PDA

View Full Version : Forest Help Needed

hotload
05-18-2009, 11:10 PM
After using the the nice weather and nice long weekend we had, I ventured into some really nice bush, BUT, it was fairly ribboned off by forestry, loggers, surveyors, don't know? I am sure other guys have run into this problem and don't know what it all means. Here is the question. I would like to do some sort of setup in the bush there but how can I find out what is going to happen with that particular bush. I sure would hate to go to all the work and find that it is going to be all mowed down at maybe some point prior to Hunting season. Only to find treestands and blinds all squashed. The best I can help here, is that one of the ribbons says BLOCK BOUNDARY, and one said TRUCK ROAD. Now it seems the Truck Road one would seem very ovbvious what it means, except that I found it really deep, deep in the bush. Any ideas what colors of ribbon mean if anything. I totally don't think this had anything to do with Pine beetle. Bush People Help Please.

Gateholio
05-18-2009, 11:14 PM
Talk to the Forest district office in your area, see what is scheduled.

hotload
05-19-2009, 12:14 AM
Tried to find the Forest District Office for the Kelowna area in the government part of the Phone Book and came up with nothing. Would there be something more specific I would have to look for? Would anybody know a # I could call? Any kind of help would sure be appreciated.

ufishifish2
05-19-2009, 12:18 AM
Gatehouse is correct, however a licensee such as Tolko will often have many cutblocks started and not have the GPS'd maps submitted to the Forest District office yet. Plans are forever changing, and with the current state of the industry, a cutblock layed out in the field one week may not be financially viable/desirable the next.
Don't waste your time in the area if the ribbon does not look extremely weathered. The block will likely be harvested within a couple years.
Block boundary ribbon is normally orange. They will normally be tied around the boles of trees with knots of each ribbon facing into the block centre so the loggers can see the ribbons well. Road ribbons are often red or pink in your area (Kelowna), but colors vary greatly throughout the province.
As far as finding the ribbons deep in the bush, that's where we have to go to get the descent timber sometimes. If the ribbons say "Road" on them, you can bet that is exactly what they are for. PM for more clarification if you want. Good luck.

ufishifish2
05-19-2009, 12:30 AM
Tried to find the Forest District Office for the Kelowna area in the government part of the Phone Book and came up with nothing. Would there be something more specific I would have to look for? Would anybody know a # I could call? Any kind of help would sure be appreciated.

Call the Vernon Ministry of Forests office. 558-1700
Pretty sure they look after the Kelowna area.
If not, it would be Penticton 490-2200, but I don't think so.

hunter1947
05-19-2009, 03:27 AM
I myself would not worry about it till it happens ,just hunt that area till they log it ,its getting to the point where they the logging outfits are taking down so much timber that I can't keep up with them ..

It might be 2 years before they take that area you are talking about ,there might be some good hunting in there so give her till they log it.

If you want to know who might help get a hold of the logging out fits around your town they might be able to point you in the right direction to find out.

Fisher-Dude
05-19-2009, 05:44 AM
If it has lodgepole pine trees, it will be logged, soon! The "block boundary" ribbons are a dead giveaway of what's scheduled. It depends where you were as to who's ribbons you found: could be Tolko, Gormans, or BC Timber Sales (govt). BCTS is at 250-558-1700 as mentioned above, Tolko Woodlands is in Lavington phonebook, Gormans is in Westbank (Kelowna phonebook).

Toad Hunter
05-19-2009, 09:25 AM
The licensee does not submit their blocks to the MOF once they are GPS'ed. The MOF first hears about the block once it is declared or check cruised. So, the question stands about whos area it is - generally there are areas that belong to WestFraser, BCTS, Tolko etc. There are exceptions. So, if you tell me you general co-ordinates then I can figure out who is the area. Going from there it may direct you to talk to the people - ie at BCTS or at Tolko. BCTS does not readily know when the block will be harvested - only when they plan to put it up for sale. Tolko (or whomever) may have a more definite plans. Plans do change... That I can guarantee you. If you like PM with the coordinates (I live in northern BC and do not hunt in Kelowna (or the okanagon for that matter). I have access to stuff that other people do not. Then, once you know whos it is you can talk to the people.

Steeleco
05-19-2009, 10:53 AM
See if you can find a site like this for your area. I tried but have run out of time.

http://www.for.gov.bc.ca/dck/Engineering/fsroadconditions.htm

moosinaround
05-19-2009, 11:05 AM
After using the the nice weather and nice long weekend we had, I ventured into some really nice bush, BUT, it was fairly ribboned off by forestry, loggers, surveyors, don't know? I am sure other guys have run into this problem and don't know what it all means. Here is the question. I would like to do some sort of setup in the bush there but how can I find out what is going to happen with that particular bush. I sure would hate to go to all the work and find that it is going to be all mowed down at maybe some point prior to Hunting season. Only to find treestands and blinds all squashed. The best I can help here, is that one of the ribbons says BLOCK BOUNDARY, and one said TRUCK ROAD. Now it seems the Truck Road one would seem very ovbvious what it means, except that I found it really deep, deep in the bush. Any ideas what colors of ribbon mean if anything. I totally don't think this had anything to do with Pine beetle. Bush People Help Please.
Take a walk up the ribbon line which reads "boundary". Try to find a metal tag on the tree. It will have a Licence number on it. Take this INFO on the tag NOT the tag to the forest service office and they will tell you what licencee it is, and a "relative" time line for the harvest of that area. If there are no metal tags on the trees, then it hasen't been GPSed, and it will be a little harder. Forest companies will have these areas on their development plan maps, and you can view this information by making an appointment and going in to the forest service office, or the forest companies office. Good luck, but I think there will soon be a cutblock where your trees presently are! Moosin

d6dan
05-19-2009, 02:38 PM
Try the blue pages in the back of your phone book.. Ministry of Forests. youll find all you need..

troutseeker
05-19-2009, 03:12 PM
The Vernon office does cover Kelowna.

boxhitch
05-19-2009, 04:47 PM
I sure would hate to go to all the work and find that it is going to be all mowed down at maybe some point prior to Hunting season. Only to find treestands and blinds all squashed.
If the road work hasn't started you should have a few months lead.
First step would be right-of-way clearing, and the hoe work. The block will be some time down the road. Put your stands near the road ribbons, it'll make for easy access for a while.