PDA

View Full Version : Whitetail in Cariboo

Busterbrown
05-20-2009, 07:54 AM
We were up at our property in the Watch lake area last week-end and we saw the usual amount of moose in our field but saw a big increase in the number of deer. The interesting part is we only saw one mule deer and the rest were all whitetail. We saw the same trend last year during our LEH moose hunt. Any one else in the cariboo seeing more whitatail deer. One of the deer we saw was a buck and had the beginnings of a very nice rack

steelheadSABO
05-20-2009, 07:56 AM
i havent seen any whitetails around there yet.

Ddog
05-20-2009, 08:54 AM
Its a funny thing, while i was growing up we had a cabin on Green Lake and my best friend had one on Pressy Lake.
back in the 80's there wasnt any whitetail in that area, now it seems there isnt any mulies in there.
the last time we were there before we sold the cabin, the whities out numbered the mulies by at least 5-1. mind you that was a few years back now.

358win
05-20-2009, 09:01 AM
I hunted the Williams lake area throughout the 70's & early 80's and saw no whitetail period. I hear they are plentifull now.

LYKTOHUNT
05-20-2009, 09:26 AM
I live in Quesnel and we are seeing more and more every year I see them behind the Wal Mart, they hang out with the mulies. Guys in our hunting group have taken a few east of town. A few years ago just before hunting season I watched a very nice 5x5 whitetail with double drop tines hanging out with an equal size mulie buck.

Fisher-Dude
05-20-2009, 12:26 PM
Last year was the first for me to see WTs in region 5. A nice eater buck with a doe crossed right in front of the truck :shock:, but went into private property. :(

They are, from what I've heard, on the increase.

BCrams
05-20-2009, 01:42 PM
I saw a huge 5x5 white-tailed buck was in the field just past the Blue Lake turn off a few years ago.

Also 'lots' of white-tailed deer south of Quesnel along the Fraser to the old ferry crossing.

TPK
05-20-2009, 02:40 PM
Our crew has been seeing a lot more out East of Quesnel (Nyland/Labourdier?/Carter Lake areas). I saw a Whitetail doe with two mulie fawns, maybe they were orphaned and she picked them up or .... inter-breeding?

pointandshoot
05-20-2009, 03:11 PM
haven't seen any around sheridan but my uncles on green lake say there are mostly whitetails around there. might only be 50-70km distance in a straight line, looks like i'll be buying a whitetail tag this year

ultramagbob
05-20-2009, 03:27 PM
I saw a huge 5x5 white-tailed buck was in the field just past the Blue Lake turn off a few years ago.

Also 'lots' of white-tailed deer south of Quesnel along the Fraser to the old ferry crossing.

Him and 2 of his friends are dead.Always pays to have a whitey tag no matter where you are

f350ps
05-20-2009, 06:23 PM
I drove Hwy.24 from Little Fort to 100 Mile in late Dec. and saw about 20 deer between Bridge and Sheridan Lks. and they were all whiteys except for one Muley doe running with four Whiteys. K

mark
05-20-2009, 06:41 PM
Whities have been around there for a long time!
I saw my first whitey 22 years ago, on timithy mtn (east of lac la hache)
In the years after that I saw them once in a while, 7 in 1 year once, 2 were bucks, 1 was huge!!
I also saw them mixed with mulies in all combinations.
People didnt believe me, figured I didnt know what I was talking about as they were pretty rare!
Now they are pretty common from what I hear, buddy got a pretty heavy 4x4 last year!
Whack em and stack people, hate to see them crowd out the mulies!

P.S. theres also a few elk kicking around up there in places! turkeys on the breaks of the fraser too!