PDA

View Full Version : First Black bear Dad and me

tracker
05-23-2009, 07:19 PM
My dad and I have talked about going hunting for black bears as soon as he got back from his grizzly bear hunt in the kootenay's { yes his friend shot one too} and before that we just got my first hunting license, afterall I just turned 10 ,I have been on lots of bear hunts with my dad and realy liked hunting bears, so a bear was first on my list to shoot...

My dad picked me and my brother from school and I seen the quad loaded in the back of the old ford so I knew we probaly were going hunting tonight and I was right, he said hurry up boy's we gotta go and get a bear tonight,I laughed and said cool lets git er dun ,we changed out of our school clothes and did some last minute homework [reading] and off we went to the bush,it was a real warm sunny day but when we got up to the mountain it was kinda cold, my dad said we have to go and find some sign first before we can actually hunt for them and what that means is looking for poop on the roads and trails,tracks in the mud holes and greened up areas with dandy lion flowers cause they like to eat them..
As soon as we hit the logging roads there was some good sized bear poop on the road ,my dad said this looks like a nice bear so we continue to look for sign riding around on the quad and we find lots but no bears ,we had supper on the top of the mountain and we saw a coyote and as we were having lunch something rustled in the bush down the hill from us and dad went to have a look and came running back and said it was a bear just over the hill but by time we got the gun loaded and over to where it was it was gone,my dad ranged the stump it was by and it was only 26 yards away form us ,that was neat even though I never did see it...So we finished supper and left that spot hopeing to see a bear along the trails and roads but no such luck ,lots of poop but no bears..We end up going back towards the truck where we saw the big bear poop and turn up a trail and start lookin for more sign,as we were going up there my dad said it was getting late and maybe we should go and I said ok and as we were going back down the hill my dad spots a bear way over on another hill ,so we stop and look at it with bino's and get some video tape of it [my dad likes to do that stuff] but it was like a 1000 yards away and my dad said there was no way of getting that one as the light was fading fast but to my surprize my dad makes his way that way and ends up finding some trails that work over to the hill side where the bear was ,he said we are only 200 yards down from it and to lets go . We went up the hill as fast as we could watching for the bear it was kinda funny as we both were puffing hard,as we walked my dad would stop every 20 yards and look for the bear then he grabs me by the shoulder and said there he is right over the hill from us ,my heart started pounding now my dad gave me the gun and walked me up the hill a bit and said stand up he's right there so I did and he was right in front of me as I lined up the scope on the bear I must have been a bit shaky because my dad said stop and knelt down and put the gun on his shoulder for a rest,that was much better he asked if I could see the bear in the scope and I could I said ,I took the safety off and my dad said any time you want shoot go ahead he was ready so I put the crosshairs right on the bear behind the shoulder and KABOOM the bear drops in his tracks.My dad was so excited that I shot my first bear ,so was I, but he said I looked scared and shocked I kinda was!!! As we get up to it it was getting bigger and bigger and solid black also ,my dad checks to make sure the bear is dead and grabs its head to pick it up and said this is a huge bear and what a pig.. That was cool ,I went over to it and grabbed it and it felt like a rock it was huge I could barely move its head ..We took some pictures and gutted it out and headed home ......

I shot my bear with a 270 wsm 110 gr ttsx he was 6 ft 3" and a 20 inch green score for a skull my dad said we are getting a rug now and some sausage and pepperoni ,, thanks dad.. "aka tracker"

http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z78/tracker_07/strechedout.jpg

http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z78/tracker_07/TJ.jpg

leadpillproductions
05-23-2009, 07:23 PM
Thats awsome good for you there's nothing better than your first bear congrads.

Pioneerman
05-23-2009, 07:27 PM
Great story and congrats on your first bear, well done!!

Summit 512
05-23-2009, 07:34 PM
That,s a real beauty for your first bear......right on

358win
05-23-2009, 07:38 PM
Good job tracker!!!!!
Congratulations to you and your dad for a great hunt.
Thanks for sharing the story.

Tambo*
05-23-2009, 07:41 PM
That's so exciting...
I had a bear in my cross hairs yesterday but he left before I could get a shot.
Nice bear.

olharley guy
05-23-2009, 07:45 PM
Howdy, good story and a good looking bear. Is that a bullet hole in the bears head?

It is good to read all the good bear stories this Spring, everyone seems to be having a lot of good luck with a lot of nice bears this year. Later

swb
05-23-2009, 07:58 PM
well done!! congrats on your first bear!! you should have bragging rights for a while with a bear that size

pupper
05-23-2009, 08:01 PM
Great story telling and big bear, that's great. Congrats.

tracker
05-23-2009, 08:07 PM
Good job tracker!!!!!
Congratulations to you and your dad for a great hunt.
Thanks for sharing the story.

Oh ya "tracker" is my dad and I used his profile to show the pic's and tell the story thanks guys:biggrin:

BearSniper
05-23-2009, 08:34 PM
Thats a real choice Black Bear:wink:

Well done, good shooting, sounds like you took him quite efficiently.

porcupine
05-23-2009, 08:35 PM
Great story and congratulations to the both of you.
________
Yamaha DSP-1 history (http://www.yamaha-tech.com/wiki/Yamaha_DSP-1)

Andy83
05-23-2009, 08:38 PM
way to go that bear is a real beauty!!

Tambo*
05-23-2009, 08:39 PM
Time to sign up now that your shooting bears :smile:

d6dan
05-23-2009, 08:47 PM
Thats a super nice bear you and your dad got. Congrats to both of you!!.

Blainer
05-23-2009, 09:15 PM
Good looking bruin!
Good on ya,and your dad as well.

Marc
05-23-2009, 09:26 PM
Oh ya "tracker" is my dad and I used his profile to show the pic's and tell the story thanks guys:biggrin:

Time to sign up now that your shooting bears :smile:

I was going to say the same thing.

Tracker set him up a user account so he can enter the contest that we run from time to time. All you need a is email address from him to register.

Great story and awesome looking bear. What a beautiful animal for a first.

Marc.

Laurence_Erickson
05-23-2009, 11:27 PM
good job there and an awsome first bear ,it only gets better from here on in .

hunter1947
05-24-2009, 05:51 AM
Very nice bear you got there as for a very nice wright up ,congrats to the two of you http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon14.gif.

Nimrod
05-24-2009, 07:41 AM
wow!!!!!
that's an awesome bear son of tracker.
very very well done.
guess you need to make a profile for your self now that your an accomplished big game hunter.
good job.:D

tracker
05-24-2009, 07:57 AM
I helped my son Thomas with this story about his first black bear ,he is so excited about it and I am a very proud dad that he was able to have a good hunting experience like this,the bear dropped with a well placed bullet ,the stock up to it was text book wind in our face's ,quiet soft grass ..A bear that will make anyone say "holy cow" .. pictures and video of the day that he can relive anytime ,,thomas has been by my side all the time from gutting it helping me skin and on through to the processing of the meat by wrapping and writeing on the packages I have seen my ten year old grow up 5 years in age from this experience by seeing the responsibility he has show taking care of his downed animal,he is quite a serious hunter and sportsman that makes me proud!!!!!!!! Tracker

bsa30-06
05-24-2009, 09:40 AM
congrats to both of you , awesome bear.

bsa30-06
05-24-2009, 09:44 AM
I helped my son Thomas with this story about his first black bear ,he is so excited about it and I am a very proud dad that he was able to have a good hunting experience like this,the bear dropped with a well placed bullet ,the stock up to it was text book wind in our face's ,quiet soft grass ..A bear that will make anyone say "holy cow" .. pictures and video of the day that he can relive anytime ,,thomas has been by my side all the time from gutting it helping me skin and on through to the processing of the meat by wrapping and writeing on the packages I have seen my ten year old grow up 5 years in age from this experience by seeing the responsibility he has show taking care of his downed animal,he is quite a serious hunter and sportsman that makes me proud!!!!!!!! Tracker

You should be proud,sounds like you have done an excellent job of teaching him the proper way to hunt and handle game, and by looks and sounds of things he has learned it very well.Congrats

elkhunter1
05-24-2009, 09:54 AM
Yes Great Job,
Could Say it better than all members here.
Question.
How did You make out on Your Griz hunt.???
I am going to 4-28 next week,?
Thank,s in advance.
Chris.

BC30cal
05-24-2009, 02:27 PM
tracker "junior";
Thanks for sharing the great story and congratulations to your first bear, it's great to see the younger crowd out in the hills. Nice bear and well done!

To your father, I'd like to send a tip of the hat your way for taking your son out to learn what we all love so much. Well done to you sir!

Thanks again,
Dwayne

Derp
05-24-2009, 05:31 PM
congrats on a sweeet brute 1st blackie!

gerrygoat
05-24-2009, 05:44 PM
Nice bear tracker jr it is sure nice to read these threads about younger hunters getting nice bears.

coleman
05-24-2009, 05:52 PM
Nice job. Beauty of a bear. Way to go!

tracker
05-24-2009, 08:05 PM
Yes Great Job,
Could Say it better than all members here.
Question.
How did You make out on Your Griz hunt.???
I am going to 4-28 next week,?
Thank,s in advance.
Chris.

Not realy familiar with that area [4-28] but they were out on the slides a few mountains down from you ... we had shot this one on the second day and after that the weather socked in and rained for most of the week but we did end up seeing 4 boars and a sow with cubs after that... goodluck here is a pic of the downed grizz he sure was a beauty grizz :lol:

http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z78/tracker_07/deadgrizz.jpg

gerrygoat
05-24-2009, 08:44 PM
Nice looking grizz how big was it?

BCbillies
05-25-2009, 11:51 PM
That grizz deserves a thread of its own! Great animal and a tough hunt in those slides . . . especially when they leaf out.

tracker
06-06-2009, 07:33 PM
This bruin weighed in at 235 pounds dressed out [weighed on scale}
+65 lbs head and hide
+75 lbs inards and blood [estimated}
= 375 lb spring bear

We have peperoni meat for the year now:eek:

Thomas again with his first black bear!!!

http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z78/tracker_07/layingdown.jpg