PDA

View Full Version : Any loggers / forresters out there wearing caulks?

Spokerider
05-18-2009, 08:43 AM
Wondering........who makes the best caulk boots? It's time for a pair. Considering rubber lowers with leather uppers, or, all leather.

I already have some all-rubber caulks that are mighty uncomfortable.

rand
05-18-2009, 09:01 AM
I've worn them all, and like the half and half about $230 at ONO'S they last longer then the hole leather. If your in a lot of rain the wet dry wet dry it takes it toll on the boot.Had the Viberg custom boot and only got a year out of them and for $540 bucks I will just stay with the Half and Halfs. Keep in mind the full leather will give you more suport.The big orange boot make my feet sweat to much and are very heavy.Try the bama sock in your boots and you will never have sweaty feet again.

MIL720
05-18-2009, 09:08 AM
Bama socks ARE the best...

Summit 512
05-18-2009, 09:31 AM
Where do you buy the Bama socks at....thanks in advance

rand
05-18-2009, 10:03 AM
Only place I've ever seen bamas is at ONO Tradeing

Toad Hunter
05-18-2009, 11:12 AM
Go with Viberg's - I have gone through 1 half and halfs and 2 sets of full leather caulks (45SC's) and 2 sets of full leather no caulks (hunter model).

They rock - dry them slow and treat them frequently.

Kirby
05-18-2009, 02:34 PM
I would hesitantly suggest Vibergs.

I used Viberg boots for years, had half and halfs, and full leather caulks, I loved the boots and found they were the only maker who's boots I wouldn't destroy in a couple of months. However the last 2 pairs of full leathers lasted me a total of 3 years, use to be 3 or 4 years to a set at least.

My Half and Halfs are 6 or 7 years old and still work great, can't complain about them, but the full leathers seem to have gone downhill.

Kirby

deer nut
05-18-2009, 02:39 PM
I have a pair of Viberg leather caulks (size 11) that I wouldn't mind selling (I am a desk jockey now). Viberg are good, but expensive (>$400 new). PM me if interested.

silentstalker
05-18-2009, 06:39 PM
I've worn all the ones mentioned above. Call me crazy but my favorites ended up being "orange ovens" a half size to big so I could wear Bamas. They seemed to last, fit my feet well enough and didn't break the bank.

Spokerider
05-18-2009, 10:18 PM
I have a pair of insulated Viberg hunting boots with the heavy buffalo leather. They are a sturdy boot, but quite heavy. Plus, even with them being fitted for my 4E feet, I have not been able to break them in despite numerous hikes with them.......heel blisters......grrrrrrr. Oh ya, they were $550 with the tax.

I don't really want to try the viberg route again......

I see Hoffman boots in the US sells rubber bottoms leather uppers........any good? I like the looks of their "predator" caulk half and halfs. http://www.hoffmanboots.com/ProductInfo.aspx?productid=13AB

They also have Meindl caulk boots http://www.hoffmanboots.com/ProductInfo.aspx?productid=MEINC

I need them for chasing hounds about as fast as I can motor through slash, swamps snow and ice, so weight is a factor.

Wildman
05-19-2009, 08:34 AM
I would hesitantly suggest Vibergs.

I used Viberg boots for years, had half and halfs, and full leather caulks, I loved the boots and found they were the only maker who's boots I wouldn't destroy in a couple of months. However the last 2 pairs of full leathers lasted me a total of 3 years, use to be 3 or 4 years to a set at least.

My Half and Halfs are 6 or 7 years old and still work great, can't complain about them, but the full leathers seem to have gone downhill.

Kirby

I agree...Vibergs are not what they used to be. AND their customer service is poor, very poor at best. Mine also have been falling apart every 6 months...til I stopped buying them. They used to last 3 year. They aren't even made in Canada any longer. EVEN Half/Halfs...
I buy Hoffman Boots now (yes, made in the states but...customer service is excellent and so are their boots. www.hoffmanboots.com

Kirby
05-19-2009, 12:08 PM
Wildman, interesting I hadn't heard they had stopped making them in BC. I've gotten away from needing steel toes etc so bought La Sportiva this year.

Kirby

Conrad74
05-19-2009, 08:05 PM
Hey Wildman- just interested in what model you have from Hoffmans as I am interested in something different ( probably on my 6th pair of viberg half & halfs ) .

Spokerider
05-20-2009, 09:17 AM
I agree...Vibergs are not what they used to be. AND their customer service is poor, very poor at best. Mine also have been falling apart every 6 months...til I stopped buying them. They used to last 3 year. They aren't even made in Canada any longer. EVEN Half/Halfs...
I buy Hoffman Boots now (yes, made in the states but...customer service is excellent and so are their boots. www.hoffmanboots.com (http://www.hoffmanboots.com)

Hummmm. The boots are hand-made, right in the store in Victoria, no??

Conrad74
05-20-2009, 06:51 PM
Hummmm. The boots are hand-made, right in the store in Victoria, no??

My last pair are stamped made in Malaysia

Wildman
05-21-2009, 02:35 PM
My last pair are stamped made in Malaysia

exactly and when my last pair wen...less than 4 months after the pair before...i was told that it isnt their problem and that they didnt make them any more...they had to replace them due some text on their web site - cant remember exactly what it said but somewhere along the lines of guaranteed...because I printed the page off the internet with that statement and sent it to them demanding they satisfy me...that line is now gone.

Wildman
05-21-2009, 02:36 PM
Hey Wildman- just interested in what model you have from Hoffmans as I am interested in something different ( probably on my 6th pair of viberg half & halfs ) .

give me a few......

Wildman
05-21-2009, 02:43 PM
http://www.hoffmanboots.com/ProductInfo.aspx?productid=12C

This is the one I am wearing now...awesomely warm! The Thinsulate Logger Calk. (http://www.hoffmanboots.com/ProductInfo.aspx?productid=12C)

I am going to purchase a all leather pair. One of my coworkers has a pair and they are equally as good. He used to buy Viberg leathers...Viberg costs more and are not as well made.

trust me...this is the only made in USA item I would ever tell anyone to buy. I strictly attempt to buy BC first, then Canadian before American.

I will probably buy the same boot...without caulks this year for hunting.

Spokerider
05-21-2009, 08:32 PM
http://www.hoffmanboots.com/ProductInfo.aspx?productid=12C

This is the one I am wearing now...awesomely warm! The Thinsulate Logger Calk. (http://www.hoffmanboots.com/ProductInfo.aspx?productid=12C)

I am going to purchase a all leather pair. One of my coworkers has a pair and they are equally as good. He used to buy Viberg leathers...Viberg costs more and are not as well made.

trust me...this is the only made in USA item I would ever tell anyone to buy. I strictly attempt to buy BC first, then Canadian before American.

I will probably buy the same boot...without caulks this year for hunting.

I've been looking at those exact half and halfs. Did you have to "go one size larger" than your normal boot size as they suggest on the web site for fitting?
Do you find them comfortable, easy to break in / no hot spots?

BlacktailStalker
05-21-2009, 10:43 PM
Spoke, maybe have a favorite pair resoled and caulked ? I know a few fallers do that with newer boots here.