PDA

View Full Version : new to hunting, trying to get an elk in region 8.

cellfishracing
05-15-2009, 09:46 AM
I am new to hunting this year and am wondering what i should do to get prepard for an elk hunt in region 8, greystokes,rky mountin park area.

what time of year should i go scout for a good area, what should i look for?

any advise for a new hunter, hunting elk in this area?

open-sights
05-15-2009, 11:02 AM
Wow, setting the bar pretty high. First off if you are new to hunting, don't have any expectations to harvest, buy the best gear you can afford and learn as much as you can from others but water down what anyone says and form your own opinions. Elk hunting is highly technical and a riot. You can start scouting right now and continue up until the season opens. You asked what to look for, well - just glass and glass and glass, if there is sign of fresh animals in the area, they will be around, wind is the most important thing in my experiences with elk hunting. Once they get a wiff of you, it is almost always game over. Keep a mulie and w/t tag at all times as the seasons overlap. Best of luck.

Ruger4
05-15-2009, 11:15 AM
bring your snowmobile if your going to greystokes :eek:

steepNdeep
05-15-2009, 11:52 AM
Elk are a blast! When you hear that 700 lb bull that you've been chasing all season scream at you from 40 yards... your adrenaline is pumping and not much else compares! :cool:

Don't know that area... but I'll pm you a few hints.

bowhunterbruce
05-15-2009, 01:27 PM
I am new to hunting this year and am wondering what i should do to get prepard for an elk hunt in region 8, greystokes,rky mountin park area.

get a good pair of boots,decent binos,and a complete set of horseshoes to gently slide up your arse,your gonna need them in the park going after elk

bighornbob
05-15-2009, 02:53 PM

I have hunted that area for 25 years and never even seen an elk. If you want to hunt elk in region 8, try Okanagan Mountain Park. Even at that there are many experienced elk hunters that dont see one in a season. If you want to learn to hunt elk, go to the east kootenays. One week there and you will see more elk and elk sign then you would in a lifetime of hunting elk in Region 8.

BHB

deer nut
05-15-2009, 04:28 PM
Buy an elk calling DVD, and a bugle and cow calls. Don't overuse the bugle! Also get some "smoke in a bottle" to monitor wind direction. 2 man teams work great for elk hunting - one caller, one shooter. Good idea for safety as well, esp. in the Kootenays. Read up on shot placement and don't extend beyond your comfortable range. Elk are tough animals and can travel far if hit poorly. Be good with your rifle - practise!

Be in the bush at dawn and dusk - try and find their bedroom and travel corridors. Talk to locals, visit hunting shops and taxidermists, local MOE Bios etc. to get as much lcoal knowledge as you can.

And finally, NEVER hunt with someone who has a scoped rifle but no binoculars (they will inevitably end up scoping you!!).

Good luck and stick with it - it may take a few years before you're successful! If it happens right away - acknowledge your luck! Focus on time in the outdoors and don't get frustrated or fixated on the harvest - enjoy the hunt.

mark
05-15-2009, 06:45 PM
I have hunted that area for 25 years and never even seen an elk. If you want to hunt elk in region 8, try Okanagan Mountain Park. Even at that there are many experienced elk hunters that dont see one in a season. If you want to learn to hunt elk, go to the east kootenays. One week there and you will see more elk and elk sign then you would in a lifetime of hunting elk in Region 8.

BHB

X2 What he said, Ive yet to see one in 10 years of hunting here, Very few guys ever get one here.
I have seen sign, so they do exist. Im told they dont respond to calling like elk do in most areas??? Way easier places to up your odds of success!

cellfishracing
05-16-2009, 11:53 AM
Sorry i meant OK mountain park, I am going in region 8 and up in the Peace river area. its more for the experience. I am gonna hunt with a 375H&H with open sights, my partner is gonna be Bow hunting if seasons work together. so scent control will be our first priority. thanks for the tips they are much appreciated