PDA

View Full Version : Hunting in way up North

AJJ
05-21-2009, 02:17 PM
Hello

Been hunting Regions 2,5 and 8 for the the last ten years. I enjoy these regions and will hunt them again. However Ive always wanted to hunt in 7B. You know an area where theres lots of big game open and hopefuly lots of chances.
So Ive started chatting to other guys I know who hunt, about where to generally go in the region, but most of these fellows havent been much north of P.G.
Ive also been looking at my Backroad Mapbook and Recreational Atlas and havent been able to see that many logging roads comming off of the Alaska Hwy or the Liard so I had a couple of questions:

1. Is the majority of hunting up there via jetboat and fly in?
2. It looks like theres quite a few roads around Pink Mountain, is that area loaded with hunters in the fall?
3. Could there be some roads that arnt showen in these two map books, may be due to the scale of the map?
4. Would it be better in terms of road access to concentrate on Region 6?

So without giving up your honey hole, Im looking for some to offer some suggestions. Something like the "the roads around Trutch arnt bad" or "try quading around the Prophet River"

Thanks for your assistance

AJJ

sfire436
05-21-2009, 02:33 PM
I would have to say that there is really no shortage of logging roads up north and off the alaska hyw. Try the beaton River north of wonowon. Lots of roads.

bigwhiteys
05-21-2009, 02:55 PM
In between FSJ and FT Nelson there are plenty of roads to check out... As you start getting past Fort Nelson what you see in the backroads mapbook is pretty much it!

Carl

bowhunterbruce
05-21-2009, 03:03 PM
yes to trutch and prophet , i did a 2 week trip up that way a few years ago and explored and thier was a ton of sign a ton of roads and saw every animal one can see in bc short of sheep and goats.
yes there too were hunters as well as i went up for opening day.
goodluck

moosinaround
05-21-2009, 03:38 PM
The early season moose is a gong show!! It is hot dusty, or very wet and slippery, be prepared. Lots of roads to explore, watch for industry, eg. oil and gas, logging ect. Pay careful attention to the gas head warnings of sour gas, not a mistake you will make twice!! Head up and have fun, it is a different type of ecosystem up there, foothills of mountains, and flat muskeg, take your ATV and lots of BUG DOPE!!! Moosin

sfire436
05-21-2009, 03:50 PM
If you are a newbie hunter I would not suggest going for the opener in aug. Not a good experience, hot, gross, bugs.........spoiled meat, you get the picture. Late sept early oct, you will have a blast.

Mik
05-22-2009, 02:56 AM
I see this is your first post so welcome to the site, AJJ, and as a rule, you have to post a joke.8-)

hunter1947
05-22-2009, 06:51 AM
Welcome to the site AJJ.

I used to hunt in around the Sikanni Chief river area down river on the east side it was good elk and moose hunting in this area 10 years ago ,I hunted the north east side of Barker creek drainage it run into the Sikanni Chief river ,there are tons of cutlines in this area so a quad would be a must..

As for question 4 flip a coin and go with what you come up with ,heads or tails ,6 or 7 are both good regions to hunt.

Your question to 2 and 3 are yes.

There are other areas that I know about that are good area regions to hunt in region 7B if you want to know about ,just send me a private message ,H47http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon7.gif.

AJJ
05-22-2009, 07:00 AM
Thanks for all the info everyone, you given me quite a few ideas
in terms a joke that isnt offensive, Ive got a limited quanity
However here is a G rated attempt
Why did the envelope go to Calgary?.............For the Stamp-ede

Climbit
05-22-2009, 07:09 AM
Have you tried google earth ?

fester
05-23-2009, 05:33 AM
Have you tried google earth ?

I was just going to suggest that!!

Google Earth is my secret

7mag700
05-23-2009, 08:44 AM
Yep the Backroad Mapbook really sucks for this area. GE is waaaay better.

Try the Jedney Road up near Sikanni Chief - I sent my two buddies up there after our buffalo hunt last year and the buggers shot a 5 x 4 mulie within about 2 hours :evil:

7m7

killman
05-23-2009, 09:15 AM
Hard to see "PRIVATE PROPERTY NO HUNTING" signs on google earth. :smile:

Mik
05-23-2009, 04:00 PM

That means its all open:biggrin:

Climbit
05-24-2009, 12:46 PM

Also hard to see these same signs on the maps provided in the hunting synopsis.

Google Earth is a great addition to ones map collection. So is Garmin's Topo Canada DVD maps.

dutchie
05-24-2009, 01:40 PM
Why did the envelope go to Calgary?.............For the Stamp-ede

BRUTAL!!!! that was so bad it was funny!!!

welcome

ewiebehunter
05-24-2009, 02:03 PM
Ive never been up hunting up north yet. My 5 year hunting goal is to head up there. But ive drove from Manitobia to Hanes Alaska halibut fishing so I have a good idea what the areas look like. PINK MOUNTAIN thats is some serious highway slow down!!!!!!! twist and turns like all hell anyone whos been on that stretch will tell you the same. The logging roads in that area would forsure have lots of game When me and my pops drove in that area we saw lots of game just on the highway.

Gateholio
05-24-2009, 03:14 PM
Ive never been up hunting up north yet. My 5 year hunting goal is to head up there. But ive drove from Manitobia to Hanes Alaska halibut fishing so I have a good idea what the areas look like. PINK MOUNTAIN thats is some serious highway slow down!!!!!!! twist and turns like all hell anyone whos been on that stretch will tell you the same. The logging roads in that area would forsure have lots of game When me and my pops drove in that area we saw lots of game just on the highway.

Twists and turns around Pink Mtn?

You should drive the Sea to Sky and Duffey Lake rd if you want to see some twists and turns.:lol:

dukester
05-24-2009, 04:38 PM
In between FSJ and FT Nelson there are plenty of roads to check out... As you start getting past Fort Nelson what you see in the backroads mapbook is pretty much it!

Carl

I'll second this.. i grew up in ft st john. thers miles upon miles of logging and lease roads from ft st john to ft nelson. stick to the rivers edges and you should find every game animal. beatton, sikinie chief,. if you have a boat hit the Pine river. this river is so over looked for elk,moose,bear.

mark
05-24-2009, 04:53 PM
I'll second this.. i grew up in ft st john. thers miles upon miles of logging and lease roads from ft st john to ft nelson. stick to the rivers edges and you should find every game animal. beatton, sikinie chief,. if you have a boat hit the Pine river. this river is so over looked for elk,moose,bear.

Overlooked???? From what Ive seen its gets pounded by boats pretty good, Ive seen lots of guys parking the boats and hiking up to where we can drive or quad too. Its far from overlooked!

hunter1947
05-25-2009, 07:06 AM
There are so many places to hunt up anywhere starting from mile 115 north.
If you have not got back the feed back where a close land mark to hunt then you should just pick an area and put a pin on that road and start from there ????.

Mile 178 turn off to Redfern lake is another good area to hunt for moose ,elk ,caribou ,head in on the seismic road till you get to within about 10 miles of redfern lake its about 56 miles in to this area from the Alaska highway you can camp there hunt there ,good hunting on the north valleys ,take extra fuel and have a real good winch on your two 4x4 trucks.