PDA

View Full Version : Canvas Wall Tent Question?????????

bearass
05-11-2009, 07:59 PM
Our hunting tent we use is a 16x32 foot army tent that we bought from a army surplus store about 15 years ago. It is a great tent lots of room for my hunting partnersand my self.

We are concerned about the life of the canvas, it seems to be getting very dry,and it seems as thow it can rip alot easyer than it used to, and we are worried about its ability to not go up in flames .Is there any kind of treatment that you can do to the canvas ?

ghost_
05-13-2009, 07:36 PM
found this if that helps.

http://www.flamestop.com/

there is also a few manufacture of wall tents in Vancouver that might fix it if it rips and stuff like that later in the future.

Hope this info helps. :mrgreen:

Jager
05-13-2009, 08:29 PM
I don't own a canvas tent or have experience with these formulas so you should do some further research. For waterproofing disolve a pound of parrafin in a gallon of white gas or kerosene, brush on and let dry....I would assume this isn't flame friendly. Apparently some people also just brush on Thompsons Water Seal (the stuff for your deck).

Like I said do some further research as I think the parrafin is an "old school" treatment that may no longer be used.

SHACK
05-13-2009, 08:31 PM
CANVAK is a good product to renew your canvas. I think I bought it from cabelas last time. Realy cleans up and waterproofs your canvas, kinda smelly for a little while (minor) but it realy makes your tent like new!

BlacktailStalker
05-14-2009, 12:08 AM
You dont need to but I'd use a fly if you dont already.
UV rays are what kills a wall tent the quickest, I use one for that reason.

Mugger
05-16-2009, 02:10 PM
Sounds to me like it is time to upgrade, 5' walls, white or tan lets more light in and is so much lighter to put up and store away.The rips will come faster and faster.

Fisher-Dude
05-17-2009, 07:28 AM
I think your tent is starting to rot. If it was stored with some moisture still in the fabric after a wet outing, the deterioration was expedited. Ripping easily is usually a sign that she's on her way to the big tent city in the sky.

tuchodi
05-17-2009, 07:59 AM
We have an 18 X 24 X 6' wall tent made out of 12 oz canvas which is just over 20 years old and we are going to have to replace it. It is still waterproof and has been dried out everytime it was used but canvus only has aprox 20 years life. I don't know of any product that will help deterioration from age but if you just need to waterfroof it I was told by Northwest Tent in Edmonton they use Thompsons Water Seal. We have had to repair it a couple of times as Grizzly's seam to be able to find the door when they go in but like making their own door when leaving.Ours is starting to get small tear's in it when we put it up or take it down just from normal use. It has had most of its use in the late fall and has always had a lot of snow on it so this is also contributing to its life.

gary murray
05-17-2009, 09:56 AM
I think your tent is starting to rot. If it was stored with some moisture still in the fabric after a wet outing, the deterioration was expedited. Ripping easily is usually a sign that she's on her way to the big tent city in the sky.
I agree. When i got my old canvas tent ready for last falls hunting season and unrolled it, it had a slimy residue on it and you could poke your finger through it without applying any pressure at all. I set it up to let it breath and you could almost see through the roof. I had left it on the covered deck all spring and summer but that didn't stop the temperature changes from attacking it. Moisture, humidity, dampness, dew etc. I'm just thankful that it was an old tent and was given to me by someone that was going to throw it out anyways. I'm guessing once the rot starts then it's game over. It will spread and there's nothing you can do to put life back into it. I guess you could call it a flesh eating disease for tents. There is a fire treatment you can get for canvas tents but you may be wasting your time and money if the rot process has already started.

jeepingpw
05-18-2009, 08:27 PM
Yep if its old it's prob dry rot.

I've treated new tents with the Can Tire cheap stuff that has parifin in it. (This stuff is not fire ******ent so be carefull). We hung the tents up in the shop & used a automotive paint spray gun to apply. It totally penetrated the canvas due to the pressure & lasted a long time. I feel this meathod is better than rolling or brushing it on, whatever you use..

bearass
05-18-2009, 09:31 PM
Thank You everyone for your input. If we decide to restore the canvas I will post the results on how it turns out.

jimmytootall
05-19-2009, 07:28 AM
I think its time to replace this tent.............. Maybe everyone could give there opinion as to what is the best set up for a hunting camp considering a cooking area, sleeping, gear storage etc. I am sure with everyone's input they could help you/me make a good decision for the best choice for the next 20 plus years.

I have seen hunting cabins made out of plywood, every type of tent set up including two tents with a cooking area in the middle of them. One tent for sleeping and one for eating/cards and story telling.

If you were buying a complete new hunting camp with your expieriences camping in the Kootenays what would you go with?????

Appreciate everyone's time and suggestions
Jim

bigwhiteys
05-19-2009, 07:35 AM
CANVAK is a good product to renew your canvas. I think I bought it from cabelas last time. Realy cleans up and waterproofs your canvas, kinda smelly for a little while (minor) but it realy makes your tent like new!

My Beckel tent was starting to leak a little on some of the seams... Called the manufacturer and they suggested I use CanVak.

Bought a can for $50 or $60 can't remember and treated the tent...

Now the tent leaks so friggen bad from EVERYWHERE that I had to order the fitted canvas rainfly for $200 to fix the problem.

Maybe I got a bad batch but the CanVak absolutely screwed my tent I would never use it again.

Carl