PDA

View Full Version : Did I find 1/2 of a 200" NT Muley?

jml11
05-14-2009, 08:11 PM
While at work today I stumbled upon a NT muley shed which only has two extra points but has a lot of mass and has good tine length overall. I've scored the antler I found and am curious if any of the shed hunting pro's can confirm if this buck is likely a 200 incher.

Here's my measurements:

Main Beam: 22 7/8"
G1: 1 7/8"
G2: 16 5/8"
G3: 10 3/8"
G4: 11 4/8"
H1: 5 2/8"
H2: 4 2/8"
H3: 4 3/8"
H4: 4 5/8"
E1: 7 3/8"
E2: 5 4/8"

Now assuming I've done my math correctly this makes for an 81 6/8" frame and 12 7/8" of extras for a total of 94 5/8"!

Assuming the other side was similar and the main frame did not have many deductions, is it fair to assume this is a 200"+ NT mule deer buck?

I have photos but cannot find the download cable :???:. I will post when I find it.

By the way I found this shed within Prince George city limits less than 100m off the highway :lol:

BCrams
05-14-2009, 08:20 PM
I think a walk about is required to find the other half !! Shouldn't take too long.

I did say I would have shot him :cool:

jml11
05-14-2009, 08:30 PM
I think a walk about is required to find the other half !! Shouldn't take too long.

I did say I would have shot him :cool:

Well you know where to look, maybe I shouldn't have told you where I found it ;).

killman
05-14-2009, 08:59 PM
Is that the one that was by the North scales?;)

mark
05-14-2009, 09:04 PM
That buck sounds like it should gross at least 210 plus!!! :shock: Now post up a pic pronto, then go find the other side!

Fisher-Dude
05-14-2009, 09:05 PM
This thread sucks without pictures!

T300WSM
05-14-2009, 09:12 PM
Very nice find, post some pics. I see you location is PG, but what MU of region 3 did you find it in?

leadpillproductions
05-14-2009, 09:14 PM
show us the pics plz

jml11
05-14-2009, 09:17 PM
Very nice find, post some pics. I see you location is PG, but what MU of region 3 did you find it in?

I said this shed was found in the city limits of PG, which is Region 7 not 3.

Sorry, I know lack of photos is lame on my part, I've been searching frantically for the download cable. Maybe I'll get BCrams to pose with the shed tomorrow at work and post up those photos :p.

T300WSM
05-14-2009, 09:26 PM
Thank you very much for correction on my reply.....very good reply....

dana
05-14-2009, 09:26 PM
Doubling the main frame and given the fact it only has 22 7/8 inch main means you can only give it the same for inside spread, add the extras and you have 199 2/8 gross inches. You can not assume the other side has the same for trash. It is quite common for a buck to have a couple extras on the one side and be clean on the other. If he was totally trashed out on the side you found then you could jump to the conclusion that he probably would be trashed on on the opposite side as well. But this is not the case with your shed. Until you find that other side, you will never know what he was. I have had high hopes for some bucks and then found the match and had those hopes brought down to reality. Mainframes are rarely ever perfect and can have 10 inches or more of difference at times. I have sheds I thought were going to be off of a 200 inch buck but then matched up they became 190 inch bucks. Still great deer, but not that magical 200 inches that we all dream about. My advice, pound the ground and find the match. Hopefully the rodents haven't found it yet.

mark
05-14-2009, 09:27 PM

Probably in the north east corner ;)

I said this shed was found in the city limits of PG, which is Region 7 not 3.

Sorry, I know lack of photos is lame on my part, I've been searching frantically for the download cable. Maybe I'll get BCrams to pose with the shed tomorrow at work and post up those photos :p.

Good luck with that, we might get a pic of the shed beside his boots at best :smile:

leadpillproductions
05-14-2009, 09:29 PM
What ever it scores on the other side sounds like a heck of a buck

mark
05-14-2009, 09:34 PM
Doubling the main frame and given the fact it only has 22 7/8 inch main means you can only give it the same for inside spread, add the extras and you have 199 2/8 gross inches. You can not assume the other side has the same for trash. It is quite common for a buck to have a couple extras on the one side and be clean on the other. If he was totally trashed out on the side you found then you could jump to the conclusion that he probably would be trashed on on the opposite side as well. But this is not the case with your shed. Until you find that other side, you will never know what he was. I have had high hopes for some bucks and then found the match and had those hopes brought down to reality. Mainframes are rarely ever perfect and can have 10 inches or more of difference at times. I have sheds I thought were going to be off of a 200 inch buck but then matched up they became 190 inch bucks. Still great deer, but not that magical 200 inches that we all dream about. My advice, pound the ground and find the match. Hopefully the rodents haven't found it yet.

Dana, why do you always down play this game???? When one finds a shed, the only logical way to figure it, is that the match would be equal! While that may not be the case, its a 50/50 chance that you've found the smaller of the 2 sides. The other could be the same, bigger or smaller, we wont know till we find it!

T300WSM
05-14-2009, 09:40 PM
Jelvis, can you tell us the location of this find?

jml11
05-14-2009, 09:48 PM

Yes, I understand and have considered all the above, which is why I stated assuming the other side was similar, would it not have the potential to be a 200"+ buck. The other side may be very weak and it is a 180" buck, or it's full of trash and it's a 220" buck. Just being hypothetical, we can all dream can't we :-P.

Unfortunately, this shed is a least one year old and the rodents have found it, so some of the tines were actually slightly longer than measured. My guess is BCrams will be out looking for the match this weekend so then maybe we can confirm a more accurate score.

Oh by the way I found the download cable, pics to follow.

dana
05-14-2009, 10:00 PM
Yes, I understand and have considered all the above, which is why I stated assuming the other side was similar, would it not have the potential to be a 200"+ buck. The other side may be very weak and it is a 180" buck, or it's full of trash and it's a 220" buck. Just being hypothetical, we can all dream can't we :-P.

Unfortunately, this shed is a least one year old and the rodents have found it, so some of the tines were actually slightly longer than measured. My guess is BCrams will be out looking for the match this weekend so then maybe we can confirm a more accurate score.

Oh by the way I found the download cable, pics to follow.

You are very correct. Hypothetical is all we can do without having that match. I am in no way down playing your find, you asked if you found 1/2 a 200 inch muley and I answered with my reasoning. I have been at this shed game for a very long time and have seen my share of 'almost' bucks and have found a few that were the real thing. I've learned that I'd rather prepare myself to be closer to reality than to dream super big and then be slightly disappointed when the set is finally matched up. I'm lookin forward to seeing the pic as the mass measurements sound like it is a pig of a shed. Hopefully you or Rams can match er up.

jml11
05-14-2009, 10:02 PM
These photos don't do it justice, but here's a few I've got so far. Maybe i'll get rams to double check my score.

My 2 year old son doing his best to hold it up!
http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e397/jflex48/P1010008.jpg

A good view of the extra points
http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e397/jflex48/P1010011.jpg

My son stands about 33" tall for reference.
http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e397/jflex48/P1010012.jpg

Probably quite a bit more impressive if that main beam was bit longer!
http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e397/jflex48/P1010019.jpg

mark
05-14-2009, 10:06 PM
I love that second last pic, thats a pretty cool shed!

No Tag Soup Please
05-14-2009, 10:08 PM
Thats a sweet shed man. Hope you guys can find the other

jml11
05-14-2009, 10:14 PM
You are very correct. Hypothetical is all we can do without having that match. I am in no way down playing your find, you asked if you found 1/2 a 200 inch muley and I answered with my reasoning. I have been at this shed game for a very long time and have seen my share of 'almost' bucks and have found a few that were the real thing. I've learned that I'd rather prepare myself to be closer to reality than to dream super big and then be slightly disappointed when the set is finally matched up. I'm lookin forward to seeing the pic as the mass measurements sound like it is a pig of a shed. Hopefully you or Rams can match er up.

Dana, I appreciate your input and reasoning. When I was referring to the shed hunting pros you were the primary person that came to mind and I expected a response from you. BCrams has spoken very highly of you and has shared many of your camps hunting stories and photos with me, but never offers up too much information :wink:.

I don't shed hunt, so for me this is quite a find and is probably the biggest muley shed I have ever found unless you consider this 88"+ typical (posted by BCrams a couple years ago) bigger?

http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=16326&highlight=chilcotin+shed

I actually found this shed as well but was not a member of the site so Rams posted it up instead.

dana
05-14-2009, 10:32 PM
That is a PIG of a SHED!!!! You need to match that sucker up!!!

Deadshot
05-14-2009, 11:11 PM
You guys are WAY too late!
Don't you know, the G/O's have been bustin their asses:eek: all year & have it in the bag. They are now officially 1/5th of the way to shuttin Dana's crew up once & for all.
Game on!

leadpillproductions
05-14-2009, 11:16 PM
That is a big deer, he's a shooter.

BCrams
05-14-2009, 11:58 PM
My guess is BCrams will be out looking for the match this weekend so then maybe we can confirm a more accurate score.

Seeing as you won't be, I just might have to! You can have the match if it exists.

Ajsawden
05-14-2009, 11:59 PM
neat! Wish i could find some like that!

beeker
05-15-2009, 12:10 AM
sure looks like it could be half of the big 6x4 that some of us have seen around. rumor has it that someone arrowed him last fall...

http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=28618&page=2

hunter1947
05-15-2009, 04:15 AM
If I was you I would be headed back and looking for the matching shed of that 6 point antler you found ,that shed specks for itself ,hard work will pay off.

kennyj
05-15-2009, 05:44 AM
Thats an awesome shed! Love the photos.
kenny

Fisher-Dude
05-15-2009, 06:03 AM
Maybe I'll get BCrams to pose with the shed tomorrow at work and post up those photos :p.

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e397/jflex48/P1010008.jpg

That little guy sure looks a lot like BCRams. Has BCR ever helped out around your house when you were working out of town? :wink:

Nice shed! You boys have the whole long weekend to search for the other side and disprove Dana's theory. :grin:

Shed Hunter
05-15-2009, 07:00 AM
105 with air= nice shed

Ride
05-15-2009, 07:54 AM
Thats a great shed. If only i wasn't going grizz hunting this weekend i would try to help find the other side.

jml11
05-15-2009, 07:57 AM
That little guy sure looks a lot like BCRams. Has BCR ever helped out around your house when you were working out of town?

:eek: Not that I am aware of.

jml11
05-15-2009, 07:58 AM
Thats a great shed. If only i wasn't going grizz hunting this weekend i would try to help find the other side.

I am in the same boat but maybe rams will go looking. If not maybe i'll go looking after work some time next week.

PGK
05-16-2009, 12:52 AM
Must have been out near the BCR site....seems I recall something about you working out that way ;)

moosinaround
05-16-2009, 08:10 AM
I am in the same boat but maybe rams will go looking. If not maybe i'll go looking after work some time next week.
That kinda looks like a HOG mulie that I seen walk through the log yard at the old NCP sight! It was a 5 pointer winter before last, big body, and fairly wide. There is a beauty hanging around the Vanway refuse site, was a 3pointer last spring when I seen him in velvet. Pretty large body on the 3 pointer. I keep looking for him around there hoping he made it and is a 4 or 5 pointer this year. Moosin

kgriz
05-16-2009, 02:09 PM
As long as the PG boys are whippin them out with " if I wasn't goin griz huntin and such" I'll put in my 2 cents, about 10 years ago I saw a non-typical out by the old Richie Bros site that would have made that one his B*tc*. It was Dec 10 ( I was coming home from region 5 bowhunting ) and he was standing across a very deep ditch otherwise the $300 deductable might have been worth it.:-P

kgriz
05-16-2009, 02:13 PM
Oh yeah and nice find....no doubt I'd look for the other....I wonder if it was as big as hoped how much it would be worth to a taxidermist?

.308win
05-16-2009, 03:33 PM
Dana, why do you always down play this game???? When one finds a shed, the only logical way to figure it, is that the match would be equal! While that may not be the case, its a 50/50 chance that you've found the smaller of the 2 sides. The other could be the same, bigger or smaller, we wont know till we find it!

Dana's just jelious!!!......The wife swamped him with house Reno's this spring and didn't get out shed hunting!!!!:wink::mrgreen: Awesome find!!! Best of luck on finding the match!!

Perry

jml11
05-21-2009, 11:59 AM
FOUND THE MATCH! Similar frame with two NT points off the G2 and G3 and possibly a third 1 inch point on the burr. BCRams is drooling all over the place as we speak!

And it appears the first shed I found is the smaller one! Will score later to confirm!

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e397/jflex48/P5210005.jpg

bowhunterbruce
05-21-2009, 12:06 PM
sweet score dude ,looks like a match to me

BCrams
05-21-2009, 12:07 PM
Its definatly a gagger buck with swag. Hard not to drool when its sitting 5 ft away.

JeremyCarrano302
05-21-2009, 12:08 PM
HOLY CRAP!!!!!!!
thats crazy congrats on finding the other half

ThinAir
05-21-2009, 12:08 PM
Wow! That thing is a monster.

Great find ANYWHERE, let alone PG

jml11
05-21-2009, 12:14 PM
Yeah I was impressed I was able to find the match. It only took 2-3 minutes and it was less than 100m away! I wonder if his 2008 sheds are in there?

moosehunter21
05-21-2009, 12:18 PM
Congrats on the match find! Deffinately a pig!

Kody94
05-21-2009, 12:43 PM
FOUND THE MATCH! Similar frame with two NT points off the G2 and G3 and possibly a third 1 inch point on the burr. BCRams is drooling all over the place as we speak!

And it appears the first shed I found is the smaller one! Will score later to confirm!

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e397/jflex48/P5210005.jpg

That fricken rocks. Congrats jml11!

I think I'd look a lot happier about it myself... ;)

Maxx
05-21-2009, 12:57 PM
VERY very nice. Congrats!

pitbell
05-21-2009, 01:19 PM
HOLY BALLS! :eek:

Better call Rick and have them scored.

tufferthandug
05-21-2009, 01:22 PM
Holy Balls Is Right! Whoa!!

leadpillproductions
05-21-2009, 01:57 PM
WOW well i guess the others that figured the match would be smaller haha .WHAT A PIG.......

dana
05-21-2009, 04:55 PM
Since I got ya prepared to expect smaller, I betcha pickin' up the match that was actually bigger felt pretty dam good eh? No ground shrinkage there. That thing is a freakin' HAWG!!! Looks like he's in that 210-215 range. SWEET BUCK!!!! Looks like we can now crown a new King for this shed season eh??? Way to Go!!! Looks like PG and Kelowna are now the new Clearwater. ;)

born2hunt
05-21-2009, 04:58 PM
very nice find
cute kid too:)

Brambles
05-21-2009, 05:10 PM
Looks like PG and Kelowna are now the new Clearwater. ;)

Nope Clearwater will never be replaced as the place to go for big monster bucks around every tree, :smile:

jml11
05-21-2009, 08:28 PM
Good guess Dana! Without knowing the actual inside spread I can only guess at the score. By my calculations, this buck grosses ~220" and nets ~215"!! Assuming the inside spread is wider than the longest main beam (24 5/8, the B&C website result is 217 2/8 net! Of course I am no expert scorer but I think I am in the ballpark.

This buck has an awesome main frame, grosses around 190" and is pretty symmetrical (other than the length of the main beams) with very few deductions, only 4 6/8". Nearly 31" of extras give it the high NT Score.

The thing that is amazing is that this buck is still too small for the B&C all time records book. Really gives you a good idea of how BIG they truly have to be to make that book!

Now if only I could find a buck of this caliber during hunting season!

kennyj
05-21-2009, 08:28 PM
Thats an awesome set of antlers!!!
kenny

mark
05-21-2009, 08:52 PM
Very nice! Isnt it an awesome feeling when the eyes connect on the match!

On a side note, you cant...."Assuming the inside spread is wider than the longest main beam (24 5/8," do this, even if it is, the spread credit is only as large as the shortest main beam.

Still an awesome buck, and Im guessing the score beats my sheds by a healthy margin, you can have the crown, as the grass is pretty tall around here now :(. (Ill bet I take the award for the most sheds though!) :shock:

jml11
05-21-2009, 09:03 PM
the spread credit is only as large as the shortest main beam.

That's what I though too and is why I was confused when I entered all the numbers into the Boone and Crockett Website and it came out larger than my own calculations. Looking at the online form it states "D. Inside Spread of Main Beams is measured at a right angle to the center line of the skull at widest point between main beams. Enter this measurement again as the Spread Credit if it is less than or equal to the length of the longer main beam; if greater, enter longer main beam length for Spread Credit."

dana
05-21-2009, 09:52 PM
For the inside spread you can only go with the length of the longest mainbeam. A 24 inch inside spread is pretty realistic for that buck.

mark
05-21-2009, 10:00 PM
Did I say shortest, me made an oopsy :oops:

PGK
05-21-2009, 10:04 PM
Jesus. What a pig.

Ride
05-21-2009, 10:08 PM
Wow, sweet buck. Definately a pig. Good on ya.

Shed Hunter
05-22-2009, 09:19 AM
vary vary nice even if it has sum chews. congrats to you

hunter1947
05-22-2009, 10:01 AM
It sure did pay off to head back and look for the other one and in this case it did.

That is a wicked set of sheds ,I am guessing non typical score of 212 ,way to go congrats to you for making it happen finding the second one http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon14.gif http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon14.gif.

Jelvis
05-22-2009, 12:05 PM
What huge Mu did yah find that bone? Or at least maybe the actual region?
Cuz those are from what appears a healthy buck.
I'd never get there but curious mu
mu?

Kody94
05-22-2009, 12:13 PM
What huge Mu did yah find that bone? Or at least maybe the actual region?
Cuz those are from what appears a healthy buck.
I'd never get there but curious mu
mu?

Did you even read the first post in the thread? ;) :p

PG city limits, 100m off of highway

jml11
05-22-2009, 12:52 PM
Did you even read the first post in the thread? ;) :p

PG city limits, 100m off of highway

Yup this is a homegrown deer!

Jelvis
05-22-2009, 05:26 PM
What are you PG' ins puttin in the fertilizers up there on the vegetables?
That buck is an absolute North American MONSTER!

Buckmeister
05-22-2009, 05:53 PM
Congrats on a very niiiiccee find!!!!

tooley
05-23-2009, 09:06 PM
..............speachless...............