PDA

View Full Version : how long until these blackies start rubbing

snareman1234
05-24-2009, 06:57 PM
Spent the weekend driving around priceton with my girlfriend this weekend. we saw a cinnamon phase bear in the middle of the road at ablout 400 yards, i just let it walk. too far

we also spotted a huge black bear at about 1000 yards feeding, so I showed her how we would stalk it, and we did, got within 80 yards, I layed down. got ready for my shot, but the bears front shoulder and vitals were in behind a small bush so i thought I'd just wait for him to step forward, well I watched him for a bout 5 minutes, then he lifted his head and just started running

winded us,,,,

anyways my question is how long will these bears keep a rub free coat,
I want a bear for the meat, but I am also a trapper and LOVE nice fur so I want a quality pelt, I know it is a late spring so as a general guidline. when do they start rubbing?

2x4x16
05-24-2009, 06:59 PM
where did you go in Princeton? was there still lost of snow up high?

snareman1234
05-24-2009, 07:44 PM
I went up the whipsaw, there was lots of snow up high yes, most of the mountain tips were still frosty

Marc
05-24-2009, 07:48 PM
I've shot a bear in June with a perfect coat all depends on the bear if it rubs or not. A lot of the time you'll find bears that have rubbed legs from walking and falling through crusted snow, and then there are those bears that look like someone took a set of shears too. Just look him over good before you shoot if you're concerned about the coat.

hunter1947
05-24-2009, 07:49 PM
Bears will start rubbing more so when we get a hot snap and we are to have one at the end of this week ,27c for the hi hear in Black creek this up coming Friday.

jml11
05-24-2009, 08:19 PM
I think it depends on the bear, but it is typically later in the season. My brother shot a young Vancouver Island boar in the first week of April a few years back which had some significant rub patches we missed when glassing him. In our defence we really weren't inspecting the hid in great detail as we expected them all to be good that early in the season...

snareman1234
05-25-2009, 05:11 PM
yea so I guess i should get one this weekend then lol!