PDA

View Full Version : Tape over a muzzle brake?

BiG Boar
05-21-2009, 07:25 AM
I have a muzzle brake on my .416 rem mag. Just wondering if I should be taping over just the hole in the end, or should I be covering all the muzzle brake holes that are drilled in the side of the barrel too? I mean its to stop rain and crap from getting in there. And just the end would help but not completley. Anyone do this before?

phoenix
05-21-2009, 07:30 AM
I buy a pair of heavier dish washing gloves from the supermarket and cut off the fingers and slide one of those over the BOSS/brake on my 7mm. They usually stay on on their own but if they feel loose I put a rubber band over it also. I find the tape leaves it sticky feeling and the finger is easy to remove every night so I don't leave moisture in the barrel. You can also buy muzzle sheiks from your local sporting goods store, Birchwood-Casey makes them but I find those a little thin and they get ripped by brush and stuff. I also tried the first-aid ones to protect cut fingers. They were nice and heavy but quite pricey. Cover the holes for sure whatever method you choose.
Kim

Steeleco
05-21-2009, 08:05 AM
Use the glove finger idea Dave, if you need some, I've got plenty. You could use electrical tape too, the idea is to cover all the holes, as you mentioned.

Besides, Real men only have one hole at the end of the barrel. ROFLMAO!!!!!

leadpillproductions
05-21-2009, 08:56 AM
I always tape the end in the fall, go ahead cover the muzzle break shoot right threw with no problem.

bullmagnum
05-21-2009, 10:29 AM
I also put a small (1 inch) piece of electrical tape over the end. I dont stick it to the side of the barrel, I just leave it stuck to the end. The pressure from the shot will blow the tape right off before the bullet even reaches it.

05-21-2009, 11:04 AM
l have used electrical tape, fingers cut off latex gloves, and orange surveyors tape (also gives an idea of wind if you leave a tail on).....they all work, but as mentioned, cover all openings on the brake. Iso alchol removes any of the residue left from tape

Gateholio
05-21-2009, 11:27 AM
Tape or finger condoms work on muzzle brakes.

Muzzle brakes on hunting rifles are ghey, just in case anyone was wondering.:smile:

bowhunterbruce
05-21-2009, 12:15 PM
you could try first aid type gloves,they are cheap and you can get a box of them from any medical supply place.just cut of the fingers and thumbs and you have a large supply as well as keeping a few pairs if you use them for cleaning out your animals

brenden
05-21-2009, 06:23 PM
Remember... that taped muzzle brakes are like little grenades for bystanders when its -20c or so. The little shards of frozen tape travel in some strange directions.... even rearward of the muzzle! Hurts the face. The shooter never feels it but your partner might.

Brenden

hunter1993ap
05-21-2009, 09:15 PM
i use ballons they work really good and are easy to take on and off.just make sure you take them off after you've been out or your barrel will rust!!

pupper
05-21-2009, 10:16 PM
funny, I was just wondering about this last weekend.

Salty
05-24-2009, 11:13 AM
Tape or finger condoms work on muzzle brakes.

Muzzle brakes on hunting rifles are ghey, just in case anyone was wondering.:smile:

I wasn't really wondering but thanks for the reminder. :p

Phreddy
05-24-2009, 11:46 AM
I hate the residue left from Electricians tape. I always use masking tape. Comes of clean 'n gits 'er dun.