PDA

View Full Version : The Wife (tm) got a nice whitetail!

brotherjack
11-23-2005, 05:53 PM
I'll have to type the whole story later due to a cut I got while skinning (ouch!), but my wife tagged a nice long tined 4x4 point whitetail today. We been watching his scrapes for a couple days, and we could tell he was definitely gonna be big enough for us. Caught up with him today, and he won't make any record books, but he's definitely a shooter! Nice chunky hindquarters on him, mmmmmmmm good...

Anyhoo, pic's to come here in a bit, and once my finger heals up a little, I'll tell the whole story (touch-typing without the middle finger on my left hand is KILLING me here! I type 140-ish wpm normally, I'm making about 4 wpm like this..).

Brambles
11-23-2005, 06:05 PM
Toughen up a bit and write the story:wink: Half the guys on here probably can't even type 4 wpm, so your still ahead of the game!!!

If your using a cut to your finger as an excuse they you have to take pictures of the Massive wound for proof of disability.:D

Congrats to you and your wife on the whitey, sure wish there were pictures:tongue:

I should get back to cutting up my mulie, I'm taking a coffee break

Brambles

Ronforca
11-23-2005, 06:08 PM
Congrats. to your wife Brotherjack.It is sure nice to have a wife that enjoys the same
things as you do.Sorry that you cut your hand but now you are typing at my speed.

brotherjack
11-23-2005, 06:16 PM
Ok, ok, here's a pic!

http://xjack.org/hunting/wwt.jpg

Marc
11-23-2005, 06:27 PM
That is a nice deer tell her I said congrats! Also what is her nickname on the site?:wink:

Maybe she'd like to tell her own story since your fingy is sore.:biggrin:

Marc.

Thunderstix
11-23-2005, 06:39 PM
Oh man! That thing is beautiful!
You muct have meant 140 letter/min....no? I did not know men could do 140 wpm.:biggrin:

ruger#1
11-23-2005, 06:52 PM
very nice deer there bro ja. i love hunting blacktails and whitetails.

bsa30-06
11-23-2005, 07:29 PM
congrats to your wife brotherjack thats a nice lookin deer.

rrfred
11-23-2005, 09:21 PM
nice going mr and ms brojack:) my son and i each tagged similar sized ones just before the long w/e. cheers and enjoy rrfred

BCHunter
11-23-2005, 09:24 PM
nice deer...

rock
11-23-2005, 09:32 PM
Congrats to your wife brotherjack for a nice whitetail, by the way I'm a one finger typer I couldn't possibly imagine using two or more you wouldn't understand what I was saying.

Freshtracks
11-23-2005, 09:57 PM
Congrats to Mrs Bro Ja ... that's a great looking whitetail. As for the typing .. I've graduated from a 1 fingy to sort of a 2,3,4 stepper and manage pretty good, definately not 140 though ... but my son still laughs at me. :D

btw - how come you haven't got her on the site jack?

brotherjack
11-23-2005, 10:04 PM
btw - how come you haven't got her on the site jack?
Because getting here to boot up her computer more than once a month is kinda like trying to get the dog to stop chasing cats... ;)

mark
11-23-2005, 10:15 PM
way to go now im in @#$% ive been tryin to hook my girl up with a whitey for a while now and havin no luck. see sees this and gets all pissy, guess im not a very good whitey guide. (ya i know yer happy to hear this freshy)

Sikanni Stalker
11-23-2005, 10:57 PM
yup, I am a two finger typer too, and @30 wpm and about 15 wpm in backspacing......... I manage , lets here the story dood, and let the wife know too, great animal!!!!

Freshtracks
11-23-2005, 11:21 PM
way to go now im in @#$% ive been tryin to hook my girl up with a whitey for a while now and havin no luck. see sees this and gets all pissy, guess im not a very good whitey guide. (ya i know yer happy to hear this freshy)

:cry: .. and here I was thinking of borrowing a digital cam to show her I really ate it. I know a couple spots to send her to, only she'd probably have to drag that poor guide with her.:tongue:

Aaahh she's still one up on me this season with that great buck ... *drool starts again*

Islandeer
11-24-2005, 12:43 PM
Hey Brojack, nice whitey your missis took. We have been hunting the south country for 30 myrs or so,down near newgate. muleys over on Maguire cr. Familar with thesr spots? Took Acouple good whiteys from their this year. Heard of a booner that is running around Newgate way...next year!! :grin:

brotherjack
11-24-2005, 02:00 PM
About a week ago, I found a nice little area about 3km from home. Big buck sign everywhere; scrape lines, rub lines, tracks, etc. The Wife (tm) and I had managed to put in a few part-day's hunting for him, but just a few hours here and there as scheduling allowed. Wednesday however, we had all day to put into finding this guy.

Got going late (as usual, neither The Wife nor I are big morning people). On the way in, I saw blood splatter in the snow two different spots, which made me worry maybe someone else got the big guy we'd been chasing. When we arrived, I sprayed some horny doe pee in a couple of the scrapes near our ambush location. Then we kicked back with our feet up in our comfy reclining folding chairs. I was even more convinced that someone got our deer, because none of the scrapes had been checked within the last 24 hours.

Anyway, we decided to sit around for a while anyway. We hadn't been there 10 minutes, and along comes a monster doe. Saw her chest first, and was just sure because of the size that antlers were about to appear. Nope, no antlers on her. An hour or so later, we saw a little 3 point, which was interesting, but not the guy we were after.

About the time 1:00 was rolling around, we hadn't seen anything else, and sitting perfectly still in freezing temperatures will eventually get to you. So we got up and walked around for about an hour. No fresh tracks from our big buck, and not a lot of fresh deer sign in general. So we decided to head for another area where we'd seen some nice mature buck sign.

We're driving out down a little quad track, when we spied the same little 3 point from earlier crossing the trail ahead of us; completely and totally unconcerned about a Chevy Tracker driving through the middle of the forrest 20 yards away from him. I was just opening my mouth to say to my wife that she should keep a sharp eye out, as there may be more bucks around if there's a horny doe in the vicinity, when my wife said in a tense voice "stop the truck, stop the truck, right now!".

I did, and she bailed out, loaded up, and stepped around the backside of the truck and off the trail and took aim. I still hadn't spied what she was shooting at when the first BOOM shook the forest. At the shot, the buck stepped out from behind some brush and started walking broadside to us at about 75 yards. He didn't look hurt, and I silently prayed my wife was paying enough attention to put another bullet in him before we spent a lot of hours trailing blood droplets. She was, and I could no sooner finish the thought, and the second BOOM echoed through the forrest, and the buck went down in his tracks as if struck by lightning.

I stepped out of the truck, and let out a loud whoop! That's how ya do that, now, I tell you! As I yelled, the (presumably) hot doe lept up from her bed about 5 yards from the buck and bolted back into the forrest. We walked over to inspect the prize, and were very pleased with what we found.

My wife was on the phone calling some friends of ours who wanted to see us gut/skin one for their own edification (they're taking up hunting next year), when I looked over and there's that 3 point buck from earlier not 40 yards away from us staring longingly into the bush like a lovestruck puppy. I grabbed the camera and tried to sneak over to get some pictures of him from up close and personal, when I saw yet another buck in the 3-ish point range back in the bush staring in the same direction as the young buck. I got a little close before I got a picture, and they both bolted. I heard more deer back out of sight bolt with them. No wonder there wasn't much action down in the valley; probably every buck in the immediate vicinity was up here chasing this doe.

My wife's deer was a scrapper for sure. He has a broken tip on one of the main beams, and a whole bunch of chips and nicks on his antlers from fighting. Anyway, it was all over but the hard work at that point.

And that, is the story of my wife's 2005 whitetail buck (possibly the first of 2, if she decides to hunt the late bow season; though at this point, she's not planning to).

brotherjack
11-24-2005, 02:02 PM
Oh man! That thing is beautiful!
You muct have meant 140 letter/min....no? I did not know men could do 140 wpm.:biggrin:

No really, I type that fast. Sounds like a hard rain when my fingers pound the keys. I spent the last 10-ish years of my life as a UNIX Systems Engineer/Systems Programmer - which basically amounts to typing 10-14 hours a day. 10 years of that will make anyone a speed-typist. ;)

elkster
11-24-2005, 03:23 PM
Hey Bro Jack,
COngrats to Missus Bro, a dandy deer for sure. I don't type 140 wpm but can get over the 100 mark. Same as you, to many years in front of of key boards. Good story.:smile:

Tarp Man
11-24-2005, 06:15 PM
Congratulations, to her and you. That was a great story. It always helps having pictures to go with the stories.
-Tarp Man