PDA

View Full Version : Squamish, Chilliwack, Harrison, Skagit bucks?

MichelD
11-23-2005, 11:33 AM
I've got an itch to make a day trip tomorrow or Friday from Vancouver and I can't make up my mind.

I've been fortunate with bears Squamish way, but I don't know where to start looking for a deer there.

I have been to the other places before a few years ago now, but I never saw a buck in any of them to shoot at yet.

Too many places to try, too little time.

Given the choice, where would you go?

One Shot Willy
11-25-2005, 11:37 AM
I suggest going north of squamish into pemberton area if you can.
Another place is a logging road to your right just before the stawamus river bridge just before squamish. If you follow that road going to your right, you can get into the indian arm area behine the chief if the road is open. Lots of Blacktail bucks running around in there.
If you go to Pemberton go into Mackenzie Basis.

Steeleco
11-25-2005, 12:33 PM
The road to the Indian river valley was gated this past spring, which sucked but there is some very nice country in there. If you want to try the area just have a peek in there, the gate is just past the Water treatment area only a few K's in from hwy 99. If it open let us know, Thanks and good luck.

Gateholio
11-25-2005, 12:41 PM
I suggest going north of squamish into pemberton area if you can.
Another place is a logging road to your right just before the stawamus river bridge just before squamish. If you follow that road going to your right, you can get into the indian arm area behine the chief if the road is open. Lots of Blacktail bucks running around in there.
If you go to Pemberton go into Mackenzie Basis.

When are you guys going to figure out that there are NO deer in Pemberton!!!:roll:

One Shot Willy
11-25-2005, 04:35 PM
The year I don't kill anything, 3 years, 3 deer. Last year nice 3x4 mulie.

Gateholio
11-25-2005, 06:11 PM
The year I don't kill anything, 3 years, 3 deer. Last year nice 3x4 mulie.

Ho Ho Hee Hee!!;-)

You must be joking!!

There are no deer, bears or grouse in Pemberton...

The fishing is poor.

The weather sucks

the locals are unfriendly.

Gas is expensive.

And did I mention that there are NO deer here!!:smile:

slyfox
11-26-2005, 08:02 PM
Hay every one the indian river valley road is gated in squamish was there today saw 2 does and one small button buck that i let walk.

Byson
11-26-2005, 10:33 PM
I got a key to the Gate to indian arm but i don't hunt down there. I have never had any luck in the Mamquam logging roads, I logged up there seen a few deer there more Blackbears in the Mamquam, up the elaho valley around shop 3 is a good spot

Byson
11-26-2005, 10:43 PM
Ho Ho Hee Hee!!;-)

You must be joking!!

There are no deer, bears or grouse in Pemberton...

The fishing is poor.

The weather sucks

the locals are unfriendly.

Gas is expensive.

And did I mention that there are NO deer here!!:smile:
I agree Pemberton Sucks

Steeleco
11-26-2005, 10:59 PM
I got a key to the Gate to indian arm but i don't hunt down there. I have never had any luck in the Mamquam logging roads, I logged up there seen a few deer there more Blackbears in the Mamquam, up the elaho valley around shop 3 is a good spot

How does one get a key for spring??

Byson
11-27-2005, 10:05 PM
if work is going on the gate will be open just make sure they don't lock you in you can ask the forest services in Squamish

Steeleco
11-27-2005, 10:14 PM
Thanks Byson, I'll try that.

One Shot Willy
11-28-2005, 10:51 AM
Spoke to a friend in squamish this weekend re: access to the indian arm area. The gate will be closed for the rest of the season, also there is 1 ft of snow on the road and it is very hard to get through.
I only know of one person who has a key for it and he does not lend it out.

Ty

Greenfields
11-28-2005, 11:44 AM
Skagit valley can produce. I just got a 4X4 mulie last Friday, just NORTH!!!! (LOL) of Ross lake. I don't know how to post pics.

The Skagit valley can be hit or miss, but if you get out and walk you will more than likely run into something.

Cheers
Brian

Steeleco
11-28-2005, 11:49 AM
Greenfield you have me at a loss for words, deer so low down, and here I was looking high, VERY high in the hills. Good for you. I'm jealous :-( shoot me the pictures via e-mail and I'll post them up for you.

Jetboater
11-28-2005, 11:53 AM
Skagit valley can produce. I just got a 4X4 mulie last Friday, just south of Ross lake. I don't know how to post pics.

The Skagit valley can be hit or miss, but if you get out and walk you will more than likely run into something.

Cheers
Brian
south of ross lake would mean in the USA are you sure it was not north.

Greenfields
11-28-2005, 01:50 PM
Thanks Blacktail!! Silly of me I know, I have been telling people here at work how to get to the Skagit valley......SOUTH of hope.....it stuck in my brain.

Cheers
Brian

Steeleco
11-28-2005, 04:05 PM
Here's the pictures of Brian's brute. Nice going!!!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v305/steeleco/Deer3.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v305/steeleco/Deer4.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v305/steeleco/Deer8.jpg

He tells me that's the end of a three year drought. That's why the S**T eatin grin!!!! Great work, hugh spread.

Greenfields
11-28-2005, 04:45 PM
The last one should be titled fat guy and deer. LOL Thanks for posting the pics! I will post the story tomorrow.

Cheers
Brian

Maxx
11-28-2005, 07:16 PM
is that a 30" spread? What a great deer!

meat hunter
11-28-2005, 08:42 PM
Awesome buck, nice job

Greenfields
11-29-2005, 11:47 AM
I was intending to get out and hunt early on this Friday, didn't work out that way. Our little guy had a bad night and kept us up. I missed my 4am alarm due to being exhausted....oh well.
My darling wife, told me I was being mopey about not being out hunting and that after our little guy was dropped off at day care she would be willing to go for a drive and a walk. Cool, so I searched the house for her hiking gear and had it all set up when she arrived home and true to her word off we went.

Did the slow drive up the Skagit valley road (hope springs eternal) :-D , once we entered the park the plan was to walk the trail just after the bridge (parking area on one side/trail head on the other). We parked and started our walk. I usually go south along the trail that parrallels the road, as it comes out back onto the road for quick stroll back to the truck. This time we took the north fork and had walked about a half hour, entering the area with the shale rock fall and more open trees (low underbrush).

Amy said "deer......buck......BIG BUCK.....", following her line of sight and asking "Where" Quite stupidly I might add, because the deer was about 50meters away eating, with ass toward us looking over his left shoulder. Not the best presentation of the target but I wasn't about to let him bolt, so lined up on neck and pulled the trigger, he dropped like a bag of hammers. I have never seen an animal drop like that and Amy and I looked at each other with that DUH what happened look. :-D Once the shock was over we went over and had a look; the shakes started at that point.....literally vibrating.

I touched his eye with my rifle barrel with no result....good he is dead as a door nail. I picked up his head by the antlers and moved him to aline the body for gutting out. From out of his neck comes this fountain of blood in a stream about the diameter of a nickel and in spurts......first aid knowledge kicked in and I knew his heart was still beating even if his brain wasn't functioning. So I set him down and walked away for about 10 minutes to let him bleed out. To tell you the truth that experience freaked me out, I got over it quickly but my faith in my army first aid and industrial level 2 FA has taken a very serious confidence blow. I would still try to save someone with a wound like that.....but I would know the end result.

So Amy helped me during the gutting by tying off the legs and spreading when I needed it. She was a complete trooper, a little squeamish at first. She maybe taking her CORE and CFSC sooner than she thought. :-D It took about 45 minutes to drag the deer back to the truck, Amy and my muscles have told me that I did most of the dragging with pure adreneline as fuel source. :shock:

303B, Lee Enfield No4 Mk1 Sporter/cheap Marstar scope. 150 gr Win Factory Ammo.

He weighed 140 Ibs at the butcher (headless/skinless). We can't wait for the sausage/steaks/pep etc.....

I assumed that he is a Mulie, as the tail wasn't Black the whole length. Just the tip. Any ideas?

I forgot to add he had no brow tines at all, just straight beam to the forks?? Never seen that before either.

Cheers
Brian

Farmer
11-29-2005, 04:10 PM
Nice deer. What is the inside spread?
good story
Gord

Freshtracks
11-29-2005, 06:21 PM
Congrats ... that's a great mulie for the Skagit. Well done team.;-)

plumbob
11-29-2005, 07:13 PM
If you want a fairly good bet head out to Agassiz and try up mount woodside.Fairly short road but lots of deer.You just head to Mission from Agassiz and you'll climb up the mountain just out of Agassiz.At the top there's a cafe just before that on the right side is the logging road with lots of new slashes.

Fred
11-29-2005, 10:13 PM
Uhhh, right side going up or coming down. We used to Hang Glide in there and fish the little lakes. Fred

ram56
11-30-2005, 07:40 PM
someone told me about mount woodside, but if i recall i looked throught he regs and it is bow only cause it is in the fraser valley special area or am i mistaken

Fred
11-30-2005, 10:05 PM
The map(b25) on page 39 shows the special area to end at the banks of the Fraser, so Woodside should be open. Fred

Farmer
12-01-2005, 11:45 AM
Mount Woodside is in the District of Kent and Kent is not part of the Fraser Valley Special Area. Municipal bylaws prohit use of rifles or Shotguns with a single projectile within 1000 yds of a building or highway. 100 yards with shotguns with shot only.
Gord

slyfox
12-01-2005, 06:23 PM
Went to mount woodside today lots of snow and i did not see any foot prints on the dirt road looks like a good area but no sign maybe i just have to walk to the top of the road going on sunday ill let ever one now how it goes does any one now how far the road goes only went about 5 km today thanks slyfox.