PDA

View Full Version : Region 5 Moose

FullDraw
05-08-2009, 08:59 PM
Looking for your thoughts of when the prime time for moose hunting is in region 5, late Sept-early Oct or early Oct to mid Oct.

Thanks in advance

FullDraw

leadpillproductions
05-08-2009, 09:01 PM
theres no more moose left there lol

Caveman
05-08-2009, 09:03 PM
Last week of Sept - First week of Oct. The Spike/Forks will be with the cows a little earlier or in bachelor groups. This has been my experiences anyways

FullDraw
05-08-2009, 09:03 PM
Come on there must be the odd on left in that region, I chased them up there from region 3:razz:

F/D

CanuckShooter
05-08-2009, 09:07 PM
Looking for your thoughts of when the prime time for moose hunting is in region 5, late Sept-early Oct or early Oct to mid Oct.

Thanks in advance

FullDraw

It depends a bit on the weather for being out during the rut, it can be delayed by warm weather.

Prime moose hunting starts on opening day...before all the spike/fork bulls get whacked [if you've got no leh].

Fisher-Dude
05-08-2009, 09:32 PM
What spike/fork season? There isn't one in region 5. You'll be bound by the seasons they offer on LEH. Good luck getting one. :-|

Late Sept early Oct is usually the best moose time.

DeerWhisperer
05-08-2009, 09:39 PM
Moose are extinct in region 5 as far as I am concerned

CanuckShooter
05-08-2009, 09:48 PM
What spike/fork season? There isn't one in region 5. You'll be bound by the seasons they offer on LEH. Good luck getting one. :-|

Late Sept early Oct is usually the best moose time.

And here I thought if I voted Liberal they'd give me an leh at least once?;-)

BillyBull
05-08-2009, 10:00 PM
Moose are not extinct in Region 5 -- what is ... is the effing LEH chances of ever getting drawn. There is some kinda black magic potion needed to break the spell over why some people seem to mysteriously always get one or those that get one and hunt many then ship them out.

jml11
05-08-2009, 10:16 PM
Moose are not extinct in Region 5 -- what is ... is the effing LEH chances of ever getting drawn. There is some kinda black magic potion needed to break the spell over why some people seem to mysteriously always get one or those that get one and hunt many then ship them out.

I find this humorous because if you look at the synopsis from this year the majority of the hunts in Region 5 had some of the best odds for moose hunts in all of BC last year. Many are even underutilized with odds less than 0.5:1. Maybe there is good reason for this, tough access, low moose numbers...I don't know the areas at all. Tip: put in for draws with 2-3:1 odds as a 4 member shared hunt and you are almost guaranteed to get the draw, especially if no one in the group is on reduced odds.

Moosehunter64
05-08-2009, 10:48 PM
I have hunted region 5 for over 20 years and last year was the first year we never filled all of our LEH tags,(Use to hunt there when you never needed a draw also)we had 4, 2 groups of 3 shared hunts 4 tags only got 2 moose but saw a ton of cows.Probably would have got more but some of my hunting partners had to go back to work before the draws ran out.Was the first draws we had gotten in 3 years and we all got drawn.LOL

bubba350
05-09-2009, 12:09 AM
My hunting partner has a cabin in reigon 5 and he gets his moose every wither its spike fork or leh. I was up there last year saw a ton of moose.

hunter1947
05-09-2009, 05:44 AM
Late sept is when I would hunt them ,there rutting then and will be lot easer to find http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon12.gif .

GoatGuy
05-09-2009, 06:09 AM
I find this humorous because if you look at the synopsis from this year the majority of the hunts in Region 5 had some of the best odds for moose hunts in all of BC last year. Many are even underutilized with odds less than 0.5:1. Maybe there is good reason for this, tough access, low moose numbers...I don't know the areas at all. Tip: put in for draws with 2-3:1 odds as a 4 member shared hunt and you are almost guaranteed to get the draw, especially if no one in the group is on reduced odds.

Some of the low odds hunts have had success rates of exactly 0% for a number of years for a reason. Don't even get me started................

Timbow
05-09-2009, 06:09 AM

Thanks in advance

FullDraw

If the regulations for Region 5 change for deer, plan on the early October draw that will coincide with the any buck season.

cheers

Timbow
05-09-2009, 06:12 AM
My hunting partner has a cabin in reigon 5 and he gets his moose every wither its spike fork or leh. I was up there last year saw a ton of moose.

Spike fork season?, Region 5?....they don't mix!

srupp
05-09-2009, 07:55 AM
-ALL moose here are LEH..
- there has been a lack of huntble #s for many years HOWEVER the last several years have seen a good increase in #s
-still serious poaching problem by certain segments of society..for moose for sale..:mad:
-best time is last of Sept..first 2 weeks of OCT. WHEN the frost hits..up untill then try water..lakes rivers streams creeks...when the frost hits.. cut blocks..

CALLING is still the BEST way to fill a moose tag up here..and the willow swamps and open fields is a exellent place to try..

steven

Blainer
05-09-2009, 08:10 AM
My hunting partner has a cabin in reigon 5 and he gets his moose every wither its spike fork or leh. I was up there last year saw a ton of moose.You don't want to be telling to many people your partner is harvesting immature moose in region 5 without an L.E.H.,as there is NO OPEN SEASON.:idea:

betteroffishing
05-09-2009, 08:15 AM
the perimiter of my in - laws fields are lined with moose sign some old some new , i assure you they are not extinct , though i have yet to see one up there .

cdub
05-09-2009, 10:39 AM
We've hunted there for the last 8yrs and have never been without at least one tag, usually 2 tags. The odd one is the lack of doe draws that have had better odds and we havent had one in three years.