PDA

View Full Version : thinking about a new daypack

martyonthewater
05-15-2009, 09:47 PM
I am looking at buying the gerber Quadrant backpack, does anyone have any pros or cons to offer regarding this pack? I like the fanny pack kind of design and the camel pack idea seems pretty handy as well. Any input would be appreciated. Cheers-Marty

martyonthewater
05-18-2009, 06:51 PM
Ok so no help with that one, how about the gerber canyon backpack,any input, -anyone?

Ambush
05-18-2009, 08:35 PM
Are you stuck on Gerber or looking for options?

martyonthewater
05-18-2009, 08:45 PM
there is a fairly affordable listing on craigslist and there all gerber so that's been the focus. I am however open to suggestions

Ambush
05-18-2009, 09:50 PM
I guess the best place to start is: how much you can justify spending on a day pack? I've had a bunch and few have been satisfactory. If they are light then they don't have the backbone to pack a load. If they are small you run out of room. If they're cheap they fall apart. Some of them, you feel every hard or odd shaped item poking you in the back.

My all time favourite day pack is a Badlands 2200. Its heavy at six pounds, but if need be you can easily carry sixty pounds of meat in it and the gear you started with. It packs my Lone Wolf tree stand without gouging my back. I probably carry more gear than most do for a day hunt so it may be over-kill for you.
I think it really depends on how much stuff you find essential to have. I've hunted with guys that take only a tiny fanny pack for a whole day of hunting. On most any hunt I carry food, water, knives, saw, rope, video and digital camera, tripod, spotting scope, first aid supplies and more. I never could fit it into a fanny pack that wore well.

But it still depends on how much you are willing to spend.

martyonthewater
05-18-2009, 10:09 PM
I like the badlands 2200 as well , it really is just a matter of money, the lifetime warranty of the 2200 is certainly an attention getter and it speaks to how well constructed they are. the capacity is also pretty good . While it has a little less carrying capacity for $75 the gerber is hard to ignore . I just wonder as to the quality of construction and if anyone on the site had any experience with them. thanks a lot for the feedback though.

Ambush
05-18-2009, 10:12 PM
I've never seen, held or heard of a Gerber pack. Sorry.

Bow Walker
05-19-2009, 10:06 AM
I just recently got a Badlands day pack called the Diablo. I've had it out a few times and it has worked well for me. Fits good with no pressure points and holds a ton of stuff.

Grouse River has a good selection - and they're a sponsor here to boot. They're also good people to deal with.

http://www.grouseriver.com/Badlands_Ultra_Day_p/hun-000837.htm

http://www.grouseriver.com/Badlands_Superday_Pack_p/hun-000091.htm

Just a suggestion.

martyonthewater
05-20-2009, 09:21 PM
thanks for the link BW, I'm going to take the week to think about it then I'm gonna buy something, thanks again for the input guys

JeffR
05-20-2009, 09:33 PM
I bought a Camelbak motherlode last year and I am really happy with it. Great pack.

kennyj
05-21-2009, 05:30 AM
I also bought a Badlands 2200 last year and love it.
kenny

Spokerider
05-21-2009, 09:11 AM
"Deuter" from MEC. It has the webbing that keeps the pack from touching the small of your back, so the sweat can evaporate and your top doesn't get soaked. Holds necessary day gear well. It wont carry a rifle however.......

'bout 100 bucks.

todbartell
05-21-2009, 12:28 PM
Badlands Diablo is a great daypack, but not if you have to haul out alot of stuff. Their 2200 would be better, like Ambush mentioned.

Eberlestock makes great packs too, check them out if you can