PDA

View Full Version : taxidermy cleaning

BCHunterFSJ
05-07-2009, 11:13 AM
What do you guys use to clean your mounts with? Mine are getting somewhat "greasy"... Are there any special products available??

gamehunter6o
05-07-2009, 12:54 PM
What do you guys use to clean your mounts with? Mine are getting somewhat "greasy"... Are there any special products available??

I just vacume the dust off. As for the grease, might I suggest not hanging mounts in the kitchen. Also, big "fry ups" aren't good for the heart.:lol:

high and to the right
05-07-2009, 03:20 PM
When ever one of my mounts gets dusty. I take that as a sign that I should go out and shoot a fresher one. lol

Never heard of greasy unless it is in the kitchen or a poor mounting job. I had a pig done (Black European Boar) which has very little hair and the taxidermist did a bad job so it looks and feels greasy. The good part was that he did it cheap. Dust is very common and a light vacuum (or reverse it and blow the hair to fluff it up) works well.

northern
05-07-2009, 09:52 PM
It depends on what mounts you are talking about ,there are different ways of cleaning different species.

ramcam
05-11-2009, 01:33 PM
Take a Swiffer duster and go lightly over the hair and it will lift the dust off nicely, works on all my mounts.

newhunterette
05-11-2009, 01:42 PM
I just tell people the antlers are back in velvet when dusty hehehehe

I use swiffer duster on antlers and a light vaccum for fur in the direction of the fur not against it

as for grease - not sure what to use there

Wild Images
05-11-2009, 01:46 PM
a cloth dampened with windex and wiped with the direction of the hair should do the trick.

BCHunterFSJ
05-11-2009, 02:44 PM
Thank you, everybody! And yes, gamehunter60, I will avoid hanging my mounts in the kitchen from now on...

MOWITCH SLAYER
05-11-2009, 05:07 PM
A warm damp cloth. Wiping in the same direction as the hair. Advice from my taxidermist . Hope it works ! I'd try hot water before i put any cleaners on your mounts.