PDA

View Full Version : Calling Bears ?

leadpillproductions
05-07-2009, 12:49 PM
Has any one had success calling bears with a distress call. Does it work better in the spring or fall

Gateholio
05-07-2009, 01:35 PM
Works best when you have spotted a bear at some distance, and the wind is in your favour. Also, when you are in an area where you are pretty sure there is a bear lurking about, but can't see him.

Be careful, it can bring in unseen bears, too.

Rock Doctor
05-07-2009, 03:27 PM
I've called in some Black Bears with a "wounded rabbit" call, but never called any big ones in.
I've noticed that some Bears will dive for the nearest cover when they hear the call, then work there way as close to the call as they can under cover. When they are as close as they can get without being seen, they make a quick rush out into the open, then stand for a look around.
It's really amaizing how fast they cover ground. I've had them pop out of the brush within about 15ft of me, from a place that I never thought they could get to without me seeing them.

MichelD
05-07-2009, 03:35 PM
I've got a Haydel bear call that has made some bears appear out of the woodwork on occasion, one stood up in thick cover to look around, and on other times when experimenting on a young bear grazing in a ditch for example, sent it scooting for cover.

srupp
05-07-2009, 06:41 PM
I have called in black bears..nothing big but several bears...with a distress rabbit call....one came in running...

steven

steepNdeep
05-07-2009, 08:47 PM
Called in several w/ rabbit in distress call. They've never come runnin', but it usually brings them back if they wander into the forest and aren't too spooked. Decent sized bears...