PDA

View Full Version : Elk shed -

BCrams
05-20-2009, 12:45 PM
I've been sitting on a Region 7a elk shed for a little while but brought it into the office and finally put a rough tape to it .......

It has a single non-typical point of about 11 inches.

Total shed measurement is roughly 181 inches. A bit of a 'jeezus' was muttered as the score came out.

One can't help wonder the 'what if's'.

Its sun bleached and probably shrunk some and I'll be looking for ideas how to stain it.

btw - found a shed where jml found his but not a match.

Ride
05-20-2009, 12:50 PM
Sounds like a nice piece of bone. Any pics?

And about that other shed, how big was it as well?

Blacktail
05-20-2009, 12:52 PM
go to the drug store and get some pottasium permanganate

mix a little with water and wipe it on the antler and let it dry
It goes on purple but dries a brown colour.Keep applying the stuff until you get the desired colour you want.take a green kitchen scrub pad to the tips to "ivory" them and seal the antler with a flat finish acrylic sealer

wear rubber gloves when handling this stuff as it will also turn your hands brown and it will have to wear off as you won't be able to wash it off.

give it a try8)

BCrams
05-20-2009, 12:53 PM
Sounds like a nice piece of bone. Any pics?

And about that other shed, how big was it as well?

The other shed is a dink 4 pt but appears to have similar traits to the other shed. Genetics maybe??

BCrams
05-20-2009, 12:55 PM

give it a try8)

Thanks! Will do just that!

Jelvis
05-20-2009, 01:04 PM
no good without pix -- need pics.

jml11
05-20-2009, 01:20 PM
Correction, the 7th NT point is 15 inches long, the H1 measurement is 11"!. It's quite the jaw dopper of a shed. Makes you really want to the pound the bush around here to find those elusive monster Omineca bulls.

Gus
05-20-2009, 01:51 PM
good one! Sounds like a real cranker

Fisher-Dude
05-20-2009, 04:58 PM
I've been sitting on a Region 7a elk shed for a little while

That's gotta hurt! :shock: Which point were you sitting on?

The things you guys do for fun up north. :???:

leadpillproductions
05-20-2009, 05:06 PM
Sounds like a good shed

gbear
05-20-2009, 06:21 PM

mix a little with water and wipe it on the antler and let it dry
It goes on purple but dries a brown colour.Keep applying the stuff until you get the desired colour you want.take a green kitchen scrub pad to the tips to "ivory" them and seal the antler with a flat finish acrylic sealer

wear rubber gloves when handling this stuff as it will also turn your hands brown and it will have to wear off as you won't be able to wash it off.

give it a try8)

I was just going to say the same thing! I tried it years ago after reading about it in a magazine and it worked well.

Sounds like a real nice shed.

hunter1947
05-21-2009, 05:05 AM
How about posting a pic of this big RME shed you found BCrams ,I as others would like to see it http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon7.gif.