PDA

View Full Version : When to Introduce children to Hunting

youngbuck
11-22-2005, 02:08 PM
Hi All,

I've got a 3 1/2 yr old son and I'm starting to consider introducing him to the wilderness and such. Eventually, I'd like to get him more invovled in hunting.

So, I'm looking to hear what some of the more experienced (aka : older:wink: ) folks on this site have done and when they started with their children, grandchildren, nieces or nephews.

I think it is a bit early to introduce him to shooting as I don't want to put any fears into him. I was thinking of taking him along on some driving/scouting trips in the summer for the next 2 years and then slowly introduce the shooting part.

Seabass
11-22-2005, 02:24 PM
I don't have kids that I know off but my buddy used to take his two boys out since they were very young. Helps them to get used to all aspects of hunting very soon. My buddy would just go for drives and he would have his .270 with him while the boy(s) would have their plastic toy rifles and pretend shoot/view game and just have fun with Dad. Neat to see. Both kids are now hunting nuts and darn good at it!!! Other than infants you can't really start them too young. I think after they stopped using dippers he started taking them out. Didn't want a stinky truck.:grin:

You could start your kid with a cap gun (he'll love that) then a pelet gun and eventually a 22 in a few years time. Good luck

Dayto
11-22-2005, 02:31 PM
maby start the lil guy at 10 ,get him on a pellet rifles teach him safety first not how to hunt just firearm safety ,then when he gets comftorable with the rifle when he turns 11-12 pick up a little .22(Cooey single shot a all around great learning rifle and canadian tradition)and start him on the ethics of hunting and start him on some birds , from there on in its all up to him he could say "Hey dad this is great" are "We done yet , i wanna go home" its up to them to decide if they like the sport.

But never overgun the little guy you will just scare him off start him off on the fun shit then a few later see what his reaction is to throwing on a back board and hearing "Boy hike up the hill and throw on a quarter" lol

Ride
11-22-2005, 02:47 PM
Take him out with you when you are just going for a drive or a scout. My earliest memories are of being in the outdoors with my family. Just getting them out there is whats impportant.

oldtimer
11-22-2005, 03:14 PM
Well we start them out young in our family. I had my kids out with me in the truck around 5 yrs old I think. My son ( willyQ ) has his kids out sooner than that and they love it. My Grandson is 5 and already has his first grouse with a 4-10 and is now trying for one with his own 22. He has more knowledge abount hunting and species recognition than a lot of teen-agers I know. He helped Willy track his deer this year and when Willy wanted to go one way the little guy said dad I really think we should look this way ( different way than willy ) and sure enough they went the little guys way for a short distance and there was the deer piled up. Pretty cool. Mike

doog3
11-22-2005, 03:16 PM
we took our youngest son hunting when he was 10 and he even took the firearms and core course and he did real well. the 1st time out hunting he shot 5 grouse and some of the birds he killed with just 1 shot he made us proud

Dirty
11-22-2005, 03:22 PM
My Pops took my brother and I out when we were 5 and 6 years old. We were the bird retreivers!

shoot to kill
11-22-2005, 04:38 PM
you still are the retriever:p

Steeleco
11-22-2005, 04:39 PM
I have taken my son out many times since he was 6, he's now almost 10 and starting to learn to shoot. The best thing I found is to let them tell you when they are ready, My son has been with me for a dear and bear kill and got a little squeamish but I didn't rush him or give him a bad time about it as I want him to keep coming, and I'm sure he would choose not too if he felt pressured.

Each kid is different, take your / his time, you have the rest of your lives!!!

Driftwood
11-22-2005, 05:03 PM
My wife and I have always believed that our children would not change our life style where it comes to our hobbies.
I have taken both of my children out camping, hiking , hunting, cutting wood etc right from birth. The sooner you introduce your child to the outdoors and everything that goes with it the better.
My oldest daughter started shooting a 22 at cans and stuff at 5 years and is a pretty good shot. If you read my post "Sunday morning with my daughter" you'll get an idea where my family comes from.
If they grow up with the life style, it isn't a "shock" to them when they are older, it's just old hat!

youngbuck
11-22-2005, 05:11 PM
Thanks alot guys for the info.

As stated, I'll probably take him out with me when we scout new areas in the summer. It's just like going camping and he really loves being outside.

I'm probably not going to introduce the gun thing for a few years.

I'm thinking about taking him with me for many reasons. One is to get my wife off my back about aways wanting to get away form the family. Also, it will give me a chance to spend some quality time with the little guy. And lastly, I'll be able to scout new areas.:lol:

Driftwood
11-22-2005, 05:21 PM
Youngbuck;
Take your guns with you, while you may not let your child shoot, expose them to the sounds of firearms that way they won't freak out when you do.

Fido
11-22-2005, 05:24 PM
Well just my thought I have 4 kids and started them as soon as they could walk we went wood cutting and hunting/fishing all the time. They now enjoy it so much that they are asking to go with me when I go. I try and get all 3 girls out 2 or 3 times each and my son a bit more now that he canpack 1/4"s of moose:p but just being out and having a weener roast is one way to get them out and once they get to like it they will never stop. And my oldest is 19 now and still likes to go with old Dad go figure.:lol:

J_T
11-22-2005, 06:31 PM
My Pops took my brother and I out when we were 5 and 6 years old. We were the bird retreivers!

I will agree with anyone that says, get your kids out now. Young is always best. Teach them the comfort and knowledge of the forest and nature. There are lots of required skills for hunting that we take for granted. Killing is but a small part of it.

There is a study that suggests, youth, that do not see blood drawn by the age of 12 will not remain hunters through their lives. I have seen evidence of this in my life.

The key to taking your kids out? Understand why you are doing it. It is not to get your wife off your back, but rather to nurture your child with an appreciation for nature and spend quality time together. The relationship you and your children share with nature, may be the bond that keeps you close and gives you purpose later in life.

Find the little guy a piece of wood in the forest and let him carry it like a gun. Learn the appropriate ways to handle firearms. From the start.

JT

Bow Walker
11-22-2005, 06:36 PM
My dad started taking us (me and my brothers) out to the great outdoors when we were just toddlers. Camping, outdoor BBQ's, day trips, and the like. We got used to being in the outdoors and we liked it.

Then when we were of an age where we could keep up and not be too much of a "bother" dad would take us out hunting with him - one at a time. Which set us up to compete to see who would be the lucky one to be able to go.

I was 14 when I was given my first rifle for my birthday. It was a "sporterized" .303 lee enfield. My older brother and I would take the gun when either one of us "won" the contest and could be the one to go hunting with dad.

We learned at an early age to take care of our gear. Cleaning, storing, and maintenance. Gotta give the "ole man" a huge THANK YOU for the upbringing.

Start them young and bring them along at their own speed. They will let you know.

shortroot
11-22-2005, 07:20 PM
They are nevr too young. You may need to change things up to be a little safer, but exposing them to the great outdoors is always great. My brother and I have taken his son out since he was a year and a half old, sometimes together, but whenever one of gets time we try and take him with us. We go out and mainly scout (with a gun), but it gives him the opportunity to see and learn about wildlife. Now he's almost three and has all sorts of stories about big bucks and big horns and pink and purple bears (he's at the age when he looks at you and laughs when you ask him the colour of the bear).

Although we have never shot anything but grouse with him, he loves coming out and seeing everything, even if he honks the horn while your watching an animal, or is yelling out names for fun while driving the quad. You have to remember they're just youngsters and don't know any better, but I would say really teaching a kid to hunt would be child specific, when the kid really wants to learn and listen to you. I've hunted with my dad since I was in a car seat, and will continue to do so until one of us can no longer hunt.

The biggest kick I had this year was driving on the quad with my nephew and I seen a bear dive off a landing and run down hill. I grabbed him and ran to the edge of the landing and saw the bear about 150yds downhill. I asked him "What's that?". It took about 30 seconds, but when he finally saw it his eyes grew the sice of saucers and he whispered in awe "BEAR". Someday it will be my own kids, but the nephew isn't bad for now, I can spoil him and send him home.

Even had them flyfishing this fall, two 2.5 year olds fishing for pinks. They each got to land and release a fish of their own (with a little help). My nephew still talks about it when I see him. The memories that a kid has at a young age greatly influences their outlook on life.

rollingrock
11-22-2005, 08:35 PM
I wouldn't push my kids when they're still too young. But I think 10-year-old mark is a good start.

Stump
11-22-2005, 08:42 PM
First timer here as faar askids hunting my son started at eight by the time he was 12 he had collected enough beer bottles to buy his own custume 30.o6 now stuart takes dad!

rollingrock
11-22-2005, 08:48 PM
Welcome, Stump!

oldtimer
11-22-2005, 09:21 PM
Welcome Stump.
My son had my grandkids out with him while they were still in car seats. Knew the difference between a buck and a doe soon after. just great
Mike

Tonto
11-22-2005, 09:28 PM
Picture of me and my boy on the Nov. Long weekend up at Rock Creek.
He was in there like a dirty shirt.
He is now 2 1/2 and we have had him out many times deer and moose hunting.
He loves looking for deer and gets a little pissed off when we cant find any.
I have no problem taking him out with me and cant wait until he is a little
older to be more involved.:D

rock
11-22-2005, 10:22 PM
Both my kids where introduced on scouting trips when they where old enough to walk, took my son out every time I could. Now I have a hunting partner for life. Earlier the better pending how they can cope with traveling in the bush. Both my kids were great, just remember keep it enjoyable for them.

buckslayer
11-22-2005, 10:48 PM
Both my son and daughter have been going hunting with me since they were very young. My son took the core course and got his own licence at 10.he shot his first deer at 10 with my 30/06 at about 150 yds. Made the old man proud.

Husky7mm
11-22-2005, 11:23 PM
Mine are 16 mths and 34 mths, they come all the time for a drive.They say buck, buck or roar if its a bear and howl if its a coyote. A barney DVD does help for the long ride home. lol Santa's got "mini henrys" just around the corner!

PGKris
11-23-2005, 12:21 AM
Never too early. Get him out there now. Take him for a road hunt, show him dead chickens and introduce him to guns. Don't let him shoot, just teach him respect of guns long before he ever get a hold of one. I've got this awesome picture of me at 3 years old holding up 2 dead grouse and the shotgun!
KRIS

huntwriter
11-23-2005, 08:11 AM
As early as possible, the moment they can crawl. Get them involved gradually. If they are in school it is to late you will have it much harder then because the "anti influence" is much bigger then.

My parents involved me, oh gosh, since ever I can think. As a little guy of 5 I can remember running trough flooded fields to fetch ducks my father shot. I do remember very well that "Father Christmas" gave me a .22 lever action rifle when I turned 7 years old because I still remember like it happend yeasterday that in the following spring I became the "rabbit killer" with that gun. At the age of 11 I shot my first Roe-Buck-Doe with my fathers over under rifle.

Of course all this was long before we had the silly age restrictions and child laws. It was a time when parents where free to raise children as they saw fit and not the government.

Elkhound
11-23-2005, 04:12 PM
lots of good advice here....can't think of anything to add.
Never too young to start firearm safety...

rrfred
11-23-2005, 09:31 PM
both kids were in the bush early, tagging along age 4-9 once legal to shoot game at, 10 they were ready - grouse and hares etc are the kids chores- expcept for number one whos now doing very well and he's capping the big stuff ;) .

Tarp Man
11-23-2005, 10:31 PM
Well, I have no kids, but grew up in the Chilliwack River Valley and spent many day trips in the kid packer frame on my dad's back until I could walk. I grew up in the outdoors, and it holds me in good stead learning to hunt at a late age (started at 24). My dad taught me to fish and camp and hike, and a general appreciation for all things wilderness related. My grandfather hunted and took a BC Book elk from the Island, but Parkinson's capped that pursuit before I came along. It seems to be in the blood because given the chance, I was solidly hooked on hunting after a frozen morning spent in a field trying to call in December Canadas. I love game meat and the responsibility I feel after taking an animal. It is difficult to explain to non-hunters. Similar to another thread, I started as a keen hiker, and now use my hiking/bush skills to ensure solid decision making when hunting.
If it was up to me, I would have every kid out in the bush in some sort of survival/learn to camp/hike/enjoy wilderness experience. My dad worked with a program that took troubled teens into the bush (out of their confort zone) and taught them wilderness skills. This program proved to be a solid way of reforming them. I cannot wait to get my own kids into the outdoors. A few reminders
-keep it fun and have a destination if you are hiking eg. lake, hill, peak, special lookout, etc. It helps their attention span
-let them go at their own pace (fun factor)
-teach responsibility with outdoor tools (pocket knife, hatchet, fishing rod, firearms) This keeps the gear in good shape and helps with the whole "be a good steward of what you have"
-provide variety for them. Let them pick the destination or activity from time to time.
-Your kids will tell you when they are ready, and I've seen both sides of kids who are pushed and kids who are encouraged to go at their own pace. Believe me, its worth the "wasted" hunting trip because they made too much noise or wanted to go somewhere else. Quality time is worth the sacrifice/investment.
-Tarp Man

BCHunter
11-23-2005, 10:42 PM
I start my girls at 6 with bird hunting, 8-9 with day hunts for deer and bear. My 9yr old has been shooting .22 since she was 8yr at our clubs indoor range. Juniors Shooting Program..they teach them everything...

Steeleco whens your son going to be 10? we should organize a bear hunt for the spring...for the kids! my oldest turns 10 in Feb. Ex would be into that too

BCHunter
11-23-2005, 10:48 PM
whats a good calibre to start them out hunting with? 243?

Dirty
11-24-2005, 04:08 PM
a 243 is a great deer gun and it doesnt kick to bad, its good for young hunters

BCHunter
11-24-2005, 04:11 PM
thanks for the tip...do you think open sight or scope?

MB_Boy
11-24-2005, 04:31 PM
BC......I do know that when I started out it was .243 for deer and 30-30 for moose. I had open on the 30-30 when I was young and a scope on the .243....I think for a kid and this is my opinion from experience, I felt more confident with the scope. I also shot .22's a lot at local clubs (peep sights) and was confident with the 30-30 out to a decent distance. The scope I think may help with the margin of error for a young hunter and help to ensure a well placed shot?? Just a thought.......it was about 25 yrs ago for me at the age of 9-10 so I can't recall all the specifics :wink: .

I would tend to think if they are shooting at any sort of distance that a scope may help ensure a well placed shot into the vitals than with open. Although it is a big concern now (more confidence in my skills now), I do recall one of my biggest fears at an early age was that I was going to wound an animal and not put it down quickly. Well that was my fear cuz we didn't have grizzly bears in MB!! lol.....

BCHunter
11-24-2005, 04:44 PM
thanks MB, she shares the same concern of losing the animal. But before she even pulls the trigger I want her to be hitting within a pie plate at 100 yards with a scope. 100 yards being the max distance..

J_T
11-24-2005, 06:40 PM
The 243 for deer is excellent. I think kids have a natural eye for open sites. You want to keep the yardage short anyway so a scope is a moot point. You might also consider a 308 caliber. Personally, I grew up on the 30-30 open sites. (could pick the tic off a dogs back at 100 yards8) :biggrin: )

JT

tmarschall
11-24-2005, 08:25 PM
Some of my earliest memories are of being out with dad dove hunting. I think I might have been 3 at the time. But he didn't take me with him for deer untill I was 6 or so, but I do remember crying and throwing a fit when he would leave to go deer hunting and not take me with him. But alas... the bug has not caught on with the next generation:cry:. I have taken the kids (1 boy one girl) out and they seemed to have a good time, but its like they just didn't catch the fever if you know what I mean. They each have shot deer. Maybe they will grow into it some day. If I could do it over, I might start out by watching more hunting videos and get them hunting computer games to play. Who knows what the secret is... maybe some are just not the outdoors type.

Offroad
11-26-2005, 01:41 AM
I have taken my son out with me since he was 3 months old, mostly on scouting trips, or a drive with the wife. I have a 308 that I bought her and will have him use when he starts. I've heard about loading the 308 to 300 savage specs. Anyone have more info this load? I think the reduced recoil will make easier to adjust to a full load later without scaring him. Any opinions?

Gateholio
11-26-2005, 09:58 PM
One of the things you have to consider when taking ut kids is your (and your buddies) ethics.

You want them to understand what is right and wrong, as they are at an age that they will soak up info like a sponge.

If your buddy, Billy Bob Wondershot thinks it's okay to hammer animals out of the window of a truck, maybe he is not the guy you want your kids to be exposed to at a young age.

Lots of kids grow up to be just short of poachers, since they have seen thier fathers or his buddies do *questionable* things.

I know of a number of kids that really have no respect for wildlife, because they grew up with fathers that basiclaly taught them that the kil is more important than the hunt.

youngfellla
11-26-2005, 11:27 PM
243 or 257 Roberts are great starter rifles for young hunters. Don't go too big or they will develope a flinch they will never get rid of. I think around 6 or 7 is a good age to start.

We've got a picture of my brother and I sitting in the back of my dad's Dodge Powerwagon holding up the head of a big mulie that he shot, and his 6mm Remington, drinking a couple beers .......... Oh wait, that was last weekend! :?

Steeleco
11-26-2005, 11:32 PM
Steeleco whens your son going to be 10? we should organize a bear hunt for the spring...for the kids! my oldest turns 10 in Feb. Ex would be into that too
BC he turns 10, Feb 21, he's already told me I'm adding him to my club membership, he just hasn't told me which of the rifles he want's to adopt.
The Marlin 336 in 30-30 or the Ruger 1V in 6mm rem. He says he'll let me know later.!! He's his mothers son :mrgreen::mrgreen:

Byson
11-27-2005, 10:14 PM
I remember going hunting when i was 5yrs old, my dad didn't let me pack intill i was like 11 or 12. I remember playing toy guns as a kid and always want to clean out my kills it was probably funny to watch my Dad still talks about it.

Rob
11-30-2005, 04:02 PM
Their is a good article in this mos. Field and strem on this very topic and has some tips. Rob

rolie
11-30-2005, 11:41 PM
I took my son who had just turned three on two weekend deer hunts this year. He had a great time, talks about going again all the time. One of my two older boys (14&15) stayed with him in the truck for the kill and gutting, but he did not have a problem with the deer in the back on the way home. Its just limits your hunting to the road.

coho456
12-01-2005, 11:50 PM
My son started hunting when he was 10 years old,he shot a deer the first year.An elk and a deer the second year,a bull moose and a bull elk this year.He has yet to gut anything ,but helps quite a bit.

jeepingpw
12-02-2005, 10:25 PM
well started takin my oldest boy when he was 3.
Built him his first .410 shot gun when he was 5.
Ya I know they gotta be 10 to hunt, Bull S...
He got his Licence last year at 11, shot a 5x7 Bull Moose, big friggin moose, got 200 lbs of Hamb. plus steaks & roasts
This year at 12 he shot a 2x3 Muley (150 yard, 1 shot sitting) & a 5 point bull moose (1 shot , off hand at 75 yards).
Shoots a 20 ga Rem 870 for groose
Weatherby Vangaurd .308 , Bushnell 3-9x40 Elite 3200 ,for deer & moose
Armalite M15A2, 14" bbl - .223 , SKS - 7.62x39 Russian, & a
Norinco 1911- 9mm for competition
Also shoots black powder, T/C Senica, .45 cal

Isn't into drinkin or drugs, too busy shootin

Took my 2 year old son with us last year at 14 months, & this year for opening day junior season when my 12 year old shot his deer.
All he could say when we got home was
"Cody shoot deer, Cody shoot grouse."

Now he runs around the back yard with his pop gun "shootin the deers"

Never too young, my 4 month old son will be goin out next fall:grin:

farside
12-03-2005, 07:20 PM
Time to chime in with a "mom's" thoughts on this.

Get them out there as soon as you can. Children live what they learn. Keep it at their pace and if their enthusiam starts to give out don't push. My daughter was a better hunting partner at 4 than she is now at 13.

She is now an active hunter and uses my crossbow. Had her 1st buck in her sights this fall but he wouldn't present her with a good shot. When she was little she came with me all the time, at 13 she comes with me 1 in 10 times ( I get to hunt pretty much every day). If I get a deer I usually come home and get her to come and give me a hand. Get her to hold legs and such while I gut and she always helps to drag the animal out.

When they hit the teens (for girls at least) things kinda change a bit. There always seems to be "better things to do" but at least she still comes out once in a while. I just have to remind myself not to push cause at 13 they start to push back.

My life does impact her though. Heard her talking with a boy from school the other day. They were discussing the best calibre rifle to be using for island deer (both say 30-30). However - she smuggly informed the boy that "she prefers a crossbow as its up close and a challenge".

My daughter is going to be some poor man's worst nightmare come to life.

Elkhunter
12-03-2005, 08:34 PM
There is a lot of good advise given already. I can remember hunting grouse in a Volkswagon beetle when I was about 4 - 5 yrs. old. Now my brother and I have introduced his son at 10 to the joys of tracking,stalking,bugling elk. There is so much enjoyment out in the wilderness,whether it is camping,hiking,fishing,or hunting. Get out and enjoy !!!