PDA

View Full Version : Ever get the feeling................

6 K
05-16-2009, 10:05 PM
Ever get the feeling you should got into a certain place and look around for a certain animal? Then when you do you get what you were thinking about. It happens to me every once in awhile.

Well, I thought I would share the last instance. My son has wanted to go out for a real quad ride, not just roaring around in the back yard, for a while. The feeling I should check out a FSR I spied on my way to a fishing hole a while back has been almost over whelming. The evenings of late had been sunny and warm. A bear, a nice black bear hunt with my son. The image in my mind played over and over until I finally gave in and bought a tag. Letting my wife in on the plan I packed some snacks and drinks (very important to a six year old) and loaded the quad. Soon we were waving good bye and on our way. Fifteen minutes later we saw our first bear meandering across the road. I spotted him again about ten feet in as we pulled up to the place he entered the bush. I had to explain that he was on private property and we were not allowed to shoot that bear there.
“You mean this is some one’s yard dad? Wow, can we buy a yard this big dad? I would really like a yard this big.”
“Ya, me too son, me too.”
We carried on our way for another dozen or so km before I found the turn off I had remembered. A couple of more clicks and it was time to off load the bike. It wasn’t very long till we putted our to a vantage over our first clear cut. A quick bit of glassing and a monster was revealed, a cookie monster that is.
“When can we have a snack dad?”
“Anytime I suppose, just remember when they are all gone there isn’t any more”
“How about just one cookie and a drink?”
“Sure, but we are hunting so be vedy vedy quiet O.K.”
“Dad, you are so silly”
What can I say the kid cracks me up? Anyhow, as we are sitting enjoying our ONE cookie when a crew cab with five guys in it comes bouncing down the road on their way out. Not sure if they saw us or not but they did determine which fork I would take next.
Dryden and I got back on the bike and took the road less traveled to the end. Only about four or five km. but plenty far enough that another cookie and an apple were in order to watch the next setting. Nothing of interest, other than a spectacular view of the Mighty Skeena River and surrounding snow laden mountain peaks. So we back tracked and turned up to where the truck had come from after all. Put puting along in second gear the kms don’t go bye very quick, but my son was really enjoying the ride and I was as well. The sun was warm on our backs, we were seeing new territory, (if not animals), and I still had that real positive feeling we were going to shot a bear. We rolled along from one cut block to another laughing and giggling, talking and planning what to do with our up coming summer and fall, when we entered a particularly young block.
“Hey son this could be very good” and I began to answer the multitude of questions that started with the classic “why?” and ended with me saying that age old phrase “be vedy vedy quiet”
A little further he says to me “there’s the five sign” I had already explained to him the real purpose of those signs and that there are some very confused people out there who think that they are targets. (Course those same confused individuals think they are hunting too, but that is another story). A short while later as we turned a rising corner over looking a large berry patch the distinct form of a bear became apparent. He wasn’t too far out into the clearing. Meaning that Dryden would be able to get to him and more importantly back with out much help from me.
“What do you think, he’s not very big, but there aren’t any cubs. Should I shoot it Dryden?”
“Ya dad, shoot him” his ears were already covered.
One shot and one step and it was all over but the work. Time check eight p.m. A quick call on the cell to let mom know we would be late. ( I could see the repeater on a distant mountain top so I thought I’d try it What do you know the thing worked for a change). We worked our way down to him and took a few picks. I decided to pack the bear out whole and as I tied the bear on to the quad and prepared to drive out what to my wandering eye did appear in the distance but the 6k sign. Coincidence? Maybe, but kind of neat anyhow. Dryden’s first big game experience was no monster but I wouldn’t trade it for anything. Weather was great, quick clean kill, pack was just enough to break into a good sweat, and we were even at home by ten. On the way out Dryden says to me “Will we come back to this road dad, it is my favourite.
“You had a good time then?”
“The best day ever dad! But dad, I saw him first. You interrupted me buy saying there is a bear.”
“Oh is that so.”
Did I mention the kid cracks me up?
I skinned the boar out before I went to bed. He measured sixty inches right on the line.
I saved the best part for last. As I crawled into bed that night the wife says to me “You know I didn’t like being left behind. But I know three of us can’t fit on one quad…………………… I guess we will have to look for another one hu?
Sometimes you just have to listen to your feelings eh guys and gals.

Hey, all you Taxidermists out there, anyone interested in buying a five foot hide in great shape please P.M. me.(or any one else for that mater) My son said he would like to sell it and give the money to a group from our church who are going to a third world country to help out. The hide has been skined for live mount and is now in salt.
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/d_sbear2.jpg

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/501/d_s_bear_1.jpg

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/501/d_sbear_3.jpg

No Tag Soup Please
05-16-2009, 10:14 PM
Great story and nice bear. Your kid sound's pretty funny haha.

boxhitch
05-16-2009, 10:36 PM
I had a story about 'that feeling'........until I read yours. Mine pales by comparison.
Good stuff there.

6 K
05-16-2009, 10:41 PM
Oops, that last set of brackets should be after the word Taxidermists, when I try to edit it the computer/site freezes.

6 K
05-16-2009, 10:42 PM
Oops, that last set of brackets should come after the word Taxidermists. When I try to edit it the computer/ site freezes.

BCbillies
05-17-2009, 01:02 AM
Great hunt! I almost had the feeling I was there. ;) Time out with family and friends in God's creation is what it's all about.

TSW
05-17-2009, 01:19 AM
Congrats on a successful hunt with your son! I'm looking forward to those days!

bad arrow
05-17-2009, 06:01 AM
A wonderful story, thanks for the pics 6k.

kennyj
05-17-2009, 06:08 AM
Great story and photos.I really enjoyed it.I'll often get That feeling as well about a certain area.Sometimes it pays off.
kenny

gerrygoat
05-17-2009, 12:45 PM
Enjoyed your story too 6K. It was a good experience for Dyden to be in on a real hunting trip, in a few years time he can shoot his own bear, he is a funny little guy :)

CabinFever
05-17-2009, 06:09 PM
That was a great read and nice pictures too. Congrats!

cndnmike
05-17-2009, 08:53 PM
Great story for us and even a better memory for you there 6k... my kids are 5 and 4 (both daughters) and I truly hope to have stories like this myself in the near future...
Stories like yours are the reason I have become a junkie of this forum!!!!!

Fisher-Dude
05-17-2009, 08:58 PM
Great story! Reminds me of when my dad tried to keep me hushed while hunting at Dryden's age. Congrats to you and the young fella!

Ambush
05-17-2009, 09:04 PM
That brings back memories. Kids can sure make your day.http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon7.gif But in those days I had a 1964 Scout, and only dared dream of owning one of those go-anywhere three wheelers.

Camp Cook
05-17-2009, 09:16 PM
Congrates and a fun story...

Just about shot a bear with my 2 year old son Friday night figured it was getting to late in the evening to deal with a downed bear and a sleepy little guy so let them walk off we got to within 100 yards of them before they heard him...

first thing he said to his mom when we got home was "2 bears"...

6 K
05-20-2009, 09:09 PM
first thing he said to his mom when we got home was "2 bears"...

This is the very best part of hunting! No day in my hunting carrier has ever been better than the time spent hunting with my son. Of course Hunting with my dad grand parents and Uncle are way up there too.

hunter1947
05-21-2009, 04:56 AM
This happens to me a lot of times and it has paid off for me ,thats why I hunted by myself for many years.

When your by yourself you want to go right left or whatever you decide it on your own ,You don't have to talk about what way you should go if you had a hunting partner with you.