PDA

View Full Version : south country turkeys

ferndogger
05-07-2009, 06:34 PM
So I just got my hunting license about 2 weeks ago, and thought I would treat myself with a new Bowtech Tomkat. Work has been slow so I have been lucky enough to be able to spend the last week turkey hunting down Dorr Road in the south country. Only seen 8 turkeys all week, all of them too far away for me to get a decent shot. One was a massive Tom bigger then any other turkey I have ever seen, unfortunatly he seen me and bolted right away. I tried calling them in, but they seemed pretty weary, maybe from the heavy hunting traffic. Just wondering if anyone could point me in a better direction down there, I was at the end of Dorr Road, by lake Koocanusa, but there is heavy dirtbike and atv traffic all around. I heard down by Grasmere was pretty good. Any help would be great as I have to work this weekend then get all next week off to try to bag me a Tom before the season ends. Thanks for the help.

ferndogger
05-07-2009, 07:07 PM
lol. I have a feeling that wouldnt work out to well. But I might be able to get some cheap smokes while Im there.

model88
05-07-2009, 08:10 PM
Ferndogger, if you come in from the Dorr cuttoff, about 2k in look for a road off to the left, if you follow it will eventually take you to Loon lake. Stop anywhere along here and start walkin the ridges and calling. Or come in from the Grasmere side, between Edwards and Loon, same thing walk the ridges and call. I had good luck in that area a few weeks ago. Or try the other side of the lake around Straus rd. Good luck.

ferndogger
05-07-2009, 08:35 PM
Hey Model88, thanks for the tip. I was thinking around Loon Lake, but just wanted to see if anyone had any luck down there. I talked to one guy who said that he had some good luck on the other side of the highway around Grasmere. I will let you know how it goes when I getg back next friday.