PDA

View Full Version : foresty campsites via Chilliwack

Mr. Friendly
05-13-2009, 12:47 PM
my brother and I are going to go camping this weekend...do a bit of target shooting, pattern my shotgun and such and hopefully hunt some bear. we'd like to hit up the Chilliwack area as it's been rumored to have a nice population. anybody have some recommendations? I'm most interesting in shooting (joining a club end of the month...Ridgeway I believe) but I just got an SKS and I need to go bangbangbangbangbang! :D

smokey
05-13-2009, 12:59 PM
Chilliwack has some good places to target shoot but being the long weekend it will be a gong show and all the backroads will be full of 4x4 and motorbike and grads partying so watch out for the cops and good luck with the hunt but i think another weekend would be better

wolverine
05-13-2009, 01:18 PM
Yeah, without a doubt Chilliwack/Harrison is not a good choice this weekend. The campsites and the forests will be full of yahoos. Too close and too accessible for Vancouver types that think that as soon as they cross the Port Mann they are in the bush and can do as they please.

Mr. Friendly
05-13-2009, 01:25 PM
well, I'm taking Friday off so the two of us can get out...we're not afraid to drive too far. any other suggestions then? :)

smokey
05-13-2009, 03:02 PM
anywhere past hope or up the coke hwy i'm going up to the coldwater exit to do some fishing

Mr. Friendly
05-13-2009, 05:42 PM
ultra-beginner here. my brother has hunted some, but I haven't hunted at all...so we have zip for experience on hunting bear. we were just gonna wander abouts the backroads and hopefully shoot for fun and perhaps see a bear worth taking. if anyone has any recommendations, it would be greatly appreciated. I understand nobody wants to give away 'their' spot...but if there are spots that are well known that you feel safe to mention, please do.

I'm mostly interested in the camping/shooting part as I have a lot of new equipment to test...P17, XL7, 12ga SxS, Savage MkII .22 and my SKS (which I'm not so sure we'll use as we've got to clean the cosmo and a screw is stuck tight and won't budge for disassembly). but a bear would be nice as we're really wanting to try it out for some good eats! :biggrin:

Huey
05-13-2009, 08:07 PM
go to nahatlatch... it'll be a zoo too but not as bad as chwk...

BearSniper
05-13-2009, 08:20 PM
Ditto...

Chilliwack river valley and the lower Coquihalla will be like the hospital Psych ward on a full moon.

Check out a few of the Forestry camp sites further along the Coquihalla such as Murray lake or along the Kane valley FSR.

Just a little fiurther to get to, but, worth the trip, and hey, theres no more toll.

just my 2 cents

stalker
05-13-2009, 08:32 PM
try the creek systems along the canyon American, Scuzzy, Spuzzum and Anderson they don't have much for camping so should be better for bear hunting this weekend

Gateholio
05-13-2009, 11:27 PM
If you are leaving Friday morning, why not drive up to the Duffey Lake rd, and stay at one of the FS campsites along the road.

Any of the older FS roads will hold bears.

3 hours from downtown Vancouver

If you are leaving Friday afternoon, don't bother. The camps will surely be full....

Steeleco
05-14-2009, 12:08 AM
or along the Kane valley FSR.

There goes my secret spot :lol::lol:

I'll be in there somewhere Friday am. All the dirt bikers and atv'ers will be north of the lakes, there's plenty of hunting to be had within 15 min. Although last weekend things were pretty brown still.:frown:

MichelD
05-14-2009, 07:51 AM
I 'm staying home.

Crazy.kayaker
05-14-2009, 11:02 AM
I'm the little brother mentioned. When you said duffy did you mean duffy lake? cause if you did...then YA GONG SHOW. I live in kamloops :) I came down hoping to find some things I wanted for my new .22 but unless I want a scope (and I don't) my guns is useless to me unless I keep it in the safe for the next 1-2 years so williams will make a new peep sight to mount on it.

Gateholio
05-14-2009, 11:36 AM
I'm the little brother mentioned. When you said duffy did you mean duffy lake? cause if you did...then YA GONG SHOW. I live in kamloops :) I came down hoping to find some things I wanted for my new .22 but unless I want a scope (and I don't) my guns is useless to me unless I keep it in the safe for the next 1-2 years so williams will make a new peep sight to mount on it.

Yeah, it's sure to be a gong show on the weekend, but if you get there early you can find a place to camp....

Anywhere within a few hours of the lower mainland will be full of people this weekend.

bobak
05-16-2009, 02:16 PM
was out there thursday and the campers were already there. saw one bear but didnt offer a clear shot so good luck bears are there