PDA

View Full Version : Bear Entertainment - PICS

steepNdeep
05-20-2009, 12:07 PM
Bears are good entertainment in the spring. These days I look forward to sniping them in the ass off my deck with my bow and rubber blunts when they won't listen to my dog and leave the yard.. :lol: Conservation can be entertaining...

In the past I've shot a few - bow and rifle but mostly just watch them now. Since I've got kids and live on an acreage, I bought an (Elkhound) bear dog that loves to chase them and trees them on her own occasionally.

Here's my dog and a couple of lil' bears that I considered coming out of retirement for. Any guesses on size?

http://www.secretcreeksupplies.com/bear-tree-fat.jpg

http://www.secretcreeksupplies.com/bear-tree-ears-s.jpg

http://www.secretcreeksupplies.com/bear-bigred-ass.jpg

http://www.secretcreeksupplies.com/bear-bigred-ass1.jpg

http://www.secretcreeksupplies.com/b-dog.jpg

moosehunter21
05-20-2009, 01:44 PM
cool pics thanks for sharing!

KodiakHntr
05-20-2009, 02:30 PM
No idea on the sizes, but both would likely be shooters...

And looks to me like your dog is standing in Kootenay Lake.....

leadpillproductions
05-20-2009, 02:56 PM
Nice pics thanks

wolverine
05-20-2009, 02:58 PM
Man, do blunts ever knock a patch of hair off their asses though. Sure gets 'em moving when they're playing silly bugger though.

bsa30-06
05-20-2009, 03:33 PM
Those bears look just as comfortable up a tree as they do on the ground.Some nice playmates your dog has there.

steepNdeep
05-20-2009, 07:47 PM
Man, do blunts ever knock a patch of hair off their asses though. Sure gets 'em moving when they're playing silly bugger though.

We usually get ~6 or 7 different black bears in our yard per year (1 shooter chocolate boar last year). With young kids playing on the edge of the forest, I can't afford to have any bold bears hangin' around... Most of them get with teh program when my dog puts the run on them once or twice.

Last year this one bear just didn't get it. He'd sit in the yard eating clover with teh dog barking 5 feet from it's face. He usually showed up when I was at work, but I finally caught up with him and ran him ~1km down across the creek with the dog. We ran him a couple more times and finally we treed him and I fired the shotty in his direction to make an impression. I fired in his direction a couple other times, but he didn't learn...:roll:

Apparently this bear wanted to die... he almost got his wish! I think it was the same bear 5 yrs ago, who as a a yearling climbed into my house painters truck through the window and was eating his air freshener when he went to get his lunch... His almost sh!t his pants when he opened the door! :shock:

Anyways finally found some rubber blunts on the web and they did the trick on the next visit in the fall. That or a dead bear... Never seen a bear move so fast! :biggrin: He cruised through ~a week ago, but was gone before I got my bow out...

Kodiak - Yeah, I think that was Kootenay Lake. Nice area!

Chuck
05-20-2009, 08:02 PM
Just read today that the CO had to put down a young grizzly boar that was in poor shape and wouldn't leave a mobile home park near Nelson.
But ya! it's easy around here to take a short drive in the evening and watch the bears - very entertaining. Sure beats re-runs on TV.

hunter1947
05-21-2009, 05:02 AM
That first pic of the bear in the tree is not to shabby ,he looks to be around a 6 foot bear ,nice pic of him in the tree.

steepNdeep
05-22-2009, 09:52 AM
That first pic of the bear in the tree is not to shabby ,he looks to be around a 6 foot bear ,nice pic of him in the tree.

Yeah, they weren't too long, but they were definitely round. Both easily over 300 lbs and would square over 6 feet. The one on the ground was quite a bit bigger and I stalked it with my bow, but couldn't get the shot off...

The one in the tree would not budge with the dog barking in it's face. I didn't have a gun or spray and we had to get by it to get home. So, from 30 yards, I chased up there by grabbing a big stick and smashing it some logs and acting agressively. After that the dog was able to tree it on it's own. :lol:

In a good season, I'll watch over 50 different bears in this valley. I've been charged by a mom and cubs, had several standoffs on the trail where they woofed, popped their jaws and have had to spray one charging at 10 m. All good fun!

ElectricDyck
05-22-2009, 11:04 AM
In a good season, I'll watch over 50 different bears in this valley. I've been charged by a mom and cubs, had several standoffs on the trail where they woofed, popped their jaws and have had to spray one charging at 10 m. All good fun!

Entertaining pics and stories. How effective was the spray at 10m?

Elkhound
05-22-2009, 08:03 PM
I would have taken that one in the tree. Looks like a great bear, at least from that angle...damn I miss my dog...she looks good. They do love the bears dont they. lol

steepNdeep
05-22-2009, 08:28 PM
I would have taken that one in the tree. Looks like a great bear, at least from that angle...damn I miss my dog...she looks good. They do love the bears dont they. lol

Elkhounds are awesome! That's a great pic. When/where did yours go? How old was he?

'Dick - The bear spray stopped her in her tracks at 10 m - it was the loud SSSSSSHHHHHHHH sound that stopped her... she hadn't even hit the mist yet. I wanted to test it out. She backed up to her cubs and was woofin' and poppin'. I left her alone after that. It was a rush though. :shock:

Here's a young mama that's not too happy with me...

http://www.secretcreeksupplies.com/b-cubs.jpg

ElectricDyck
05-22-2009, 08:41 PM
The bear spray stopped her in her tracks at 10 m - it was the loud SSSSSSHHHHHHHH sound that stopped her... she hadn't even hit the mist yet. I wanted to test it out. She backed up to her cubs and was woofin' and poppin'. I left her alone after that. It was a rush though. :shock:

No doubt. They say you are supposed to buy a can and just use it to get the feel of it before you actually need it and that is certainly one of way of testing it.

fester
05-22-2009, 08:55 PM
great photos

martyonthewater
05-22-2009, 10:09 PM
great pics, thanks for sharing.

Elkhound
05-23-2009, 01:41 PM
Elkhounds are awesome! That's a great pic. When/where did yours go? How old was he?

Old and sick...had to put him down last year, but the best dog I ever had for sure....my avatar is him rolling around in the snow up the mountain.