PDA

View Full Version : 7-28 grizzly hunting need help!

chinookkiller
05-23-2009, 10:42 PM
New to this site. comes highly recommened.
i got an leh grizzly draw in 7-28 and will go that area from 5-28 and maybe stay up to 12 days。
4rd year hunting,catched some black bear,many deer,one moose, but never hunted a grizzly 。
any one who has hunted grizzly around there willing to let me know some good area or some starting info?
thanks very much for your help!

wapitiwhacker
05-24-2009, 01:56 PM
We were camped at Phillip Lake (75 km west of Windy Point) Oct 18-24 last year and saw a few tracks above the lake, nothin' in 'em though. Tons of Wolf sign and one bull moose for us!

pazura19
05-24-2009, 04:17 PM
we hunted that area last year in early september. we shot bull moose first day we were there and saw nothing for the next week. we had 2 moose draws and a grizzly draw, tons of tracks just didnt see very much :(

chinookkiller
05-25-2009, 03:45 PM
thanks,I will try to find more info,do you know if into this area,which place can supply gas?Leo Creek,Middle River,Takla Landing,Lovell Cove Camp,Manson Creek,Ingenika Mine?

sneg
05-25-2009, 08:22 PM
i would suggest McKenzie for gas.short ride across lake via lomak road.place full of grizzlies.been there on May long weekend.just take your time and walk.lot of sign.end of may should excellent.they will move around like crazy.

Riverratz
05-26-2009, 06:40 AM
If you're accessing 7-28 north of Ft. St. James, you can get fuel at Manson Creek at the Wolf Ridge General Store.
If you're heading NW from FSJ, you can get fuel at Takla Rainbow Lodge, which is located on the north side of Takla Lake at the narrows.
Both places the fuel will be more than in the Fort.
There are fishing lodges at Tchentlo Lake and Tsayta Lake which catered to hunters in the past. They might have fuel, but don't know if they're open yet.
Inquire with some locals in FSJ on the way thru, they could fill you in on what's happening further north,.......everybody knows everybody in that neck of the woods, and most folks are pretty helpful.

moosinaround
05-26-2009, 06:45 AM
Now if it was me, I would take everything I needed to be self sufficient! FT ST James or Mackenzie is the last stop, so fuel up Grocery up and ammo up there, and refill upon your return. Prices can fluctuate in the woods, and so can supply. Take a spare everything, and then go kill a big Grizz! Good luck! Moosin

chinookkiller
05-26-2009, 11:44 AM
If you're accessing 7-28 north of Ft. St. James, you can get fuel at Manson Creek at the Wolf Ridge General Store.
If you're heading NW from FSJ, you can get fuel at Takla Rainbow Lodge, which is located on the north side of Takla Lake at the narrows.
Both places the fuel will be more than in the Fort.
There are fishing lodges at Tchentlo Lake and Tsayta Lake which catered to hunters in the past. They might have fuel, but don't know if they're open yet.
Inquire with some locals in FSJ on the way thru, they could fill you in on what's happening further north,.......everybody knows everybody in that neck of the woods, and most folks are pretty helpful.
Very glad hear this info from you,thank you a lot!

chinookkiller
05-26-2009, 11:55 AM
Now if it was me, I would take everything I needed to be self sufficient! FT ST James or Mackenzie is the last stop, so fuel up Grocery up and ammo up there, and refill upon your return. Prices can fluctuate in the woods, and so can supply. Take a spare everything, and then go kill a big Grizz! Good luck! Moosin
we really spare everything,incloud 80 liter gas,but this area are so big for us to drive seaching more corner we can,only two guys,in fact we have some worry hiking long distance in the bush:(

Riverratz
05-26-2009, 11:55 AM
As Moosin stated in his last post here...........going self contained is a must !!!!......food, fuel, tools, spare tires, first aid, etc. There are no guarantees that those places mentioned will have fuel, etc. when you get there. Everything they get is trucked in from FSJ. Services and supplies can be extremely limited and sometimes non-existent. Fairly remote country up there and not a lot of human activity. You can check with store in Manson Creek and Takla Rainbow lodge by phone or email prior to heading here, as for the other places, anyone's guess. I've heard, although not confirmed, that the lodges I mentioned may be closed/for sale, don't know for sure. Locals in FSJ would probably know. Big country up there, lots to see and explore, don't think you'll be seeing too many other "tourists". It's an adventure.
Good luck.

moosehunter21
05-26-2009, 03:32 PM
Was pokin around the area for the last week or 3 and I have seen a few grizzly and lots of blacks Just none I wanna touch the trigger for. Best of luck. I would fuel here in Mackenzie and then head up.

chinookkiller
05-27-2009, 01:17 PM
Was pokin around the area for the last week or 3 and I have seen a few grizzly and lots of blacks Just none I wanna touch the trigger for. Best of luck. I would fuel here in Mackenzie and then head up.
thanks!the grizzly you have seen are on the high country or just move in clear cuts and slides?
will starting tomorrow noon and take a frist day eve hunt,oh!cant wait!

chinookkiller
06-07-2009, 03:57 PM
finally came back,thanks every one has given info to me!:-D:-D:-D
although not harvest a big grizzly,this trip is still a nice memory。
ten days ,seen 4 griz,one is a big mother bring two cubs,the other 3 are all median size young female almost between 4.5feet and 5.5feet,all have good shooting chance,but not want take them to my home!
also seen some huge blackie,moose,elk,hare,:obut not even seen one deer(its very strange)
thanks again for every nice guy!
I think will try next year,hope a big boar is still waiting for me!:roll::roll:

ryanb
06-07-2009, 04:27 PM
That is not a deer area, so it's not stange at all that you didn't see any.

BlacktailStalker
06-07-2009, 04:45 PM
Chinook killer ; What are those weird boxes after your sentences ??
Good luck.