PDA

View Full Version : Socks

Savage Man
05-20-2009, 08:04 PM
So I got a new pair of Hanwag Alaska boots yesterday and now I want to know what everyone is using for good socks?

308Lover
05-20-2009, 08:10 PM
Wigwam socks--lots of styles--wear well.

waistdeep
05-20-2009, 08:49 PM
congrates on one of the finest boots made - really have enjoyed mine!

livingston
05-20-2009, 09:12 PM
I've been using some socks made by Danner that are really good heavyweight merino wool, lots of cushion and wick moisture well.Plus they have lasted 3 seasons of hiking and hunting and are still holding up well.

fester
05-20-2009, 09:33 PM
wool handknit

bigwhiteys
05-20-2009, 09:40 PM
Thorlo Trekking Level III

leadpillproductions
05-20-2009, 11:02 PM
These are the ones im leaning towards, they look great .

open-sights
05-21-2009, 08:14 AM
Testing these out right now, called Hunter's Foot. Merino wool, got the "Elk" Tracks on right now. http://www.huntersfoot.com/

muleyman
05-21-2009, 08:49 AM
Smart Wool.

bigwhiteys
05-21-2009, 08:58 AM
Smart Wool.

Maybe for road hunting... Tried these socks out and they continually slide off my feet and become bunched up in the toe of my boot. Great for walking around the house but that's about it.

I've spent a few hundred bucks on trying different sock brands over the last few years (wigwam, smartwool, ingenius, redhead, kodiak,browning) and it would take a pretty serious hiking sock to pry me away from my Thorlos. I like them so much I buy a fresh pair for every day of my backpack hunts... It's a little luxury for your feet when they have carried you over miles and miles of the roughest terrain.

Carl

Spokerider
05-21-2009, 09:13 AM
So I got a new pair of Hanwag Alaska boots yesterday and now I want to know what everyone is using for good socks?

Say, how do those boots fit, width-wise? Are they a narrow, med or EEEE type of fit?

Stone Sheep Steve
05-21-2009, 09:16 AM

Haven't been able to find those exact socks on the Thorlo website. Maybe I'm a little daft:roll:. Found other "trekking" models but not the III's.

I see Valhalla carries(or at least is supposed to carry) the Kenetrek socks. Anybody seen them in the Vernon store???

SSS

BCrams
05-21-2009, 09:20 AM
Haven't been able to find those exact socks on the Thorlo website. Maybe I'm a little daft:roll:. Found other "trekking" models but not the III's.

I see Valhalla carries(or at least is supposed to carry) the Kenetrek socks. Anybody seen them in the Vernon store???

SSS

Maybe socks which are also scent wicking and hold the scent would be a bonus :biggrin:

bigwhiteys
05-21-2009, 09:24 AM

They are just the "Trekking" and the Level III is the cushioning designation, which you'll find on the side of the sock package...

http://www.thorlo.com/socks/hiking-socks/crew/51.php

"THICK" is also the same as Level III if you read their description on how to decide which sock is best.

I get mine from "shudder" MEC as much as I hate giving them business it's the fastest and easiest.

Carl

Stone Sheep Steve
05-21-2009, 09:34 AM
They are just the "Trekking" and the Level III is the cushioning designation, which you'll find on the side of the sock package...

http://www.thorlo.com/socks/hiking-socks/crew/51.php

"THICK" is also the same as Level III if you read their description on how to decide which sock is best.

I get mine from "shudder" MEC as much as I hate giving them business it's the fastest and easiest.

Carl

Thanks BW!

SSS

bigwhiteys
05-21-2009, 09:55 AM
Thanks BW!

You'll say that again when you've hiked your ass off to get up high with a heavy pack and then you slip on a brand new pair during your sock change... Next to spotting some sheep and taking a mountain house dump it will be the best part of your day! :)

Carl

huntcoop
05-21-2009, 11:09 AM
....I get mine from "shudder" MEC as much as I hate giving them business.....

X2 but everytime I go there to buy something I make sure I mention that I need it for my upcoming hunting trip. For some reason that makes me feel better.

muleyman
05-21-2009, 11:28 AM
Everyone has different feet try as many as you can,again smart wool works for me.

Stone Sheep Steve
05-21-2009, 12:10 PM
You'll say that again when you've hiked your ass off to get up high with a heavy pack and then you slip on a brand new pair during your sock change... Next to spotting some sheep and taking a mountain house dump it will be the best part of your day! :)

Carl

Rams will be glad if I get some new socks. When I take off my boots at night he won't be saying "Did you step in your Mtn House dump??":shock:...:biggrin:

SSS

Savage Man
05-21-2009, 07:45 PM
Say, how do those boots fit, width-wise? Are they a narrow, med or EEEE type of fit?

Ihad my foot measured when I bought the boots and was told that I have med foot and the fit me well