges were.

BHB

hotload
05-25-2009, 09:01 PM
X2 RBF there is sure some odd people out there.

Fisher-Dude
05-25-2009, 09:19 PM

BHB

I heard what the charges were. The illegal grizz shooting wasn't his only problem. Let's just say he'll think twice about bein' a dumbass again. :wink:

Saw a grizz 30 years ago chasing a heffer up the Oyama Lake Road. Cow stops in front of the truck, grizz bails down the bank. The cow then bails down the bank right behind the grizz. Who would eat beef and fill themselves full of proteins of the stupidest animal on earth? 8-)

jeeper
05-27-2009, 07:49 PM
Went up to postill lake today to set up our summer camping spot. Our neighbour who has been up there for a few weeks told us that he had seen a small griz around the 12k spot on the road. Not used to griz in this area but i know that this guy is a no bullshit kind of dude. Gotta say this will make me keep my head up a little more this year but at the same time
i love the thought of griz in the bush. I'll have my 870 to watch my ass. By the way postill lake is filled with friendly people not a bunch of mudboggin fightin rapin aholes like the local newspapers would like u to believe!;-)

Postil pit is where the media talks about when they say Postill lake not the lake itself .

Bruce

Haddy
05-27-2009, 08:03 PM
Had a grizz follow me down from the first slash past the lake all the way back to the campground at the lake up postill the year I had the moose leh in there. Never did see him but the tracks in the snow were unmistakeable I'll have to dig up the pictures to post em.

watson721
01-01-2010, 01:15 PM
there is no grizzlies up gillard. it is right behind my house and i have mountain biked and hunted there for 3 year and the only bear that i ever saw was a small black bear on the bike trails.

wrenchhead
01-01-2010, 01:34 PM
not that is really matters much to argue but i beat dollars to doughnuts that they move though there the odd time. there is the odd one on every hill around and they can cover huge amounts of territory in a year.

landphil
01-01-2010, 01:39 PM
there is no grizzlies up gillard. it is right behind my house and i have mountain biked and hunted there for 3 year and the only bear that i ever saw was a small black bear on the bike trails.

I bet you haven't seen the sasquatches up there either, or even Ogopogo in the pond, for that matter.:mrgreen: I tend to think that there MAY be more than one bear in the area from time to time, so would not discard the idea of grizz so hastily.:wink:Just a good excuse to get a bigger gun anyway!!:-D

Fisher-Dude
01-01-2010, 02:05 PM

Wrong. There are grizz up there. Lots around Little White and OK Mountain Park.

goatdancer
01-01-2010, 03:17 PM

Just because you haven't seen them doesn't mean they aren't there. Ignoring the distinct possibility that they are there could be a fatal mistake you wouldn't want to make.

Phreddy
01-01-2010, 08:23 PM
Was coming down a logging rd. about 30k in from Princeton last fall and saw a small griz run across the road. Probably a youngster run off by his mommy in Manning Park. That's about the only one I've seen in this area, but others have been sighted apparently.

Gunner
01-01-2010, 08:54 PM
Four years ago I had a 3 year old in my yard,he hung around the neighbourhood most of the summer.They're around,maybe closer than you think! Gunner

gary murray
01-01-2010, 09:06 PM
I agree. My friend Jeff seen a grizz not too far from the Chute Lake cabin he was renting while out joyriding on his quad last year in the summertime.

gary murray
01-01-2010, 09:12 PM
I heard one at 4.00am about 300 yards away from my camp. I was camped over by Beblo just off the 201 FSR. Got awoken by my dog barking at some very loud roars and bellows. For those of you familiar with the Carmi road, my friend Rob seen a large grizz 2 years ago standing in that big dirt lot just before km 5 where everyone goes tobogganing and unloads their sleds and quads. He thought it was a cow at first and had to do a double take. He seen the grizz again 2 weeks later over by the North/Ellis reservoir.

pete_k
01-01-2010, 09:44 PM
Heard there was one in that big field north of the airport runway about 5 or 6 years ago. Guy had to take pics before MOF would belive him.

Kelowna means Grizzly in some native language.

troutseeker
01-02-2010, 01:17 AM
Gillard Rd? you bet! I've seen one on the edge of a cut not too far from the old railway track while looking for mule deer, he was looking too.

bad arrow
01-02-2010, 04:59 AM
Used to be quite a few grizz in that area, while going through an old newpaper clipping recently (1910) from kelowna there was a story about all the grizz in the Okanagan, especially on the east side of the lake, I have myself never seen one but every year I see sign (tracks in the snow) and one of my old time friends shot one about 60 years ago in self defense up there. I saw one up in back of whitemans creek a couple of years ago, and they are seen regularily up there now.

5 spike
01-02-2010, 08:51 AM
its been a few years since i have stomped around those hills,but that area was my playground. i saw two grizz up goudie rd area. they were definatley in that area.

OutWest
01-03-2010, 01:28 AM

LOL lots in the Park eh...

Fisher-Dude
01-03-2010, 08:43 AM
LOL lots in the Park eh...

Yup. Ran into lots of sign in there the year before the fire. I imagine with all the new grasses in there that the bears will be loving it.

They relocated a g-bear from the park that was down in Naramata tearing up an orchard...CO told me they took him to the top of the Grandby, and a few months later the bugger was right back at the same orchard in Naramata!

dave_fras
01-03-2010, 08:50 AM
ya ive seen 2 up the chute lake area in the past two years... but ive only seen one black bear! he didnt make it far tho haha

Wrayzer
01-03-2010, 09:20 AM
They relocated a g-bear from the park that was down in Naramata tearing up an orchard...CO told me they took him to the top of the Grandby, and a few months later the bugger was right back at the same orchard in Naramata!

Yup I've heard that story and I was just about to post about it. Amazing how much territory they can cover in a somewhat short amount of time, must have been some good eats in that orchard.

Personally I havent seen any Grizz around here, or any sign in the past few years. I kind of like it that way :-D. Although seeing one from a distance in this area would be exciting.

OutWest
01-03-2010, 07:06 PM
Yup. Ran into lots of sign in there the year before the fire. I imagine with all the new grasses in there that the bears will be loving it.

I've seen lots of big bear sign and have seen some huge blacks the last few years but never a Grizz. Not saying they aren't there but I would be hard pressed to believe there are lots like you said before. They can definitely cover some ground.

On the other hand I've heard many people talk about Grizzly's up Goudie and in that area.

Fisher-Dude
01-03-2010, 07:20 PM
I've seen lots of big bear sign and have seen some huge blacks the last few years but never a Grizz. Not saying they aren't there but I would be hard pressed to believe there are lots like you said before. They can definitely cover some ground.

On the other hand I've heard many people talk about Grizzly's up Goudie and in that area.

Nick, you're 20 years old. That makes you a relative newbie to what's up in that area. You've likely only explored a fraction of the area. Heck, I remember listening for trains coming before we crossed the Kettle Valley Railway with the truck. :wink:

There's quite a healthy population of grizz from Big White, Little White, Greyback, Greystokes, and OK Mountain. Anytail and I ran into a sow with two cubs in 8-12 a couple of months ago. I've seen lots of g-bear sign by Fiddler's Green, Crawford Lake, and Ratnip. Always be cautious hunting up in that area, especially if you harvest an animal and have to pack it out. You don't want a nasty surprise! :shock:

dave_fras
01-03-2010, 07:42 PM
i agree with fisher... not saying im old enough to know much haha... but i do a ton of hunting with some of my elders... ive also seen some grizz up little white... .. in the past few years ive seen them running around rabbit creek.. bug creek and mission main too

OutWest
01-04-2010, 07:05 PM
Nick, you're 20 years old. That makes you a relative newbie to what's up in that area. You've likely only explored a fraction of the area. Heck, I remember listening for trains coming before we crossed the Kettle Valley Railway with the truck. :wink:

There's quite a healthy population of grizz from Big White, Little White, Greyback, Greystokes, and OK Mountain. Anytail and I ran into a sow with two cubs in 8-12 a couple of months ago. I've seen lots of g-bear sign by Fiddler's Green, Crawford Lake, and Ratnip. Always be cautious hunting up in that area, especially if you harvest an animal and have to pack it out. You don't want a nasty surprise! :shock:

I'm talking about the park Fisher. I'm not disagreeing at all about the Greystokes, LW, BW or Greyback area. The park does not have excessive Grizzly numbers. You obviously have no idea about where I've hunted or for how long :)

peashooter
01-04-2010, 07:38 PM
uh-oh............

Iltasyuko
01-04-2010, 07:47 PM
"uh-oh............"

Hahahaha...yep!

Fisher-Dude
01-04-2010, 08:31 PM
I'm talking about the park Fisher. I'm not disagreeing at all about the Greystokes, LW, BW or Greyback area. The park does not have excessive Grizzly numbers. You obviously have no idea about where I've hunted or for how long :)

Fine, go be bold then. For those who care to take advice when it's offered, keep your head up when dealing with downed animals where there are grizzly bears. OK Mountain is no exception.

boxhitch
01-04-2010, 08:49 PM
tons, some, lots, excessive ............
Whose BSing and who isn't ?

bighornbob
01-04-2010, 09:32 PM
I found a shot grizz up Goudie (behind Postill Lake) in 2007. Dad ran into one in the last clearcut up Goudie Main. Saw another one up Mugford the next year. And a few years before all those we saw 2 bears up Fool Hen Main. Although the distance between all sighting was only 10km as the crow flys, one is really kidding themselves if they think they are not all over the whole Kelowna area.

The CO counted 6 one spring on the slopes of Bigwhite.

BHB

watson721
01-06-2010, 10:25 PM
you older guys may have some more experience in that area but from what ive seen there has been no sign of grizzlies around my area

boxhitch
01-06-2010, 11:04 PM
you older guys may have some more experience in that area but from what ive seen there has been no sign of grizzlies around my areaThat says a lot

watson721
01-07-2010, 05:13 PM
what's that supost to mean?