Jelvis
05-09-2009, 11:57 AM
-------------------------------

Jelvis
05-09-2009, 04:11 PM
---------------------------

recoil
05-09-2009, 05:30 PM
Hey Jelvis, if the hunting is so good up there then how come the odds are so good on LEH draw? I was thinking of putting in for 3-46 as second choices for moose and anterles mule. What say you about the area just north of Mahood, can it be hunted by boat since there are no roads?

Jelvis
05-09-2009, 06:47 PM
-------------------------

Jelvis
05-09-2009, 08:06 PM

BigfishCanada
05-10-2009, 08:50 AM
Jelv, I built two cabins last year at Red Lake (3-29), and we took the quads from there and headed north towards the Bonaparte, I was surprised that we saw so many whitetails this year, I hunted the area 6-8 years ago and dont remeber ever seeing even one whitie.

I know one thing, if you go in from Red Lake (Behind Kamloops Airport) we saw BIG BIG deer, I didnt get one, but it was the first year I saw 6 point mule deer, and I did find a shed that would score over 200.

The locals all have trophy's on there barns up that way, wish I could afford to keep these lakefront cabins cause it sure would make a great regular deer hunting area!

If you guys want to see a ton of bear, for sure red lake, we have been seeing multiple beers per cut block up that area.

Jelvis
05-10-2009, 10:53 AM
------------------------------

Kirby
05-10-2009, 11:21 AM
Clearwater lake can be driven to til big heavy snow.
Late season best from this particular road.
Opened usually up to the Murtle River
Another road from Blue River into Murtle

Right, except the clearwater lake road has a 400m shooting restriction... good luck.

Oh and the road into murlte closese early because of snow usually, and it goes into 3-45 which is closed to hunting.

mrdoog
05-10-2009, 11:24 AM
Hunters looking for big game should choose the location and the part of hunting season condusive for success.

Now I know what I'm doing incorrectly, looking in the wrong spots at the wrong time of the year!
Just that easy!

Jelvis
05-10-2009, 11:49 AM
------------------------

Jelvis
05-10-2009, 05:10 PM
----------------------------

dana
05-10-2009, 09:24 PM
You can hunt grizzly and caribou above timberline in Wells Gray??? Didn't know they were open in 3-45. Because Jelly says so it must be true eh?

Jelvis
05-10-2009, 09:59 PM
--------------------------

dana
05-10-2009, 10:10 PM
Ohh, so you aren't talking about hunting then. You are just babbling on about hiking. I just didn't want to see the 1 or 2 HBC members that actually think you know your stuff to be charged with poaching a grizz or a caribou in Wells Gray is all. Carry on with your uneducated ramblings and we will see how many poor saps put in for those great Wells Gray moose odds. I'm tired of answering the post LEH questions regarding the worst LEH moose hunt in BC. This year I will dirrect them all to call you and I'm sure those with the amazing luck to draw one of the 80 tags at 1:1 will see more than the usual 2 or 3 moose killed. Damn, I wish I had of thought to put in for that super hunt once again. If only I had of had the info of the Great and Mighty Jelly, I may have actually seen a moose the last 2 times I had the tag.

Jelvis
05-10-2009, 10:41 PM
---------------------------

Jelvis
05-11-2009, 02:00 PM
-----------------------

dino
05-12-2009, 09:14 PM
Jelly you need to change the bait in your trap because you keep catching the same Little mouse with the same old squeaky whine..........

dino
05-12-2009, 09:15 PM
AKA.Big boy

Jelvis
05-12-2009, 10:04 PM

ghost
05-13-2009, 04:58 PM
Jelvis good info, I am thinking about region 3-36 any info would be great. I am primarily intrested in big mulies. Does area hold any. thanks

dana
05-13-2009, 08:13 PM
Dino,
News Flash!!!! Hot off the press!!!! 3-46 best moose hunting in the province!!!! 40 tags in Oct at 1:1.4 odds. 30 tags in Nov at 1:1.1 odds. Easy tag to draw!!! All put in now!!!! Big bulls to be had!!! 40 inchers seen everyday!!! 60 inchers if you hold out!!!! The time is NOW!!!! Fill your cards out and you will receive that elusive tag!!!! Best Moose hunting in the province!!!! Jelly says so, must be so!!!! News Flash!!!! It's Gray not Grey. It's a Well that doesn't run dry. It's the Water that runs Clear. It's the Water that runs Black and Still. 6kms of the best moose hunting a man can get.

Salty
05-13-2009, 08:31 PM
Iz ther any place with good trout fish'n out there in Clearwater 2 ? I hear there's good fish'n. Man, bucks bulls and trout. That's what I'm talkin about! I've always been too busy taking *massive* muleys to worry about fish'n. Or moose for that matter. lol This year I have a little more time on my hands tho. To fish and hunt, ok. ..

Jelvis
05-13-2009, 09:11 PM
------------------------

Islandeer
05-13-2009, 09:52 PM
Jel did you pass your jug to Dana? He's speakin kamloopian ... :confused:

Angel
05-14-2009, 07:22 AM
Hey Jel great thread and thanks for all the helpful info. You post a few of these good informative hunting terrain threads each new season and its great. Especially for members learning new areas. Thanks Jel!

mark
05-14-2009, 08:13 AM
Hey Jel great thread and thanks for all the helpful info. You post a few of these good informative hunting terrain threads each new season and its great. Especially for members learning new areas. Thanks Jel!

Take it all with a grain of salt! These Jel threads are for entertainment purpose only!!! Danas just playin along, practicing his jel talk!
Everything you learn here can be found in a BC backroads mapbook!

Angel
05-14-2009, 08:24 AM
I know but its nice to see Jel helping out and hopefully giving some useful advise. However i am still waiting for the picture of the monster mulie from the train tracks...... eh Jel???

CT.45
05-14-2009, 02:32 PM
Don't paint all of us from Kamloops with the same brush please. There is great fishing on the Clearwater River, but it does not open until end of June or July 15. Hunting in Wells Grey Park is no longer allowed. A couple of years ago, the regs stated that you could carry firearms in the park only during hunting season, now no firearms are allowed at all.

dino
05-14-2009, 03:23 PM
Hey angel, Jelly does help out lots of new and old hunters.I personally enjoy his posts as do many others.heres some food for thought. I can remember when I lived on the island, we just came back from limiting out on salmon and halibut, we were at the boat launch when a couple of young guys who just came back skunked, asked me what they were doing wrong. I told them where to go and what to use and how deep. I even gave them a couple of cop car spoons to use because its what the fish were only biting on ,otherwise they would have had to drive 3 or 4 hours to go buy some. After they drove away, a couple of pissed off fisherman came up to me and started to give me shat for telling the young guys what to use and that I should keep my mouth shut. I saw the same guys on the water earlier that morning . They were catching lots of fish too.
Angel if you sit back and read into who posts what, what they have to say and how they carry themselves, you can plainly see that jel carrys himself well and never says anything bad about anyone, he is just trying to help some guys catch some fish to. Theres lots of fish in the ocean and animals in the bush for everone. Maybe he is right! and the guys on here that are trashing him are like the po'ed fisherman that were getting mad at me.Maybe Jelvis has touched a nerve by giving away good spots where these guys like to go, or maybe jelly is just getting to old and the trash talkers are right, But like I said earlier, sit back,pay attention and read into who is saying what.
By the way those guys that I helped out, caught their limit the next day. Were still friends to this day and one of them just invited me and the wife to their wedding ,he also became an awesome fisherman.

Angel
05-14-2009, 03:39 PM
I know thats why i said thanks for the helpful thread.;) Jelly's been nothing but a gentleman to me:smile:

Kirby
05-14-2009, 03:55 PM
Hunting in Wells Grey Park is no longer allowed. A couple of years ago, the regs stated that you could carry firearms in the park only during hunting season, now no firearms are allowed at all.

Wrong. You can still hunt Wells gray.

Kirby

Jelvis
05-14-2009, 04:40 PM
------------------------

dana
05-14-2009, 06:14 PM
Jelly's info is very spotty and indeed needs to be taken with a grain of salt. Just take his latest post on here. He says Foghorn connects into Granite. While the map might show what looks like a road, in reality, there is only a steep sled trail that connects the 2. If you were to follow Jelly's directions you'd get lost or worse yet, stuck or in a rollover trying to drive your truck up the sled trail. There are sled trails that connect Hasheak, Foghorn and Granite but not driveable roads. If you want to go up Granite you'll have to take Jones Creek FSR to get there. Prime Sheep Country though. Several thousand of them summer up there. If you are lookin for sheep look up Granite. ;)

Jelvis
05-14-2009, 06:32 PM
----------------------

Ruger4
05-14-2009, 06:38 PM
jelly and the jelltones , your cracking me up man , you should write a book jello , fuel the fire , loving this thread , keep going it's still early !!! :tongue:

dana
05-14-2009, 06:40 PM
Jelly,
While you troll you sometimes hook bottom that leads you to believe you got yourself a big fish on. Start reeling and see what you pull in.

Jelvis
05-14-2009, 07:20 PM

SUAFOYT
05-14-2009, 07:41 PM
Don't paint all of us from Kamloops with the same brush please. There is great fishing on the Clearwater River, but it does not open until end of June or July 15. Hunting in Wells Grey Park is no longer allowed. A couple of years ago, the regs stated that you could carry firearms in the park only during hunting season, now no firearms are allowed at all.

Hate to burst your bubble but MU 3-46 (Well Gray Park) is open to hunting. Hunt code 4086 for LEH moose.

mark
05-14-2009, 09:19 PM
Hey Jellyman.... why dont you show us some pics of big bucks youve taken in these places in the past????? All this talk, and no pics to back it up??? Im callin yer bluff, or rocky bluff if you prefer ;).

Jelvis
05-14-2009, 09:27 PM
----------------------------

mark
05-14-2009, 09:45 PM
Why don't you start helping someone by saying the roads you hunt on?
Marcus delectie lol, oh oh I bet you won't, never mind the pictures let's hear the roads, names and numbers, the real ones not made up ones then we'll see who's bluffin who? lol bet you could'nt even give your places away not even the top three. lmao. How do I know those pictures are yours in the first place lol. Ok start a thread on hunting near Kelowna or where ever you go if you hunt. lol.
Jel -- How come it went silent all of a sudden lol. Ahhh Still waiting?

Doesnt seem to matter where I tell people I hunt, no-one believes me anyway! :lol:
My pics.... well I suppose it helps that im in alot of em, I think that makes em mine!
As for hunting around Kelowna, there are no secrets left, there is no "best spot" big bucks come from just about everywhere around here. Like I tell people all the time, play spin the bottle and head up the nearest logging road, the odds are the same!
So why dont you show us some pics, Ive done more than my share here over the years!

dana
05-14-2009, 09:49 PM
Jelly,
We all know your tactics. While you may appear to be helping fellow hunters out, you are doing the exact opposite. You are stearing people away from your hidey holes and trying to get them to go anywhere and everywhere else. Your intent is far from the noble ideals that you make them out to be. And on top of that, your info is poor at best. Over the years you have pretty much named every drainge in Region 3 and every road system. Do you think that by naming them all, someday you might find my hunting spots. There are tons of areas that you list that I hunt. Pick any one. The pics of those sheds that you think were from Foghorn, think again. You are close, but the wrong side of the valley. Those pics were taken at about 3 km on McCorvie Lakes FSR. Pretty much right about my house. Muley Crazy Mag wanted some good pics of my MNT sheds to add to the article. I picked that spot for the photoshoot because I had good light when I go home from work that day and it was close to home. If you look in the background you will see the opposite side of the valley. Look on Google Earth and piece the cutblocks together. That should be a fun chore for you.
So where does Dana hunt? Dude, I've told ya many a times before, I hunt south of Kamloops to north of McBride, west into Region 5 and East to the Shuswap and beyond. Keep on listing names and you will keep on listing areas I hunt.

Maxx
05-14-2009, 10:07 PM
Jelly,
We all know your tactics. While you may appear to be helping fellow hunters out, you are doing the exact opposite. You are stearing people away from your hidey holes and trying to get them to go anywhere and everywhere else. Your intent is far from the noble ideals that you make them out to be. And on top of that, your info is poor at best. Over the years you have pretty much named every drainge in Region 3 and every road system. Do you think that by naming them all, someday you might find my hunting spots. There are tons of areas that you list that I hunt. Pick any one. The pics of those sheds that you think were from Foghorn, think again. You are close, but the wrong side of the valley. Those pics were taken at about 3 km on McCorvie Lakes FSR. Pretty much right about my house. Muley Crazy Mag wanted some good pics of my MNT sheds to add to the article. I picked that spot for the photoshoot because I had good light when I go home from work that day and it was close to home. If you look in the background you will see the opposite side of the valley. Look on Google Earth and piece the cutblocks together. That should be a fun chore for you.
So where does Dana hunt? Dude, I've told ya many a times before, I hunt south of Kamloops to north of McBride, west into Region 5 and East to the Shuswap and beyond. Keep on listing names and you will keep on listing areas I hunt.

But Dana??? I thought you posted a map of all the area's that you hunt a few years ago? Did Jelly not see that post?? If he had, he could stop guessing, right?

dana
05-14-2009, 10:35 PM
I posted up a map??? Did I??? Damn, I guess the secret is out. I guess I shouldn't have been drinkin' that day. ;)

CT.45
05-15-2009, 11:18 AM
Hate to burst your bubble but MU 3-46 (Well Gray Park) is open to hunting. Hunt code 4086 for LEH moose.

Is it only LEH moose? I didn't even look at the LEH, I thought I read in the regs that 3-46 was no hunting...... 3
Now I know one more LEH I have to put in for, thanks.

Jelvis
05-15-2009, 01:12 PM
-----------------------

Kirby
05-15-2009, 05:34 PM
Is it only LEH moose? I didn't even look at the LEH, I thought I read in the regs that 3-46 was no hunting...... 3
Now I know one more LEH I have to put in for, thanks.

LMAO, put in for it, then when you draw it ask Dana about how easy it is to hunt... hmmm 1:1 odds I wonder why???

Good luck with the moose.

Kirby

Jelvis
05-15-2009, 08:24 PM
---------------------

dino
05-15-2009, 10:01 PM
Hey jel do you know anything about the trophy mountain buck hill area? Im thinking about doing a summer backpack trip with the wife up there.we pick a diffrent spot every summer Of course I will be scouting too.Trophy mountain, trophy meadows,buck hill, this all sounds like old names from honey holes years past when you could hunt there. Is it pretty busy in the summer up there or nice and quiet. If anyone could help out it would be appreciated.

dana
05-15-2009, 10:21 PM
Dino,
The Trophies are a jewel in the Wells Gray hikes. The meadows are spectacular and have various stages of blooms. It is very popular with both the tourists and the locals. On average a couple hundred hikers a day, with some of the busy summer times pushing 500+ hikers a day. Easy hike. Good one to take the family on. Bugs can be brutal at times, but once you get higher, the wind will take them away. As for scouting, all alpine is in the Conservatory, which is 3-45. No hunting allowed.
Buck hill is a cool and interesting feature. It is an old volcano that erupted under ice during an ice age, which gives it a cone shape. It was overlooked by Parks and was not included within the Park Boundary. It currently has a mineral claim on it for landscaping rock and there have been many a protest to protect it. The latest effort is trying to make it a World Heritage Site as well as the rest of Wells Gray. There are better volcanos within Wells Gray and personally don't see what the fuss is about a little hill with a bunch of red and dead pine on it. But it does look like they have got the Province behind the proposal to save Buck Hill and it probably will get World Heritage Site Status.

Jelvis
05-15-2009, 10:23 PM
-----------------------

dana
05-15-2009, 10:31 PM
Jelly,
Again poor information. Those 2 road systems do not connect. Sorry to burst your bubble but you can't do it even with a quad. They might look close on a map but the close roads have full bench deactivation with no quad access left behind. Sorry pard, but if you are going to hand out info, at least take to the time to see if that info is current. Your book from the 70's doesn't fall into that catagory.

Who wants to go hunting for big mule deer buck? Just past Clearwater. Not far off the highways and bi-ways just 6 km or so past Dutch Lake on the hwy 5 pardner, yahya. Turn up north (left) about 6 km past Dutch Lake. Mt McClennan fsr is the road up and hunt for bucks.
It's in Mu 3-40 that fsr hooks up with old cart roads and trails that connect with Noblequartz Creek BAM! Also if you have two trucks or vehicles especially a fancy quad or two one goes up McCorvie Lakes fsr and cuts across shorty to meet the other guys from McClennan.
Take a four hunter group with two hunters in each vehicle, drive up in elevation on side roads off the main and park and walk across towards each other. The top of McClennan is 1676 m. Not high at all.
Check out your map and go for it. Co-ordinate the hunt with your partners and have a riot. Learn the area and it will produce hunting memories for a lifetime.
The distance between the two fsr's in area is not a humungus size to get to know after three seasons of hunts up there you'll feel better about the lay of the land. In those initial hunts you'll nail a good buck or two.
This particular area is known to houze some fine specimens of mule deer with big antlers too, which is a bonus.
One thing I would do is get your hunting party together over a preseason get together study a map or topo, how the roads go up and where some smaller roads shoot off, measure the distance on the map and write them down and make a plan and stick with it as much as possible.
Also go around the end of October to the end of the season. If there is snow when you go in you'll tell whats what and where's where. You'll do great anyways and have a super time, it's close to the hwy 5 and the drive up on the highway will be fairly quick and then turn up the fsr's with a plan.
Jel -- Good hunting and have a great time seeing the muley's.

Jelvis
05-15-2009, 10:53 PM

dana
05-16-2009, 08:34 AM
Jelly

**** ***!!!

dino
05-16-2009, 08:51 AM
Thanks for the Info boys the wife likes the idea of a nice gradual hike in and hopefully I can take some nice pics and vids of animal life.AS for the hunting thing , my season will not be a good one, im building a cabin and its a slow go, I imagine my hunts will be short local ones.

Jelvis
05-19-2009, 05:32 PM
--------------------

Brambles
06-29-2009, 05:30 PM
gotta bring this one back up to the top.

Round 2 gents. Lets hear some more Wells Gray babble jellyroll hummdingerattabattabingbang.

silvertipp
06-29-2009, 08:49 PM
i have hunted the upper thompson for goat,beatifil country did see lots of moose
also hunti mahood spanish mtn area for griz saw lots of cariboo but no moose
& we did not see many deer in either location

Jelvis
08-31-2009, 01:05 PM
Ok who's going to the top early this season, high in the mountains where the animals are. Up Chu-Chua Mountain --Foghorn Mountain 1981 meters up in Mu 3-38 is great don't be late - or in 3-39
--Up behind Star Lake above Grizzly Lakes. Or camp a week at Swayback-
----Way back on Swayback Ridge in from above Moira Lake system of roads ---
Ahhh paradise to see once in a lifetime moments --MU 3--39 is anytime for big tine really fine -
West out of Clearwater on Star Lake Road and way back to Swayback bucks -+ your not alone
Mu 3-39 Lizard Head mountain and Gablehause Lake early don't go squirrely - early or late -
or get a big buck at Sock Lake closer to the Clearwater river turn right as you start up Star Lake road then turn right up 1 A and go a simple 25 k or so and it's a Bam Sam thank you mam for the big buck slam just above the Canyon Creek trail and Garter creek runs, down with a drainage no brainage think -- it's Clearwater river gold, silver and bronze a medal for your record booker -- a second looker -- a drop tiner from - 3-39'r -
----------------- the Clearwater valley the mule deer valley for you to rally your friends -don't dilly dally -
Jelly - rock em and sock em all season long at Sock Lake, mu 3-39'r could'nt be finer than 3-39'r - Sock it to me --

Jelvis
11-12-2009, 04:19 PM

BCBigGame
11-13-2009, 09:54 AM
Holy crap, I need 10 years of vacation to hunt half the areas you've metioned!

I was planning on coming to 'loops this weekend, do you have any suggestions on an area within a 150km where I should NOT hunt?

Jelvis
11-19-2009, 11:10 PM
----------------------