PDA

View Full Version : Atv Help Needed(duncan)

Thing
05-07-2009, 04:25 PM
Ok I just got a new atv shipped to me and after half a day I feel like the biggest idiot on earth. I cannot for the life of me get the tie rods attached. I have done this before in cars and although i never liked the job i always got it done. I can get one side but then the other side just wont go in. I am tottaly lost. If anyone has some ideas or is in Duncan and bored i could really use any help you might have to offer.Thanks guys

trapperdan2061
05-07-2009, 07:52 PM
BIGGER HAMMER !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

is there a right and left or are they the same?

OOBuck
05-07-2009, 08:21 PM
Private message sent

mikethemilkman
05-07-2009, 08:25 PM
what kind of quad? rods same length? need any extra tools pm me maybe i can help.:biggrin::biggrin:

Fixit
05-07-2009, 08:28 PM
what exactally is the problem?

is it that you cant tighten the nut because the taper is spinning in the knuckle? If so try using a large pair of waterpump pliers, compressing the taper into the knuckle. that usually provides enough friction that the tierod end nut can be tightened.

is this one of the chineese cheepie kits?

killman
05-07-2009, 08:29 PM
Need pics to figure out what you talking about.

Thing
05-07-2009, 10:05 PM
its a china jobby fairly good one though 300cc 4x2 just got the tie rods in place but the alighnment isnt even close yet. machine seems to be built tough enough and since really 2400 was all i could aford and you cant even get a good used domestic for 2400 this was my only choice. I do always belive in the bigger hammer quote btw LOL

huntcoop
05-07-2009, 10:40 PM
its a china jobby...... just got the tie rods in place...

I have isolated your 2 major problems. Made in China and it being a do-it-yourself quad.

Thing
05-08-2009, 09:02 AM
I have isolated your 2 major problems. Made in China and it being a do-it-yourself quad.

*LOL* very true but the one thing not a problem is the price differnce LOL

huntcoop
05-08-2009, 09:15 AM
*LOL* very true but the one thing not a problem is the price differnce LOL

Touche....

leatherlungs
05-08-2009, 09:16 AM
I havent seen to many people have good luck with those made in china machines. I personally would never buy one but like you say when you have a $2400 budget what else can you do. I sincerely hope it works out for you.

BillyBull
05-08-2009, 08:17 PM
You could always try the gang in the http://quads.ca/ they might have some experts who would help you out.... good luck.

Gope
05-08-2009, 08:26 PM
i have the 250 baja quad out of canadian tire, it runs perfectly have had zero issues with it, its only a 2wd and there is only 1 hill i know of that i cannot climb might have changed now that there is no more snow and mud on the trail.

born2hunt
05-08-2009, 08:35 PM
ones left and ones right hand threads

gary murray
05-09-2009, 07:09 AM
I havent seen to many people have good luck with those made in china machines. I personally would never buy one but like you say when you have a $2400 budget what else can you do. I sincerely hope it works out for you.
I agree with you. My buddy buys quads from a site called Giovanni who are based in Burnaby and they are all made in China. The welds tend to break and you have to pretty much go over every nut and screw and re-tighten it as they end up dropping off on you. Oddly enough i ended up buying a quad back in February at a dealership here for $2400.00. It was a used Yamaha 1994 4x4 Timberwolf so they are out there if you stumble across them.

Gary

OOBuck
05-09-2009, 07:24 AM
I agree with you. My buddy buys quads from a site called Giovanni who are based in Burnaby and they are all made in China. The welds tend to break and you have to pretty much go over every nut and screw and re-tighten it as they end up dropping off on you. Oddly enough i ended up buying a quad back in February at a dealership here for $2400.00. It was a used Yamaha 1994 4x4 Timberwolf so they are out there if you stumble across them.

Gary

I sell Gio machines, dozens of them and have never seen a weld break, might have something to do with the end user? Gio now come with a 6 month engine & one year parts warranty, same as the big guys. Here's the problem, Gio has gone around marketing the product wrong like sending them out to the end consumer NOT assembled. When we assemble them we install a new NGK spark plug, go over the entire maching and tighten all nuts and bolts, locktite known problemactic bolts, put sythethic oil in them and I have never had one come back other than a dead battery... So unless your buddy is a mechanic I can understand him having problems..

gary murray
05-09-2009, 08:10 AM
I sell Gio machines, dozens of them and have never seen a weld break, might have something to do with the end user? Gio now come with a 6 month engine & one year parts warranty, same as the big guys. Here's the problem, Gio has gone around marketing the product wrong like sending them out to the end consumer NOT assembled. When we assemble them we install a new NGK spark plug, go over the entire maching and tighten all nuts and bolts, locktite known problemactic bolts, put sythethic oil in them and I have never had one come back other than a dead battery... So unless your buddy is a mechanic I can understand him having problems..
No he's not a mechanic but i'm a welder and had to re-weld a couple places on his bike. I also had to do a couple of weld jobs on another guys Gio but on the other hand like you said, it could be the users fault as these guys really like to ride hard. The other problem he says he had is problems with the chain. Can't remember though if he said it broke or if it gets thrown off all the time until he replaced it.

houndogger
05-09-2009, 09:23 AM
Well it is like anything you get what you pay for. I would not buy one for myself cause I would break it in half. I did buy one for my 5 year old girl though. Good enough for her to learn to ride around the yard on:wink: