PDA

View Full Version : A Twelve Bear Day

Ambush
05-10-2009, 08:38 PM
I went for a look around Saturday and saw twelve bears. Two were a little better than average, the rest needed a few more years. I saw nothing that I wanted to wreck a broadhead on. Monday will be better, I hope.

The pic is of a five foot bear at forty yards. I used a cheap Canon digital through 10X Swarovski binos, laid on a branch. The lens on the camera fits just snug in the rubber eye piece.

Question for the bear experts:
Boar or sow and why do you think so?

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/0036.JPG (http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=14025&size=big&cat=500)

The Hermit
05-10-2009, 08:50 PM
guess a young sow, thin chest and long legs?

Sideofabarn
05-10-2009, 09:54 PM
You're doing better than I am, all I see is where they've been. Saw a good sized set of tracks today though. Was a perfect day to be out tooling around in the bush!

leadpillproductions
05-10-2009, 11:44 PM
i say its a sow

hunter1947
05-11-2009, 05:39 AM
Young sow ,look at the buns on the rear ,only sows carry that kind of a rump LOL.

showtimebc
05-11-2009, 09:36 AM
ya the bear hunting is heating up. I went for a drive with a couple buddies 2 nights ago and we saw 14 bears. but no monsters, so no shots were fired.

nice to get out though.

nice pic. I'd say sow aswell. probably 3 years old.

steepNdeep
05-11-2009, 10:45 AM
Sow - narrow shoulders & fat ass. :-D

bearhunter338-06
05-11-2009, 11:20 AM
Just run up and slip you'r hand up between it's back legs and you should be able to tell then

srupp
05-11-2009, 12:45 PM
Hard to tell from that angle..cuz I look at the NECK when judging the BOYZ from the GIRLZ....:shock:......

butt..I will think boy bear....

a better picture from the side to show the neck would confirm it...

steven

Ambush
05-11-2009, 01:06 PM
Hard to tell from that angle..cuz I look at the NECK when judging the BOYZ from the GIRLZ....:shock:......butt..I will think boy bear...a better picture from the side to show the neck would confirm it...
steven

Bucking the trend there Steven.:) Gotta respect a man with courage of conviction.
I think I have two more on the camera without the 10X assist. I'll look for a better angle and post later.

Ambush
05-11-2009, 04:38 PM
Does this pic help?

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/0026.JPG (http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=14026&size=big&cat=500)

srupp
05-11-2009, 07:12 PM
.....no not really..lol:roll:....but what the hey....

Heres my take on it.... judging boyz vs girlz....I have always been "taught" to look at the neck.....girl bears and this is especially true..in my experience with grizzlies....

girls..the females heads seem to be "stuck " on the bodies..no necks..

where the boyz have very decernable necks no matter how big or samll the heads are..

I dont have exact #'S on how many times..% this works but it is my experience it is pretty reliable..and ONE of the tools I use for long range evaluation on bears..

field judging bears you would get a chance to evaluate the neck..etc..etc

Steven:wink:

Bowtime
05-11-2009, 07:30 PM
I'd say thats a boar. Give him a couple years and he'll be worth a broadhead.
When ever I look at a bear I go with my gut instinct. I never try talking myself into thinking its a boar. If I cant tell its a boar first glance its ussually not worth shooting.

shanevg
05-11-2009, 10:01 PM
Looks like a sow to me, I think the big butt gives her away.

Ambush
05-11-2009, 10:36 PM
Well I did see a shooter tonight. But I didn't have the video camera mounted on the bow, and by the time that was done the only shot I had was head on. Then he turned and sauntered into the bush with out offering a shot. Didn't want to make a movie I guess.:roll:

Saw nine bears and two cubs. Rained buckets and got dark early.
Tomorrow's another day.

srupp
05-12-2009, 01:44 AM
shanevg..the bear is angled away in the first photo.. the perspective is out of wack he doesnt look nearly as back heavy in the second photo..does HE...

Steven