PDA

View Full Version : tricanosis info?

Fixit
05-09-2009, 03:15 AM
so i got me a nice blacky at 615 last night, he's been skinned, 1/4'd and in the fridge. (beatyful claws and fur)

anyways while cutting out its esophegus, i noticed three white worms i think... about the thickness of fishing line, and about 3-4 inches long.

they seemed dead, did not move at all.
did i get a wormy bear?

what precautions should i take as far as freezing, cooking, or treatment it i was to get them?

hunter1947
05-09-2009, 05:33 AM
Most bears have worms in them cook the meat well at anytime as for when you take the meat out of the freezer and you will be fine.

mcrae
05-09-2009, 05:35 AM
They are Filarial worms. Very common in bears its not the same as Trichinosis but regardless you should always cook bear meat well done...

http://www.unbc.ca/nlui/wildlife_diseases_bc/bear_filarial_worm.htm

sawmill
05-09-2009, 05:46 AM
And that would be why I don`t eat bears anymore,even if you cook hell out of it,you are still eating the worms.Yeah I know deer and such can have `em too but I have`nt seen them crawling out of a roast while I was butchering.Had that with my last bear,friggen thing was crawling with threadworms.Shudder.

05-09-2009, 07:18 AM
Yeah I know deer and such can have `em too but I have`nt seen them crawling out of a roast while I was butchering.Had that with my last bear,friggen thing was crawling with threadworms.Shudder.

Come on now, fess up!! You have eaten worse and loved it!! :):)

PressurePoint
05-09-2009, 11:21 AM
Come on now, fess up!! You have eaten worse and loved it!! :):)

Ha, thank you, you totally made my saturday morning...

Fixit
05-09-2009, 11:48 AM
i sorta remember reading that the parasites die after freezing them for a month or so, is this true?

MichelD
05-09-2009, 11:59 AM
That's not trich.

Don't sweat it.

They're usually in the layers between the hide and the main carcass anyway.

And besides if you accidently eat a bit you can't catch anything. You'll be cooking all bear well done anyway.

Read this:

http://www.unbc.ca/nlui/wildlife_diseases_bc/bear_filarial_worm.htm