PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions for bear hunt by canoe?

canuckjgc
05-10-2009, 05:50 PM
Hi all, looking to canoe someplace with my 18' freighter and outboard, and then walk around and hunt for bears.

Any good suggestions close to the lower mainlaind? I'm thinking maybe Nahatlach lakes but not sure there are any trails around there. Chilliwack Lake? Jones Lake (road still closed though?).

Any suggestions most welcome. I want to get away from quads and people :razz:

PressurePoint
05-10-2009, 06:15 PM
Chilliwack lake is a waste of time if you are trying to get away from people. It has been over run with dirtbikers and atv'ers. But not to say that there still isnt bear out there. Just personally, i have spent some time hunting there and i wont go back. Focus more on areas with no people, not a few.

whitetailsheds
05-10-2009, 07:11 PM
Wait till they're dead before putting them in the canoe........

canuckjgc
05-10-2009, 07:32 PM
Ok thanks. Haven't been out there in a looong time, heard it was busy.

Chilliwack lake is a waste of time if you are trying to get away from people. It has been over run with dirtbikers and atv'ers. But not to say that there still isnt bear out there. Just personally, i have spent some time hunting there and i wont go back. Focus more on areas with no people, not a few.

Slime green cat
05-10-2009, 09:22 PM
You could try the north end of Chehalis ? there is no access past the big slide ... the only way into the north end is from the Mystery creek rd coming from Harrison west FSR wich last I heard was still snowed in as of a few days ago .
So unless the snow melts, the only way into that end of lake would be by boat :cool:

You could also consider the top end of Stave .... no road access up there .
Have a look at Google earth to give yourself a visual of the cut blocks etc ...

Good luck :D

Bpower
05-10-2009, 10:21 PM
You could try the north end of Chehalis ? there is no access past the big slide ... the only way into the north end is from the Mystery creek rd coming from Harrison west FSR wich last I heard was still snowed in as of a few days ago .
So unless the snow melts, the only way into that end of lake would be by boat :cool:

You could also consider the top end of Stave .... no road access up there .
Have a look at Google earth to give yourself a visual of the cut blocks etc ...

Good luck :D

There is, or will be one of those run of the river power projects being put in the North end of Stave Lake. PKS has an area on the west side of the lake they are using for a staging area for barging up supplies to the project.

Bpower
05-10-2009, 10:25 PM
What about going up the Indian Arm to the mouth of the Indian River? The water is somewhat sheltered and I don't think there is road access into there anymore and there is good crabbing up that way.

ElectricDyck
05-11-2009, 06:26 AM
I've always wanted to try the north end of pit lake, never been on the lake though so I don't if it's canoe friendly.

canuckjgc
05-11-2009, 10:03 PM
Thanks for the suggestions. Has anyone canoed Nahatlatch? From Google Earth there looks to be some places to walk around and look for bear.

TIKA 300
05-11-2009, 10:50 PM
Never been out on Nahatlatch by boat,but seen many a bear track along the river and lakes.....