PDA

View Full Version : Quatsino trip report

sbtennex
05-23-2009, 11:13 AM
Got back to AB a few days ago from Port Alice and P.A.M. Charters. What a great little place, beautiful inlet. Fished outside deep for travelling salmon, but not there yet. Ling cod, red snapper, all sorts of rockcod a couple smaller 'buts and things I haven't seen before - red Irish Lord, cabizon and so on. crabbing was excellent but the commercial guys had literally thousands of prawn/shrimp traps out so the locals pulled theirs. Still managed a pile to bring home. Great trip, but 3 or 4 weeks early - still worth it. PAM was great - B&B and a 26' Commander.

Salty
05-23-2009, 06:54 PM
Nice out there eh sbtennex? I used to live in Coal Harbour. Its a great area to fish as it sounds you found out. .. BTW, I found the but ugly cabizon great eating if you can get past the ugly part. lol

sbtennex
05-30-2009, 10:03 AM
Hey, Salty!
Yeah. it sure is pretty there. Can't wait to get back ASAP. I didn't think the cabizon was ugly - au contraire. I think it's a really cool looking thing, but then I think a big ling cod is a handsome bugger too!

Salty
06-03-2009, 11:22 AM
Hey, Salty!
Yeah. it sure is pretty there. Can't wait to get back ASAP. I didn't think the cabizon was ugly - au contraire. I think it's a really cool looking thing, but then I think a big ling cod is a handsome bugger too!

You are twisted. And I agree :biggrin:

The 'big lingcod' comment reminds me of a time at the bottom of the Q narrows. My wife and I were doing a little jigging by the channel marker. She hooked a rockfish and was playing it when all of the sudden she announced to me that she was snagged on the kelp. She handed me the rod and although the line was right in and wrapped up a bit in a kelp bed I could detect a bit of slow steady head shaking :biggrin:

I carefully hauled it out of the kelp and handed her the rod. I said 'be carefull you've got a big ling on ther now too.' She looked at me a bit puzzled like. ..

Anyways she did a good job with the light gear we were using and about 10 minutes later I netted about a 3 and a half foot ling cod that had glommed on to the 3 or 4 pound copper rock fish that she had initially hooked. :mrgreen: I've had this happen before, if you don't let the ling break the surface you can usually get them. They're not hooked at all, just have a bite on the ass end of mr. rocky and will let go if spooked. ..

Island Blacktail
06-11-2009, 10:54 PM
Try fishing in Nootka Sound This year fisheries is expecting huge salmon returns into Nootka.

scallywag
06-12-2009, 06:28 AM
Hey, Salty!

Plus you said you from AB so if you compare the cabizon to some of the women out there they are doing alright..

Sitkaspruce
06-12-2009, 02:07 PM
Try fishing in Nootka Sound This year fisheries is expecting huge salmon returns into Nootka.

Just remember Island BT, those fish have to swim by the North Island first, so what ever comes to Nootka will be hit first by those of us that fish Winter Harbour, Port Hardy and Port McNeill (to a certain extent), that,s the beauty of the top end of the Island, we get to fish all the runs.

Was out yesterday up by Hope Island and we put a 22lb spring, a 5 lb coho, 25 and 17lb ling and a few small RF in the boat and released three ping pong handle hali's. Nice day on the water.

sbtennex, sounds like you had a great trip. Such great country to fish, with so many good holes and tons of fish.

Cheers

SS

vanislehunter1
06-12-2009, 04:44 PM
Just remember Island BT, those fish have to swim by the North Island first, so what ever comes to Nootka will be hit first by those of us that fish Winter Harbour, Port Hardy and Port McNeill (to a certain extent), that,s the beauty of the top end of the Island, we get to fish all the runs.

Was out yesterday up by Hope Island and we put a 22lb spring, a 5 lb coho, 25 and 17lb ling and a few small RF in the boat and released three ping pong handle hali's. Nice day on the water.

sbtennex, sounds like you had a great trip. Such great country to fish, with so many good holes and tons of fish.

Cheers

SS Which side of Hope Island? the Goletas Channel side, or the more open part?? I think i'm going fishing tomorrow and i'm just wondering if we should go up that far, or would it just be a waste of gas??

sbtennex
06-19-2009, 11:24 AM
Just got an update - chinooks are cruising by and into the Inlet, lots of them and good sizes. Wednesday, local guy took out 3 guys and they limited out on springs in under 2 hours, all between 32 and 45 pounds. Should be hot all over the north end of the Island now.

vanislehunter1
06-19-2009, 06:07 PM
Just got an update - chinooks are cruising by and into the Inlet, lots of them and good sizes. Wednesday, local guy took out 3 guys and they limited out on springs in under 2 hours, all between 32 and 45 pounds. Should be hot all over the north end of the Island now. Well that's good!!! I'm only going up to duval tomorrow but hopefully there will be springs there as well.