PDA

View Full Version : princeton bears

snareman1234
05-21-2009, 07:30 AM
Hey my family and I are going up to princeton for the weekend, we are going up the Whipsaw FSR, I've hunted deer in there, but never bear.

from google earth I can see some huge cut blocks in there, anyone ever see bear in there?

huntinnewbie
05-21-2009, 07:52 AM
Not real familiar with the Whipsaw area other than I have heard it gets lots of hunting pressure and is popular with ATV's and sleds. Last year we saw lots in behind Coalmont and there is a great forestry campsite at Granite Creek, 10 bucks a night and you can quad right from there and go up lots of FSR roads for miles. Good luck.

Steeleco
05-21-2009, 08:00 AM
You shouldn't have any trouble finding bears in there. One spring trip into Goose lake a few years back, the wife and I spotted 8 bears in the half hour it took us to get to the lake. The two areas aren't that far apart.

snareman1234
05-21-2009, 06:56 PM
ahh thats good to hear steeleco!!

and thanks HN, but my family sort of picked the area,
my dad used to deer hunt lots up there, and knows the area so wants to go there

hunter1947
05-22-2009, 07:23 AM
When I hunted there a few years back there in Oct I saw lots of bears in this area ,as for a few brown ones as well ,should have no prob finding what you are looking for.

FLHTCUI
05-22-2009, 07:26 AM
I thought I saw a big blackie in the middle of that cut-block ....
You gotta look close though.
Rob

2x4x16
05-22-2009, 07:36 AM
Watch out for the ATVs and dikes, lots of people around, we go up there in Sept with the kids to hang out and ride, I have yet to see any shooters - deer or bear. You will have to stay low terrain up top is going to be brown or still snow covered. Access the area from Coalmont side, like one mentioned at Granite creek. You can access the Coq. but the snow is probably to deep. There are lots of areas and roads low down. I know of guys that have run into dirt bags that hit the bottle to early in the day and thought they were going for a MMA bout. Watch your gear when you leave. But still have fun.

huntinnewbie
05-22-2009, 09:38 AM
hahahaha, I guess you meant bikes? but it is funnier thinking of dikes running around the place.
I agree with your comment. Although I have never camped in that area I have heard it can be a gong show.

2x4x16
05-22-2009, 10:04 PM
That my bad, we have dikes running around here, don't need to go to Princeton for that. It definitely was BIKES

blindbob
05-23-2009, 09:59 PM
I have a place up near there but haven't seen any out yet. I saw one big one in Manning park being watched by about 20 vehicles full of people last week.