PDA

View Full Version : Gone for 20 days....

srupp
05-21-2009, 01:19 PM
I am off to the west coast for up to 3 weeks..:biggrin: halibut fishing..crabbing..maybe even some prawning..:grin:..two of the group have coastal grizzly tags :eek:..so it should be a full meal deal trip..

Thanks to so many guys and gals who have helped with crab bait..equipment..friendly advice..the NEW Accurate reels will be hopefully put to the test..on some MONSTER HALIBUT..the box of chicken for crab bait fresh off the bus from BURNS LAKE...the new Swarovski Binos..and Mr Buddy heater..

And maybe the two lucky $##^%@^#!! who drew the tags will find something big and hairy they like to take home...

Se ya all in a few weeks...

cheers

Steven

358win
05-21-2009, 01:37 PM
Luck. Weather is on your side srupp.
Looking forward to pictures.

Untouchable
05-21-2009, 01:43 PM
Best of luck on your adventures Srupp!

Springer
05-21-2009, 03:46 PM
Spots working Elmer !! I got your test from the back yard. Good luck and good video and pics eh. looking forward to a good feed of Halibut at Sheridan Lake ...

Fireball129
05-21-2009, 03:54 PM
Goodluck on the trip.Hoping to see alot of pics.Just have fun!!

frenchbar
05-21-2009, 04:05 PM
Have a good trip srupp,and if your overloaded with that halibut on your way back north ,you know where you can unload a few steaks:wink:

srupp
05-21-2009, 04:06 PM
Thanks GUYS..Ya Phil just checking for the Missus so she can know when to cash in the life insurance policy....when the SPOT messages stop arriving...

steven

Gateholio
05-21-2009, 04:07 PM
Keep your stick on the ice!:smile:

BlacktailStalker
05-21-2009, 04:08 PM
Have fun, take lots of pics.

srupp
05-21-2009, 04:13 PM
goodluck to you Mr. Gatehouse..I foresee a HUGE silvertip 8' sometime in the next 10 days..for EWE..

steven

plumbob
05-21-2009, 04:26 PM
Good luck steven, sounds like a heck of a time to be had.

Skeena Hunter 1
05-21-2009, 04:27 PM
Chicken from Burns Lake!!!:confused:

No chicken in Williams lake, what am I missing?

srupp
05-21-2009, 08:11 PM
hmmmm specially bred and raised to hold their breaths to add to the live look and attract the biggest crabs.

C'mon you mean you are trying to tell me you have personally gone to Burns Lake and NOT come home with crabs??? Kinda hard to believe..:tongue:

Still waiting on the Vancouver boyz...:shock: since about 8am..lol

I know theyll get here....I hope..Typical dispatcher ..tells everyone ELSE where to go and what to do once they are there and HE'S late..lol..

Steven

gary mok
05-21-2009, 08:59 PM
WOW.....That must be fun,have a good time,I wish I could go with you guys.

hunter1947
05-22-2009, 07:19 AM
Have a nice trip and will be looking forwards to the pic you took.

Leaseman
05-22-2009, 07:22 AM
Hope they finally arrived and you got away Buddy......:lol:

It will be a very intersting trip for you to say the least......:eek:

Whose turn was it to bring the sardines.....:biggrin:

mountainman
05-22-2009, 10:17 AM
Dam why does my boat get to have all the fun???

Have a heck of a good trip! Remember though thise aren't teddy bears out there!

srupp
05-22-2009, 11:57 AM
Well Mike the STILL havnt finally arrived.:eek:....I DID bring the sardines OR USE WITH BREAD AND MAYO ONLY..:biggrin:
Joe at least the jet boat runs..the boat they first had wasnt up to the trip..the second one had a brand new motor and it calved on the demo ride and they couldnt find parts last nite..still no call yet today so off for a haircut..:cool:..

Yes Mike it should be interesting..vewwwwy vewwwwy intersting..

Steven:biggrin:

PS Joe you have had a standing offer on moose caribou..black bear whatever on the hunter host program with me for 3 years..ya just have to DO IT...

Stone Sheep Steve
05-22-2009, 12:08 PM
Got your water-wings for your optics and camera gear??;-)

Good luck and be safe....

SSS

Leaseman
05-22-2009, 12:08 PM
Hmmmmmm......:eek:

Sounds like this trip could become a best selling novel!!!!

What did Susan do with the pool boy since you were suppose to be loooong gone.....:lol::grin::wink:

Ike
05-22-2009, 12:18 PM
All the girls at the dock are asking where their "Stevie" is, they must have heard you were coming ;)

Have a good trip when you finally get away.

srupp
05-22-2009, 02:19 PM
Thanks Mike STAVROS the pool boy has been seen lurking in my neighborhood..

Hi Brad..hmmm those ladies just cant take no for an answer oh well what can you expect from 85 year old Ladies with limited ENGLISH..

Susan wont let me take the Nikkon..I get the pocket camera thats WATERPROOF..omg....

STILL waiting now Im afraid of the reliability of this boat when 3 OUTBOARD MARINE TECHS CANT GET IT RUNNING IN 2 DAYS !!!!!!!!

STAY tuned..the saga the adventure..jeez hundreds of looks and we havnt even left home..

Steven

mountainman
05-22-2009, 02:30 PM
Oh wow! Are you going to get out this weekend? You know mechanics they don't like to work weekends!

srupp
05-22-2009, 02:44 PM
Thanks Joe....BREAKING NEWS..THIS JUST IN BOAT IS FIXED..:eek:

Dave and Rob are headed north...:biggrin:...so once again I pack the truck in anticipation of the boyz being here by dusk and a all nighter to Bella Coola..with a launch of both boats by flashlites...and a 3:57 am departure from the marina..the mid coast is pretty calm that time of day..but once the thermals start heating the inlets and rocks the updrafts allow plenty of cold ocean air to scream down the 60 kilometers of fiord and so by 1000 am its pretty lumpy..add in Mesache nose and the convergence of the 4 channels well it gets interesting add any wind and ..:eek: can ruin your day and destroy your shorts..Disneyland has nothing on THAT ride..

I STILL dont enjoy the idea of 27 MILES of the BELLA COOLA hill IN THE DARK.. towing 2 boats..but hey thats what has to be done....what a guy doesnt do for his friends..:wink:...the saga continues...

Steven

Ike
05-22-2009, 03:58 PM
Well our nice sunny day has just changed to dark windy and rainy. A nasty storm has blew in from the West over the past couple of hours and I can't see the mountintops anymore, hell I can hardly see the mountains. Hope it blows through before you arrive.

Cheers

srupp
05-22-2009, 07:50 PM
still waiting..the damn truck is going to run out of diesel soon...ideling for so many hours yawnnnnnnnn:tongue:

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz steven:shock:

Springer
05-28-2009, 10:44 PM
I received the 2nd Spot transmit from Srupp ,Rob and Dave...Everything is OK in K-Bay.
It is pretty awesome to have the Google satellite terrain photo showing where they are at. I was in the same place back in October ,,and let me tell you the Wet Coast rain forest sure is not like the prairies here at home. It was a mystical place and the weather can really determine how much you may enjoy the trip or not.
I would love to go again one day,but i still feel lucky being there once.
Any bet's as to anyone cutting a Grizz tag yet ?? I wonder if any fishing has been taking place,Crab and Prawn set-ups. Can imagine the meals :cool:

Ike
05-29-2009, 04:33 AM
.....I wonder if any fishing has been taking place,Crab and Prawn set-ups. Can imagine the meals :cool:

Can't beat gourmet meals like crab and 5 cheese KD, fresh prawns a la beans and weiners, Halibut and braised Spam.....mmmm ;)
OK I expect they will eat a little better than that.

Glad to hear they made it fine, keep us updated

Cheers

hunter1947
05-29-2009, 04:55 AM
Yes all HBC ,there is nothing like having the opportunity to harvest sea food at it best on the west coast.
The undergrowth as for the big trees says it all ,I'm sure he is having a blast ,good for him ,Im sure that surpp will have lots of pic and a good story to post for all us when he gets home.:).

Mik
05-29-2009, 05:31 AM
Well Steven, take good notes, it sounds like another great story in the making. take care, have fun and be safe.

mountainman
05-29-2009, 03:02 PM
Man I can hardly wait for them to get back, this fishing out of little boats is for the birds :shock: Need to see some pictures of this trip too. Springer shoulda went to run the camera again :wink:

Springer
05-30-2009, 06:23 PM
Joe I would love to be there filming Grizzly Bears,Grizzly hunters and catching the fish'o'the day. Apparently there is a great Coho run that the brave ones fish for on the Kwatna River.
Received 3 more OK signals today.

Ike
05-30-2009, 08:58 PM
Joe I would love to be there filming Grizzly Bears,Grizzly hunters and catching the fish'o'the day. Apparently there is a great Coho run that the brave ones fish for on the Kwatna River.
Received 3 more OK signals today.

The coho run there (except for last year) is usually excellent but you are at 'grizzly ground zero' in the fall. A couple of guys from work went there fishing for several days, camping upriver a few kms but finally got tired of catching coho and tired of bears walking into their camp and past the tent all the time.
Cheers

Springer
06-04-2009, 11:42 AM
Ike sounds like a Hot wire around camp would be usefull!!:eek:
Got another OK signal yesterday from the Grizzly Gang in K-Bay!!
I believe they should be home on the 8th. Can't wait to hear how their doing and Steve's story of it all. Let's hope they make the Book again just like Tim's Bear. Maybe even pictures if Steve keeps the camera inside the boat and not on the Ocean floor.:lol:

Cheers.

mountainman
06-04-2009, 01:38 PM
So Springer you talking about Grizzly bears or Grizzly old men has been a week in camp for those boys!!
Good to hear they are still ok and Steve hasn't dropped Spot to the ocean floor yet!

Springer
06-04-2009, 02:16 PM
I'm sure Grizzly old men as well for sure Joe !! The spot i believe is childproof and floats,its just whether butter fingers can still swim or not..:p if it goes overboard.
Joes High Speed hotel,Kitchen & transporter.
http://i410.photobucket.com/albums/pp189/Springer428/DSCN3722.jpg

Elmer on watch !! Oh here Gwizzly Gwizzly Bear...Come out and play ....I have friends who want to meet you..
http://i410.photobucket.com/albums/pp189/Springer428/DSCN3730.jpg

Leaseman
06-05-2009, 06:56 AM
Ike sounds like a Hot wire around camp would be usefull!!:eek:
Got another OK signal yesterday from the Grizzly Gang in K-Bay!!
I believe they should be home on the 8th. Can't wait to hear how their doing and Steve's story of it all. Let's hope they make the Book again just like Tim's Bear. Maybe even pictures if Steve keeps the camera inside the boat and not on the Ocean floor.:lol:

Cheers.

I would be suprised if Susan let him take the camera this year.....;):lol:

When we were out sturgeon fishing, Susan had him tie the camera around his neck.....:eek:

Leaseman
06-05-2009, 06:57 AM
"Joes kitchen" looks good!

When are you guys heading fishing this summer Joe? Steve might not want to give your boat back....:lol:

Springer
06-05-2009, 12:32 PM
News Flash...Got a signal from Nimpo Lake ,looks like the Grizzlers are on their way back.Hang onto your seats ..

srupp
06-05-2009, 08:54 PM
WEEEEEERE BAAAACK...lol...
the most AMAZING thing....

elkdom
06-05-2009, 09:03 PM
WEEEEEERE BAAAACK...lol...
the most AMAZING thing....

AHHHHHH??? let me think?????

you guys have GROCERIES left over from your trip??? :lol:

Kitimat Killer
06-05-2009, 09:21 PM
come on no holding back now

srupp
06-05-2009, 11:29 PM
funny boy Doug..ERRRR actually we did have a few things left over...lol

well in 12 days we saw THIRTY-TWO grizzlies..yes 32...yes some where "repeats" so we estimate we saw 20 plus different GRIZZLIES...also 11 black bears...

we DID in fact harvest a AMAZING grizzly..one that has to be seen..

we were CHARGED by a 8 foot MOMMA grizzly..about 600 pounds..with 2 teenage THUGS for children...the story is exceptional...

We again had FANTASTIC crabbing all being legal male crabs..some were MAGNUM SIZED..not one was undersized..the chicken was exellent bait !!!!

The halibut fishing SUCKED for us..:eek:

The entire adventure was filled with twists and turns..and lots of excitement..

I am off to Alberta to return the jet boat.. when I return I will try and do the adventure justice in words and photos..

I only hope the two bear hunters now appreciate the 20 days of logistics and equipment needed and all the background work needed to get this done..it will indeed be interesting to get their take on their ONCE IN A LIFETIME ADVENTURE.....it truly was exciting...and successful...

cheers

Steven

Springer
06-06-2009, 12:35 AM
Glad to hear ya'all made it back safe and sound and had success on Bears. Can't wait to watch the live footage on DVD Blue ray !!;)

So Charging Bears eh,, Well after 2 weeks of Hunting Bears on the Coast,No Shave no Showers,maybe Momma Bear just recognized you as one of her own :eek:.

Congrats to all of you on the success.

Cheers !!

Kitimat Killer
06-06-2009, 12:54 AM
way to go steven good too see you guys had a really good trip can't waite to see pics and here the rest of the storey

kk

srupp
06-06-2009, 03:17 AM
Hi Phil..yes I do an exellent job of videoing the entire harvesting sequence ..well except for ONE detail..:oops:... we actually showered every couple of days..like I said we took LOTS of equipment..LOTS..2 BOATS FULL..

THERE WAS NO SHORTAGE OF WILDLIFE, excitement, adventure..now comes a week of clean up and getting all that gear checked over, and back to ready level for the next adventure which is 12 days of fly fishing @ Sheridan lake starting on the 14th...

This last adventure had more fun and excitement than Dave and my spring black bear last spring or our stone sheep fiasco with BS George...this time Dave got all the adventure he wanted...and then some...lol

Steven

Springer
06-06-2009, 04:09 AM
Well if you get a chance burn your DVD if not bring the camera with the tape and we can watch it at Sheridan.
Obviously there were more Bears this Spring than last Oct eh.

Some time today all the boys and girls on here would like to see some pics...Git-Er-Done!

srupp
06-06-2009, 04:39 AM
uh Phil its 4:30 AM...just trying to get the nite shift DONE..lol...then home to buy new tires for the truck..then a oil change on the truck..then buy my first cell phone..then SLEEP..LOL

TIRED Elmer..

hunter1947
06-06-2009, 05:39 AM
Will be waiting for the main story and pic to follow ,glad all went well for you and your partners on this coast trip :cool:.

plumbob
06-06-2009, 09:23 AM
Sounds like it was excellent steven.

srupp
06-06-2009, 11:14 AM
HMMM CHICKEN tasted a bit "off" but the crabs LOVED IT..lol..thank you..

some steaks or moose roast here for you..

I will wait untill the actual hunters post their thoughts hell I was there just for the fishing..

Steven

Springer
06-06-2009, 01:59 PM
Oh right...you just go hunting and fishing to bring home good food to feed the family:lol:. Looking forward to a fish fry myself of those delicious BC rainbow trout in another 8 days. You can rest later....pics man pics....

srupp
06-08-2009, 07:45 AM
Will hopefully get a few minutes to post a photo tonite of the bear...fresh WALLEYE from Alberta tonight on the barbque..:biggrin:

sorry for the delay but lots of cleaning up to get done..20 hrs yesterday to return the jet boat and theres that thing called work..

steven

Elkhound
06-08-2009, 09:24 AM
Welcome back....and welcome to modern technology....first cell phone...snicker, snicker:biggrin:

srupp
06-08-2009, 11:18 PM
a couple of photos..more to come and some of my thoughts on the adventure...

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d47/srupp/P10100310001.jpg
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d47/srupp/P10100320001.jpg

cheers

Steven

hunter1947
06-09-2009, 05:30 AM
Very nice looking griz that you got there Steven ,it looks like he has a beard with that rock under his mouth ,LOL.