PDA

View Full Version : Awesome weekend!

Untouchable
05-21-2009, 01:32 PM
Thought I'd share a few photo's from my trip last weekend. Headed up to the family property just outside of Princeton, with my fly rod and a bear tag in my pocket. I talked to Ron at Princeton Outdoors, and asked him where I could find a color phase bear. He passed on rumor's of the whereabouts down a certain road. I also picked up a bunch of chironomids and some strike indicators in the case that I might find myself fishing. I left the store and headed into this new area with high hopes.
I was with my cousin and two other buddies, and we had a great time just exploring a few mountain roads. The two buddies both have their hunting licenses, however they have never witnessed an animal being taken, so I really wanted to show them what it was all about. We ventured all the way to the top of the logging road, although we only encountered one pile of bear scat. I had explained to everyone how the animal is often in a location you wouldn't think it would be. So after having cruised around for over an hour we were headed back down the mountain.
As I came around a switchback, I instantly made eye contact with the bear we were after. He wasn't into sticking around, and started heading up the hillside we had just come down. By this time I had set up in shooting position, and as I squeezed the trigger to my 270 wsm, my shoulder was struck with the thundering click of a misfire! I quickly ejected the shell, and replaced it with a fresh one. Found the bear once again through the leopold scope, and squeezed the trigger a second time. This round did as I intended, and was a clean shoulder shot. It was a very clean kill.
While we gave the bear a few moments to expire and I cut the tag, I also took time to examine the misfired shell. What I found was that the primer was clearly seated too deeply. The firing pin on my rifle had only put a dimple on the primer. For the record this wasn't a cheap round, it was a factory loaded 110 grain barnes ttsx bullet. I always pre-chamber all of my hunting rounds, however I've never looked at the primers before. A good note to hunters, is to not only chamber all of your rounds, but to visibly check the primers. I didn't take the time to get a picture of the bullet, and because I wasn't going to drive around with a half struck shell, I tossed it.
What I walked up to next was exactly what I was looking for. A beautiful color phase boar. Bigger than my last bear. I couldn't be happier with him.
http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x105/themanfromsummerscreek/DSC00730.jpg

We took care of him that night. I taught the guys how to cape an animal out and salt him up. I know for a fact these guys will be avid hunters just from the way they handled themselves around the animal. Nothing but admiration.

I used to be a really avid fly fisherman before I got into hunting, and with my bear tag cut, I decided to load up my 12' aluminum and head up to a little secret pond I used to frequent. I set my alarm for 5:30 and arose to a warm slightly overcast morning. Twenty five minutes later I pulled up to the lakeshore and dropped my boat into the shallows. From the dipping sparrows, I could tell there was a hatch going on just off a shoal across the lake. I rowed my boat over and double anchored right along the transition drop off. Early season chironomid fishing often starts with black bugs, and as the season progresses you'll get your lighter shades of green and brown.

I dipped my hand into the water and extracted a shed chironomid husk, and matched the size with an offering from my fly box. Tied six feet below my indicator, it was sure to attract the attention of the fish I could now see cruising the shallows. I unfurled the line from my reel and layed out my first cast of the year. Watching with keen eyes for several moments before my indicator disappeared. At this, I raised my rod tip into the weight of the scrapping rainbow. It tail walked across the calm surface several times before it entered my net. This action continued on for hours. An old man I had told about my plans for the weekend had asked me to bring him some trout, as he would enjoy the fresh fish. I quickly kept five smaller ones, and then held out for one larger one. I caught probably thirty fish that morning, One of which was a real lunker that I released, as the breeding stock is sensitive to harvest. Finally I caught my limit with a nice two pounder and made my way off the water so as to pack up and head back to Delta later that day. I cleaned the fish in the creek, and thats where the pics were taken.

http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x105/themanfromsummerscreek/DSC00763.jpg
http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x105/themanfromsummerscreek/DSC00764.jpg
And that, im happy to report was the way a weekend was intended to happen!

Kody94
05-21-2009, 01:36 PM
Thought I'd share a few photo's from my trip last weekend. Headed up to the family property just outside of Princeton, with my fly rod and a bear tag in my pocket. I talked to Ron at Princeton Outdoors, and asked him where I could find a color phase bear. He passed on rumor's of the whereabouts down a certain road. I also picked up a bunch of chironomids and some strike indicators in the case that I might find myself fishing. I left the store and headed into this new area with high hopes.
I was with my cousin and two other buddies, and we had a great time just exploring a few mountain roads. The two buddies both have their hunting licenses, however they have never witnessed an animal being taken, so I really wanted to show them what it was all about. We ventured all the way to the top of the logging road, although we only encountered one pile of bear scat. I had explained to everyone how the animal is often in a location you wouldn't think it would be. So after having cruised around for over an hour we were headed back down the mountain.
As I came around a switchback, I instantly made eye contact with the bear we were after. He wasn't into sticking around, and started heading up the hillside we had just come down. By this time I had set up in shooting position, and as I squeezed the trigger to my 270 wsm, my shoulder was struck with the thundering click of a misfire! I quickly ejected the shell, and replaced it with a fresh one. Found the bear once again through the leopold scope, and squeezed the trigger a second time. This round did as I intended, and was a clean shoulder shot. It was a very clean kill.
While we gave the bear a few moments to expire and I cut the tag, I also took time to examine the misfired shell. What I found was that the primer was clearly seated too deeply. The firing pin on my rifle had only put a dimple on the primer. For the record this wasn't a cheap round, it was a factory loaded 110 grain barnes ttsx bullet. I always pre-chamber all of my hunting rounds, however I've never looked at the primers before. A good note to hunters, is to not only chamber all of your rounds, but to visibly check the primers. I didn't take the time to get a picture of the bullet, and because I wasn't going to drive around with a half struck shell, I tossed it.
What I walked up to next was exactly what I was looking for. A beautiful color phase boar. Bigger than my last bear. I couldn't be happier with him.
http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x105/themanfromsummerscreek/DSC00730.jpg

We took care of him that night. I taught the guys how to cape an animal out and salt him up. I know for a fact these guys will be avid hunters just from the way they handled themselves around the animal. Nothing but admiration.

I used to be a really avid fly fisherman before I got into hunting, and with my bear tag cut, I decided to load up my 12' aluminum and head up to a little secret pond I used to frequent. I set my alarm for 5:30 and arose to a warm slightly overcast morning. Twenty five minutes later I pulled up to the lakeshore and dropped my boat into the shallows. From the dipping sparrows, I could tell there was a hatch going on just off a shoal across the lake. I rowed my boat over and double anchored right along the transition drop off. Early season chironomid fishing often starts with black bugs, and as the season progresses you'll get your lighter shades of green and brown.

I dipped my hand into the water and extracted a shed chironomid husk, and matched the size with an offering from my fly box. Tied six feet below my indicator, it was sure to attract the attention of the fish I could now see cruising the shallows. I unfurled the line from my reel and layed out my first cast of the year. Watching with keen eyes for several moments before my indicator disappeared. At this, I raised my rod tip into the weight of the scrapping rainbow. It tail walked across the calm surface several times before it entered my net. This action continued on for hours. An old man I had told about my plans for the weekend had asked me to bring him some trout, as he would enjoy the fresh fish. I quickly kept five smaller ones, and then held out for one larger one. I caught probably thirty fish that morning, One of which was a real lunker that I released, as the breeding stock is sensitive to harvest. Finally I caught my limit with a nice two pounder and made my way off the water so as to pack up and head back to Delta later that day. I cleaned the fish in the creek, and thats where the pics were taken.

http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x105/themanfromsummerscreek/DSC00763.jpg
http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x105/themanfromsummerscreek/DSC00764.jpg
And that, im happy to report was the way a weekend was intended to happen!

Nicely done. http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon14.gif That qualifies as a great weekend alright.

358win
05-21-2009, 01:36 PM
Can I have one ?
Congrats untouchable. Good pictures.

srupp
05-21-2009, 01:37 PM
Great Black bear...super hide and great head well done and some ggreat eating to boot... yup a most exellent adventure...good on you for holding it all together after the missfire...

steven

leadpillproductions
05-21-2009, 01:54 PM
Sounds like a fun weekend, congrads on ther bear and fish .

JeremyCarrano302
05-21-2009, 02:03 PM
i wish my weekend was that great lol
at least someone did
congrats on you nice bear and beautiful trout

Summit 512
05-21-2009, 02:52 PM
Nice bear and that one trout is a beauty

plumbob
05-21-2009, 04:34 PM
congrats on the weekend.

ElectricDyck
05-21-2009, 04:59 PM
Can't beat that weekend, congrats. Federal Ammo?

fester
05-21-2009, 05:03 PM
great pics

buckguy
05-21-2009, 05:13 PM
Now that's definately a great way to spend a weekend. Great looking boar!

snareman1234
05-21-2009, 06:22 PM
hell yea man, congrats, perfect weekend!

JOHNRAMBO
05-21-2009, 06:38 PM
Thats a really nice bear. congrats

clu__82
05-21-2009, 07:54 PM
Congrats on the great weekend !!! Anytime you can head out with a plan and make it happen is awesome....awesome looking bear and some beautiful trout as well....take care and continued good luck to you

clu

Th0r
05-21-2009, 08:10 PM
Wow! That would qualify as the weekend of a lifetime. You got more success and good times than I am lucky to get in two week trip. Good for you. BTW I love to flyfish as well.

Johnnybear
05-21-2009, 10:58 PM
Awesome weekend. Thanks for sharing.

tuzzi_bear
05-21-2009, 11:09 PM
why didnt you wait 60 seconds after the misfire? Nice bear though!

PGK
05-21-2009, 11:16 PM
Chalk up another for the mighty .277 110 triple shock! Nice fish.

Mik
05-22-2009, 02:10 AM
Great story,looks like one heck of a good weekend. Congrats.

hunter1947
05-22-2009, 07:03 AM
You can't get a much better weekend then that one ,very nice weekend you had.

whitespringer
05-22-2009, 07:16 AM
That's the kind off May weekend Im looking for! Congrats on the full pull.:smile:

Elkaholic
05-22-2009, 07:19 AM
That is the way a weekend should always go! Good job.

91Jason91
12-15-2011, 03:07 AM
Best weekend of my life, I was one of the friends that was there when he took down the bear and that made me want to do the same so I have been hunting and taking down tophys ever since thanks to unstoppable - Cam
my dad made me get my licence and he passed away before he could start bringing me on hunts and thanks to Cam unstoppable he got me into hunting a sport a love because of cam and my dad and will never stop doing it. Cam has also passed away now and I miss you and love you so much bro, I will never forget the things you have tought me and never never never forget this hunt that you took me on and got me deep into hunting
thanks man
you will be missed buddy

The Dude
12-15-2011, 03:19 AM
The OP of this thread passed away? Man, he was such a good storyteller, and seemed to truly love the outdoors.
Sorry for your loss, Bro, he seemed like a great guy just from what I've read.

Knute
12-15-2011, 07:40 AM
Sorry to hear of your losses 91J91...it seems your Dad and Cam both enjoyed their lives to the fullest...take care.

frenchbar
12-15-2011, 07:53 AM
RIP Cam ..1 day i will find the Untouchable Buck...He will be deticated to you .:)

ufishifish2
12-15-2011, 09:05 AM
Thanks for the reminder 91Jason91. Thoughts go again to Cam