PDA

View Full Version : West Coast salmon/hally

branthunter
05-13-2009, 05:10 PM
Anyone been have any info on how the salmon/halibut fishing has been lately out of Pt. Renfrew or Ucluelet or Tofino? I'm thinking of loading up the boat and spending a week or two at one of these places.

branthunter
05-13-2009, 05:12 PM
Just saw the Stupid in Renfrew thread so that helps.

f350ps
05-13-2009, 06:22 PM
Bet I know where you're going. K

blindguy
05-13-2009, 06:28 PM
Renfrew is still on fire did a 5 hour salmon trip this am and landed 15 springs nothing to big today largest around 17lbs,and the crabing is unreal.

I have another trip in the am so i'll let you know how it goes.

MB_Boy
05-13-2009, 11:56 PM
I'll let you know about Tofino on Tuesday. Start fishin' tomorrow til Monday. :D

MB_Boy
05-19-2009, 09:44 AM
branthunter....

Just got back from fishing Tofino and the fishing was great! Fished Friday, Saturday and Sunday and had limits each day between the two boats with fish up to 35 lbs....and lots of hali's on the salmon gear as we were trolling right on the bottom. Best hali for me was 55 lbs....and then we had some others in the "chicken" to low 40's range. Best day by far for us was Sunday as we got out limit but were into close to 20 springs in 4 hours with some "unintentional" long and short line releases. :p Most boats were limiting out on Sunday and not spending a ton of time out there. Great calm seas.

We were fishing out at "Portland" which is about 7 miles offshore to the slight southwest of Tofino. We did hear it was pretty good out offshore of Ukie but I also heard that out on big bank which is a ways out that they shut things down for the sporties? I am not sure.....heard it in passing but didn't really pay much attention to it.

If I have time later I will add in some pics.

branthunter
05-19-2009, 11:05 AM
Thanks for the report---I heard the same thing from another source as well.

Johnnybear
05-19-2009, 08:46 PM
The West Coast of the Island is doing real well. I have a guide friend in Tofino that said the weekend was awesome. I have some buddies that fished Barkley offshore and said it was great. I'm heading out there next Sat. and will post up a report and pics.