PDA

View Full Version : Syringa Sheep

gwillim
05-15-2009, 09:15 PM
Was reading some of the proposed reg changes for Region 4 the other day, and was a little surprised to see an LEH for California bighorn sheep along lower Arrow lake. The sheep herd there is a regular fixture along the road past Syringa park, and on up to Deer Park community. This herd doesn't seem that big yet (not sure when they were introduced), and the rams tend to stand around like cows beside the road. You could probably bag the first couple using lethal injections (before they wise up).

Snapped this photo out the truck window on my way home from work last week...

http://photos-e.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-snc1/v2930/74/8/566018597/n566018597_1931828_8230038.jpg (http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=1931829&id=566018597)

mark
05-15-2009, 10:18 PM
and the rams tend to stand around like cows beside the road. You could probably bag the first couple using lethal injections (before they wise up).

You could say the same about the spences bridge herd in the winter, and they are GOS!

boxhitch
05-16-2009, 06:37 AM
The potential for that herd is good, but the habitat work has to continue, inside and outside the park. The burgeoning elk numbers may create feed competition.
The transplant occurred with the idea of populating a good site, and to create a hunting oppportunity. Glad to see it all come together.

Fisher-Dude
05-16-2009, 07:33 AM
So it makes sense to kill some elk on a 6 point GOS to help the sheep too. Or does the OP say NIMBY to that too? ;)

SavageShooter
05-16-2009, 07:38 AM
Moderators, please close this thread and remove it from memory, especially the picture. Until at least after LEH's are drawn!;)

SS

05-16-2009, 10:01 AM
I believe these are Rocky Mountain Bighorns, not Californis Bighorns.

BCrams
05-16-2009, 10:10 AM
Definatly rockies. Took a picture of a pig ram within Deer Park a few years back.

05-16-2009, 10:15 AM
I believe these are Rocky Mountain Bighorns, not Californis Bighorns.

If I recall correctly the original transplant source was from Columbia Lake at Canal Flats, circa 1984 or '85.

05-16-2009, 10:27 AM
If I recall correctly the original transplant source was from Columbia Lake at Canal Flats, circa 1984 or '85.

Just looked it up: The original transplant was done in 1957 from the East Kootenay, unspecified location, 18 sheep. A follow-up transplant of 20 animals was done in 1985, source herd was Columbia Lake, release location was Tulip Creek. (From Demarchi 2000 - Status of Bighorn Sheep)

Chuck
05-16-2009, 10:37 AM
The potential for that herd is good, but the habitat work has to continue, inside and outside the park. The burgeoning elk numbers may create feed competition.
The transplant occurred with the idea of populating a good site, and to create a hunting oppportunity. Glad to see it all come together.

I could be wrong again, but I thought that the transplant wasn't so much for a hunting opportunity in the future, rather than a spot to hold a breeding herd in the event that a lethal disease should strike the original population. There was some serious concern about them being wiped out sometime in the past. It seems that is no longer the case.

Chuck
05-16-2009, 10:43 AM
Oh ya......although there are signs warning people to slow down, I've seen two splatted by vehicles. One ram in the ditch mysteriously disappeared when I passed by the same spot 1/2 hour later, and there was no traffic ???

gwillim
05-16-2009, 11:01 AM
Definatly rockies. Took a picture of a pig ram within Deer Park a few years back.

Sorry for the misinformation. I was calling them California bighorns based on some BC Parks info (and the fact that the Rams seem to spend half their time buggering each other).

If the original herd was put there back in the late 50's, they aren't exactly booming! Every year I see quite a few yearlings, but the herd hasn't seemed to have expanded over the years. There is a lot of other ungulates using the low elevation range through the winter, so maybe grazing competition is part of the reason. I suspect with all those elk and deer hanging around, that there would be a few cougars lurking as well. One winter we saw one of the ewes with a big gash torn in her throat ( a very narrow escape from something).

Gateholio
05-16-2009, 11:46 AM
Sounds like a great LEH to get....New, too!:p

boxhitch
05-16-2009, 04:55 PM
I could be wrong again, but I thought that the transplant wasn't so much for a hunting opportunity in the future, rather than a spot to hold a breeding herd in the event that a lethal disease should strike the original population. There was some serious concern about them being wiped out sometime in the past. It seems that is no longer the case.Many reasons can be cited. They all hold water.
Pocket populations are great for spreading and mixing genetics as well as protecting brood stock. The application of Hunting to the formula only helps to raise the profile and importance of the work.
As always, Hunters are the best Conservationists.

boxhitch
05-16-2009, 05:04 PM
So it makes sense to kill some elk on a 6 point GOS to help the sheep too. Or does the OP say NIMBY to that too? ;)Zzzziinnggg!! :!::razz:
Any additional hunting pressure and traffic in that area would benefit the dispersal of the sheep. It would have been good to see the Elk thinned for a couple of years before the Sheep were opened. The effort by one or two sheep LEH holders will do nothing, but take the cream rams in an easy kill.

The current habitat work in the park is only providing more and better winter range, aiding in the concentration of animals. Is that the best management ? one might ask.

kennyj
07-24-2009, 06:03 PM
So how big are the biggest rams in the Syringa area?
kenny

d6dan
07-24-2009, 07:01 PM
You could say the same about the spences bridge herd in the winter, and they are GOS!

If you wait long enough along the road, you can get'em with your pickup...