PDA

View Full Version : Coyote Hunting

huntwriter
11-23-2005, 01:31 PM
I see that in the B.C. Hunting Regulations many Regions offer an open season for Coyotes with no bag limits. I love "yote" hunting it is great fun and good shooting training. Yet, as hard as I have looked on the web or spoke to hunters around here there is not a lot of information or even interest it seems.

Is anybody hunting coyotes here? If yes then:

What tactics to you use, i.e calling or spot and stalk?

Where are the best palces to hunt coyotes in B.C.?

What weapons do you use?

todbartell
11-23-2005, 01:59 PM
I call using mouth calls, and hope to start hunting stands over bait

farmland areas are real good spots

I shoot a 223 Rem loaded with 50 gr. SXSP's, but also use a 25-284 with 75 gr. Vmax, 260 Rem w/ 95 gr. Vmax, and 30-06 with 110 gr. Vmax :D

I'll start going out this December for them

huntwriter
11-23-2005, 02:22 PM
I call using mouth calls, and hope to start hunting stands over bait

farmland areas are real good spots

I shoot a 223 Rem loaded with 50 gr. SXSP's, but also use a 25-284 with 75 gr. Vmax, 260 Rem w/ 95 gr. Vmax, and 30-06 with 110 gr. Vmax :D

I'll start going out this December for them

I use mouth calls to, never was keen on lugging a heavy batterie operated call around. When I lived in Illinois we use to go all year round as they have oppen season for coyotes 12 month and no bag limits.

Now I try to get back into coyote hunting here in B.C.

Gateholio
11-23-2005, 02:33 PM
I've always shot coyotes as a target of opportunity...

I have a few calls, but I was going to get one of those heavy electronic callers!:lol:

I'd like to wage a little war on predators around here, there are really too many..

And I have a Bull Pac. I can carry the electric thingy...But they are so damn exensive!:eek:

lapadat
11-23-2005, 06:37 PM
I use mouth-blown calls (can't afford an e-caller). I have tried Primos, Olt and Sceery and have found the Sceery line to be the most effective. I have shot a few coyotes in the fraser valley, however, I have some rancher friends in Lethbridge and Cochrane, AB that are infested with coyotes. Two saturday's ago I called in 6 and shot 4 (ran out of ammo) at 3 locations all within 1 1/2 hours.

I shoot a Rem 700 VS 223 (which is for sale in the classifieds unfortunately). I'm shooting 45 or 50 grain JHP's. Dissolved innards with no exit holes....unless you are under 75 yards or so.

lapadat

I think I may try the Kamloops/Merrit area in the future. Coyote hunting provides a great way to scout new countryside for future deer hunting.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/thumbs/Picture_219.jpg (http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=1451&cat=500&ppuser=847)

Red Foreman
11-23-2005, 07:39 PM
Target of opportunity for me.If I see them on my way to a hunt or at the end of a hunt,I'll shoot them.3 so far this year 2 with the .300 savage and one with the 30-06.I saw 10 on one deer hunt in 3-13 a couple of weeks ago.

huntwriter
11-23-2005, 09:08 PM
I use mouth-blown calls (can't afford an e-caller). I have tried Primos, Olt and Sceery and have found the Sceery line to be the most effective. I have shot a few coyotes in the fraser valley, however, I have some rancher friends in Lethbridge and Cochrane, AB that are infested with coyotes. Two saturday's ago I called in 6 and shot 4 (ran out of ammo) at 3 locations all within 1 1/2 hours.

I shoot a Rem 700 VS 223 (which is for sale in the classifieds unfortunately). I'm shooting 45 or 50 grain JHP's. Dissolved innards with no exit holes....unless you are under 75 yards or so.

lapadat

I think I may try the Kamloops/Merrit area in the future. Coyote hunting provides a great way to scout new countryside for future deer hunting.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/thumbs/Picture_219.jpg (http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=1451&cat=500&ppuser=847)
You got that right, coyote hunting is not only great fun and target practice but as you said good for looking at new land too. When I lived in America it also was a door opener to private land as a thank you to rid a farm of coyotes.

Nice pictures by the way.

butcher
11-24-2005, 09:50 AM
Heavy electronic calls are a thing of the past! I have a FOXPRO fp-38 that is the size of a flashlight. It has 8 sounds and is very loud. The thing brings in dogs like a mo-fo. My hunting parnter bought the next step up which has 16 sounds and a remote control good out to 100 yards. You can call in anything with that caller.

Thunderstix
11-24-2005, 09:55 AM
And I have a Bull Pac. I can carry the electric thingy...But they are so damn exensive!:eek:

Has your back allowed you to pack quarters with your new pack yet?

BCHunter
11-24-2005, 09:58 AM
butcher whats the cost for something like that?

thanks

Maxx
11-24-2005, 10:02 AM
Butcher- Where did you buy that Foxpro, I am interested.

butcher
11-24-2005, 10:38 AM
Hey guys, I bought the FOXPRO through a buddy. Mine cost $240 shipped. My friend's with the remote cost over $500. I can find out the email addy of the Canadian seller if you are really interested. I'll post some pics of mine later today.

Gateholio
11-24-2005, 11:18 AM
Has your back allowed you to pack quarters with your new pack yet?

Oh yeah...The back flares up every couple of years, but it is only for amonth or 2.

Hopefully I'll avoid doing it in for a few more years...;-)

Bull Pac is awesome, although it IS a heavy frame pack, it carries everything with no problems.:smile:

ryanb
11-24-2005, 11:27 AM
How about the Johnny Stewart preymaster caller? It has an extension cord (not ideal) but is only 210 bucks from wholesale.

Barracuda
11-24-2005, 12:09 PM
I made a predator call :lol: (I am a cheap *******) I got myself a cassete player from recycling for 25 cents, picked a 25 foot roll of speaker wire from the dollar store for a buck and i had an old loudspeaker from Radio Shack (bout $12) I simply wired the . I works great:D .
I picked up a cd /cassete player from the recyling for 25 cents and and with the exception of cosmetic damage it works great so i am now going to wire one up with a cd and tape player (it has a radio but i could find a channel that plays the death cry of a rabbit:eek: )
I priced callers out and as i allready had a bunch of tapes from when i lived in the states this was the cheapest route for a good sounding and loud caller .
now all i have to do is pick up some CD,s with calls on them .

Gateholio
11-24-2005, 12:56 PM
I made a predator call :lol: (I am a cheap *******) I got myself a cassete player from recycling for 25 cents, picked a 25 foot roll of speaker wire from the dollar store for a buck and i had an old loudspeaker from Radio Shack (bout $12) I simply wired the . I works great:D .
I picked up a cd /cassete player from the recyling for 25 cents and and with the exception of cosmetic damage it works great so i am now going to wire one up with a cd and tape player (it has a radio but i could find a channel that plays the death cry of a rabbi
I priced callers out and as i allready had a bunch of tapes from when i lived in the states this was the cheapest route for a good sounding and loud caller .
now all i have to do is pick up some CD,s with calls on them .

\Quite the tinkerer!!:mrgreen:

I noticed that Johnny Stewart offers a package that you can just add a portable Cd player ot it to make it work.

Since I often have acess to discount or free electronics, it may be an idea to ceck it out!:mrgreen:

BigfishCanada
11-24-2005, 01:41 PM
Guys, I made one on my computer by using this guys info and sounds, then i burnt them to CD http://www.varmintal.com/coy5-20.htm drove my truck up the hill and blasted the sounds. Yotes started poking there noses out of the bushs.

http://www.varmintal.com/coy5-20.htm