PDA

View Full Version : Braided Line Question

swamper
05-22-2009, 09:53 AM
I have been thinking of trying out braided line on an open face spinnng reel. Has anyone had any experience with this or am I wasting my time. Cabelas has a new braided/mono combo line that looks pretty good.
Chris

Canadian Dad
05-22-2009, 10:01 AM
What are you doing with it?
I use braided for shallow (80-150') saltwater jigging (for cod and sole) on bigger reels and use 10-15lb braid on spinning reels I use for smallmouth bass.
I like PowerPro braid, Spiderwire braid is so-so and Fireline Crystal SUCKS.
Braided line has no stretch so make sure your drag is set lightly as some you need very little pressure for bass-style hooksets. The sensitivity of braid is great for light bites and feeling the bottom structure.
I use braid only for spinnerbaits and hardbaits but use a 6' leader of flourocarbon line for soft plastics or topwater.
I don't think I'd use braid for trolling. I like mono for that.

One Shot
05-22-2009, 10:32 AM
I have been using Power Pro in level wind reels for a number of years now and really like it after trying other lines. I have been thinking the same lately of using Power Pro in open face spinning reels. My only concern is what about wear on the plated steel/stainless furrel on the bail where the line runs over, what will the wear factor be. I have been trying to find an open face reel with a ceramic furrel on the bail to reduce wear. Braided line picks up silt out of the water and then becomes more abrasive on gear over mono lines as a result of the silt, so ceramic or similar type of material in guides etc. are important.

swamper
05-22-2009, 10:45 AM
I was thinking of using it on a larger spinning reel for salmon. That way I can get more line capacity. I was also wondering about line twist as it would be coming off the reel sideways as opposed to straight out on a level wind..

goatdancer
05-22-2009, 11:36 AM
Why not use a level wind instead? So much nicer to use. Braid works great on them.

bow_tech_kaldan
05-22-2009, 11:54 AM
do your self a favour, pick up a Centerpin and get some mono on itm started off with a LW, and moved on from their... unless your fishing sock or sturg

Salty
05-22-2009, 01:19 PM
I was thinking of using it on a larger spinning reel for salmon. That way I can get more line capacity. I was also wondering about line twist as it would be coming off the reel sideways as opposed to straight out on a level wind..

I went with 14 lb spiderwire on a medium sized shimano spinning reel and a medium action 8 foot rod for salt water. With this stuff you don't need a big reel as the diameter of 14 lb is about like 6 lb mono. I fit 300 yards on my reel no prolemo - can't remember the model # but its only about 6" long. This combo is the bomb IMO. I've caught slags of coho up to 16 lbs and even had about a 25 lb spring hooked once which got off (didnt break off). Its awsome line, you feel every little bump, its tough and it lasts. I've had it on for 5 yrs or so and the line is still in good shape. :D

Wild one
05-22-2009, 01:35 PM
I use power pro and love it leaders are recomended for spooky fish as they will see your line with out it

000buck
05-22-2009, 07:27 PM
braid is great for trolling the " no stretch and smaller dia. mean better hook sets right off the bat and no ARCH in the water.