PDA

View Full Version : Delta to force closure of gun shop?

Gunner
05-19-2009, 07:05 PM
Check the Mainland hunting forum,and write Delta council.They have a proposal to ban the sale of firearms in Delta Municipality on their order book.This would force Brian at Stillwater Sports,and Bits of Peices gunsmithing out of business.If they succeed,you can expect this in your municipality next.Don't be rude but do write,Stillwater is the best waterfowling shop in the Lower Mainland,and Brian does NOT desrve this,he has always been a good corporate citizen. Thanks,Gunner

BearSniper
05-19-2009, 07:43 PM
They can try all they want.............

Legally, Delta council wouldn't have a leg to stand on.

Firearms are regulated and authorized by federal statute, and have been for centuries. Hunting is a part of our national heritage. A gun shop is a legal business.

This motion wouldn't survive a court challenge for 5 minutes.

You would have to close all liquor stores and car dealers next because that combination kills more Canadians each year than guns fifteen to one.

Wolfman
05-19-2009, 08:13 PM
Yet it still stinks that there are closet communists out there in council who would try to destroy a legit business....

fowl language
05-19-2009, 09:35 PM
thanks for the support gunner,i fear that with the present council could look at hunting next.i hope all the fine members of this forum will take the time to let the council know how much hunting and the sports shops that support it mean to you. as i believe that judging by the tremendous turn out on clean up day,a lot of fine folks would miss the hunting in delta.....dale

Gunner
05-20-2009, 04:29 PM
:biggrin: UPDATE!I have just spoken with Brian at Stillwater Sports in Ladner,and the proposed Delta Bylaw re: Gunshops does NOT apply to existing businesses.It deals with new businesses ONLY,and is in accordance with Bylaws already in place in most Lower Mainland Municipalities(Surrey,Langley,Abbottsford,etc.)The Bylaw would be new only to Delta and is no different than Surrey not allowing new gun shops,without consultation with the Police and Council. Gunner

f350ps
05-20-2009, 06:16 PM
I spoke with him also and I still don't like it. What I don't like is that once a shop closes for any reason there won't be another allowed to take it's place. Also doesn't do anything for the consumer as there is no competion. Now it makes sense why Italian bought Hunters doesn't it? I did get a reply from the mayors office today but it was just some fluff. K

Gunner
05-20-2009, 06:36 PM
Kelly the location is "grandfathered",Brian could sell the store and it could continue as a gunshop.The same with the old location of Hunter's,if Italian wants to they could open a gunshop in that store.New gunshops opening in any municipality have to go through a procedure for approval,as to location and so forth.From what I see this would bring Delta into line with the rest of them.Still it goes to show,support your local gunshop,"you don't know what you've got til it's gone"! Gunner

f350ps
05-20-2009, 06:49 PM
I know what it means, what i'm saying is say for some reason Italian says to hell with that location in Surrey and doesn't renew the lease. Two years later some other guy wants to open a shop in Sry. he's SOL. Eventually there will be no gun shops left. K

Gunner
05-20-2009, 07:20 PM
Yep,you're right there,you don't see many young guys opening gun stores in the LM anymore.Kind of a "sunset" industry I guess. Gunner

crazy ducker
05-20-2009, 07:31 PM
I am only kidding but it probaly was brian who put the motion in place. have control of the market like that he probaly heard someone was thinking of getting in on the business of shells he sells for duck and wants a piece of the action hehehe

Charlie
05-20-2009, 07:59 PM
I am only kidding but it probaly was brian who put the motion in place. have control of the market like that he probaly heard someone was thinking of getting in on the business of shells he sells for duck and wants a piece of the action hehehe

I like conspiracies as much as the next guy, however it was Mayor Jackson who introduced the motion and Cllr. Hawksworth who seconded it.

I do not like these types of bylaws. As stated by others it will eventually get rid of ALL gunshops. That's why the registry was introduced. To eventually get rid of ALL guns. It may take 100 years, but it will eventually happen.

I am sure Brian at Stillwater likes the motion because it assures no competition to his business, however, competition breeds lower prices, and better service. I think its a bad move personally, and I have done my part to oppose it.

Gunner
05-20-2009, 08:01 PM
Brian sells more 12ga. ammo than anybody west of Winnipeg!He buys bulk and usually has pretty good prices.I don't think he has room for anymore stuff in the store though,that place is maxxed out! Gunner

Charlie
05-20-2009, 08:04 PM
I personally like Stillwater and the service I get from Brian. His prices are in line and I can usually get him down a little more :razz:

I just don't like the fact that we as gun owners/hunters/shooters are a dying breed.

Gunner
05-20-2009, 08:51 PM
None of us like that Charlie,I spent 25 years in the tackle and gun business and saw a lot of changes over the years.The one encouraging thing I did see,was the number of young hunters in Ladner and also the increasing number of young waterfowlers throughout the Lower Mainland.Where I live now a lot of older guys like me hunt,but suprisingly I don't see a lot of SERIOUS young hunters.Lots of young guys goofin' around and then I think most of them move to the city for work.Me I moved to Ladner because I was spending most of my time in the marsh anyways!Cheers,Gunner

brotherjack
05-20-2009, 09:48 PM
Yet it still stinks that there are closet scumbag Nazi vermin out there in council who would try to destroy a legit business....

Fixed it for ya...

fowl language
05-21-2009, 06:01 AM
gunner, please read up dale in the mainland section....fowl

Steeleco
05-21-2009, 08:11 AM
What hypocrites!! It was just a few weeks back where these same bureaucrats donated some city workers time and city money to support a few good people cleaning up THEIR beaches. Now they want those same people to take their recreational money to another community. Guess was counselors, THEY WILL DO JUST THAT. Stupid, just plain stupid.

FLHTCUI
05-22-2009, 06:52 AM
Guy, guys , guys, they are not forcing Bryan at Stillwater out of business.
They are simply creating a bylaw to prohibit any future stores from opening in their little piece of utopia.
Obviously the tax base in this part of the lowermainland does not need any more stimulas.
Mayor Louis Jackson and her counterparts are waiting for Wally ...whats his name to have his buddies in Victoria pony up for that fancy new soccer pitch that the City and residents have yet to decide where to put it .
Rob

Gateholio
05-23-2009, 02:51 PM
Creating an anti gun store bylaw is a dangerous precedent for people that enjoy the sooting and hunting sports.

This really needs to get some attention by the shooting/hunting community. A hard push back is what is necessary.

fowl language
05-24-2009, 07:38 AM
clark, i have to agree with the anti gun store idea. as we dont have all the facts yet we arent sure how many gvrd districts have this law in place so we cant comment on this issue. one thing that i hope doesnt happen is a bunch of protestors dont come to the meeting on the 25 of may uninformed as members of the delta hunting committee fear that this might tip the delta council the wrong way.what i would like to see happen is speakers that are registered to talk take a prfessional approach do some research on gun safety and the heritage of hunting in the delta.not a bunch of uninfrmed bafoons yelling and so forth.look on the delta council web site and find the letter written by micheal wait,it is very well written and should be used as a corner stone for your letters and address to the council. we have had numerous council members and mayors includung lois at our delta ladner game banquets so i think if done professionally we can have a positive effect on this.andrew martin who has applied for the permit to open a gun store hasnt done his homework as of last thurs. meeting at the delta ladner gun club meeting and seemed to be unprepared for the 25th meeting of coucil and was looking for a free hand.as was explained to me bcwf is involved in hunting abd fishing issues not to help potential gun store owners to open stores that are considered free enterprize as is local gun clubs. this bylaw doesnt stop him from opening a store in say north delta or tsawwassen, council just feels we have enough supply in ladner..... by the way mr. martin plans on selling military style guns and hand guns as well as ammo and sporting rifles by the internet and by limited access only.i hope in the weeks to come we conduct ourselves professionally........fowl

05-24-2009, 08:48 AM
one thing that i hope doesnt happen is a bunch of protestors dont come to the meeting on the 25 of may uninformed as members of the delta hunting committee fear that this might tip the delta council the wrong way.

Are these "uniformed" opinions less valid then the "professional enlightened types" you want representing us? We truly are our own worst enemies at times.
We are a diversified group and everyones opinion is valid, because some of the responses aren't polished and "professional" doesn't make them less valid, or "uniformed buffoons" ......how many politicians vote on issues without knowing all the facts? (Rock and C-68 comes to mind) While your post is meant with the best of intentions l believe when we play the game the way they expect and pamper to the oppositions sense of right and rednecks, we set ourselves up to loose every time.
City councils works for the people, are elected by the people and are paid by the people......... if enough people oppose certainly policy changes, its their job to respond to those concerns.
What difference does it make what kind of firearms the fellow is planning on selling.....God knows we have enough laws on the books to govern every aspect of firearm storeage, sales, distribution, transporting, etc...your post almost sounds suggestive that there is something wrong with he is trying to get going. Our local gunshop sells full military arsenal, pistols and sells via the internet as.....what is wrong with that?

trapperRick
05-24-2009, 09:17 AM
What is the address of this shop?

Gateholio
05-24-2009, 11:26 AM
by the way mr. martin plans on selling military style guns and hand guns as well as ammo and sporting rifles by the internet and by limited access only.

I'm not sure what this means, but hope that hunters and shooters aren't falling into the trap of "this gun is good, but this gun is evil"

fowl language
05-25-2009, 07:36 AM
clark, i had no intention of having a bias to the type of gun anyone was selling ,just trying to supply as much info as possible.....fowl

Gateholio
05-25-2009, 07:59 AM
Good to hear. Hunters have alot more in common with the black gunners and handgunners than we do with the anti gun people. There is no good reason to alienate an ally.:wink:

fowl language
05-28-2009, 08:23 AM
we arent to sure how the vote will go at the next council meeting re. bylaw so know i hope we can get people to write to the council. there has been 18 letters already written to council aout this matter and the feeling is that given enough letters that it could sway 1 or 2 councillors.we feel the vote could be split and you all know that a politician will always vote for more votes for themselves. so lets sharpen up those pens and keyboards and help set a preside,this could effect other munipalities in the gvrd that havent had this bylaw come before them.thanks to all who have already written and thanks to all that are about to write....fowl

f350ps
05-28-2009, 02:58 PM
I was surprised by how many email replies I got from councillors, and yes, they can be swayed. Doesn't shock me to read Mymko's stand on it in the paper today, what better way to keep the competition out and boost the value of your store. Smart me thinks! K

crazy ducker
05-28-2009, 09:28 PM
of course brian would say that he's got a good thing there and doesn't won't any competition . he closes place for guns and stuff in reliable. the close for fishing is berry's bait

fowl language
05-30-2009, 08:13 AM
k, im sure we all would do the same given brians position.i am encouraged by the number of responses i have had from the councilors myself. hopefully we can encourage more letters to be written, as malley says the more the merrier but we would really like to have all the good people from delta to write as these are like 2 letters being writtenas this is the voting public and know is a good time following the recent upset of wally oppal,apparently they are listening.ive been out in the community after work trying to get people to write ,i hope it works.....fowl