PDA

View Full Version : Changes to Elk for Region 7A

kgriz
05-06-2009, 09:19 PM
I heard in the wind for the last 6 months that changes to 3 point or better were being considered for region 7A if not all parts of the province but then I see they added a bunch of cow LEH seasons so maybe this was an alternate plan......I don't really want a reiteration of the arguments for or against....does anybody "in the know" know anything about this??? Any conditions on PM's will be honored.8-)

hunter1947
05-07-2009, 05:55 AM
Its news to me ,never heard anything about this.

jml11
05-07-2009, 08:11 AM
The cow LEH seasons aren't really new, they just changed it from either sex to antlerless only, but why I don't know, maybe too many bulls were being shot? Or maybe it is to focus harvest on the cows instead of opening a 3-point season as you've suggested?

todbartell
05-07-2009, 08:26 AM
they just changed it from either sex to antlerless only, but why I don't know, maybe too many bulls were being shot?

just about everyone who got the 7-13 LEH last winter took a mature 6 pt bull

jml11
05-07-2009, 01:02 PM
just about everyone who got the 7-13 LEH last winter took a mature 6 pt bull

Not suprised by this, and the rest were probably smaller bulls. The bios should have expected this since elk are herd animals, especially in the winter and we, as hunters, typically choose to harvest males when given the choice, and usually the biggest one we can get our cross-hairs on.

30 elk standing in a field, one herd 6 point bull a few small satellite bulls and the rest cows/calves/spikes....which one you gonna take :lol:.

BCrams
05-07-2009, 01:05 PM
30 elk standing in a field, one herd 6 point bull a few small satellite bulls and the rest cows/calves/spikes....which one you gonna take :lol:.

The calf........definately the calf. :biggrin:

Best eating of the entire lot.

jml11
05-07-2009, 01:07 PM
The calf........definately the calf. :biggrin:

Best eating of the entire lot.

You liar. :razz:

PGK
05-07-2009, 06:29 PM
3pt or better would get me out hunting elk.....

bridger
05-07-2009, 10:19 PM
the goabc recently presented a paper titled the economic viabiity of the guiding industry to the ministry of enviornment. in it they stated that it is important to the guiding industry that hunting seasons be set for trophy hunting and not meat hunting meaning no small bull seasons etc. until this is sorted out i doubt very much if we will see a 3pt season in 7a or anywhere else.

Fisher-Dude
05-07-2009, 11:32 PM
3pt or better would get me out hunting elk.....

Yet you vehemently opposed the call for 3 point seasons on here when the topic came up, saying it would be a slaughter.

I'm not sure why you set yourself up for abuse soooooooo readily. :shock:

GoatGuy
05-07-2009, 11:36 PM
the goabc recently presented a paper titled the economic viabiity of the guiding industry to the ministry of enviornment. in it they stated that it is important to the guiding industry that hunting seasons be set for trophy hunting and not meat hunting meaning no small bull seasons etc. until this is sorted out i doubt very much if we will see a 3pt season in 7a or anywhere else.

Maybe elk on LEH?

PGK
05-07-2009, 11:53 PM
Yet you vehemently opposed the call for 3 point seasons on here when the topic came up, saying it would be a slaughter.

I'm not sure why you set yourself up for abuse soooooooo readily. :shock:

Exactly when did I do that? Exactly....because I've never disagreed with 3 point seasons.....

Fisher-Dude
05-08-2009, 06:10 AM
Exactly when did I do that? Exactly....because I've never disagreed with 3 point seasons.....

Hmm, where do I start?

Everybody knows that. But he is pushing for blanket slaughter regulations which (in mine and I'm sure KES's eyes) vastly decrease the enjoyment we get out of hunting. I certainly avoid areas of high hunter density because I hate running into other hunters. If FD gets his regulations, it will be a friggin slaughter in 4 for the next couple years, like the one you participated in up in 7B. I'm 100% certain you don't feel guilty about whacking 5 elk in 7B, but I bet if they opened that season up in your back yard, you'd be pretty choked!
Do you blame KES for wanting some actual management of elk populations? Instead of 'oh hey the elk numbers are up, time to slaughter em so they don't go to "waste" '

hunter1947
05-08-2009, 07:12 AM
I don't know much about the elk in region 7A.

This is what I would like to see done if they do open it up for 3 or better.

(A) Implement a two week season for 3 points elk or better.
(B) Have the season opener for 3 points late in the year.
(C) Make it monitory compulsory check for the first 2 years
then after the two years see how the population is holding up.

When there are an abundance of animals within any species and the game management does open it up for smaller point restrictions they should do it slowly for the first couple years.

If the game management did open up a season for 3 or better for an extended time and say there was a slaughter there is no turning the clock back ,damage is already done and it might take years for the elk population to make a recovery.

I know that if there was a 3 point season for elk opening in 7A you know where I would be headed as for thousand others;).

The Hermit
05-08-2009, 07:41 AM
Hmm, where do I start?

Originally Posted by PGK
Everybody knows that. But he is pushing for blanket slaughter regulations which (in mine and I'm sure KES's eyes) vastly decrease the enjoyment we get out of hunting. I certainly avoid areas of high hunter density because I hate running into other hunters. If FD gets his regulations, it will be a friggin slaughter in 4 for the next couple years, like the one you participated in up in 7B. I'm 100% certain you don't feel guilty about whacking 5 elk in 7B, but I bet if they opened that season up in your back yard, you'd be pretty choked!
Do you blame KES for wanting some actual management of elk populations? Instead of 'oh hey the elk numbers are up, time to slaughter em so they don't go to "waste"

http://www.members.shaw.ca/btozer/icon_owned.gif :twisted:

Elkaholic
05-08-2009, 07:54 AM
What I really like is how the GOABC decides that the province should not try to make seasons better for the residents because it "could" impact them. Typical bs, most people if given the chance will harvest the first legal animal they can for some meat. Granted you will still get trophy hunters going after the big guy. But I fail to see how the change would bug them if their clients only want a trophy and that is all they go after. There is more than enough elk to go around. And trust me if the GOABC could they would put bull elk on LEH.

riflebuilder
05-08-2009, 08:04 AM
I support a resident 3 point or better season with th rut part of the hunts being 6 point only. I also would support higer Cow LEH or a limited open season for cows maybe a 3 or 4 day season if needed to get thecow numbers down.

bridger
05-08-2009, 08:06 AM
Maybe elk on LEH?

let me get this straight! residents go on leh so non residents can kill big bulls? I don't think so!

BCrams
05-08-2009, 09:39 AM
[quote=hunter1947;456290]I don't know much about the elk in region 7A.

Last 2 weeks of the current 6 pt season.

You mean mandatory. Probably don't need to.

When there are an abundance of animals within any species and the game management does open it up for smaller point restrictions they should do it slowly for the first couple years.

I know that if there was a 3 point season for elk opening in 7A you know where I would be headed as for thousand others;).

Actually, they should open up a 3 pt opportunity at the same time as Region 4 with coinciding dates. 'Harmonizing' so to speak. Spread out the hunting pressure province wide and avoid the snowballing of people.

mark
05-08-2009, 09:55 AM
let me get this straight! residents go on leh so non residents can kill big bulls? I don't think so!

Isnt this how our moose hunting works in the south???? :roll:

GoatGuy
05-08-2009, 10:36 AM

yep...................

wapitiwhacker
05-08-2009, 11:03 AM
I'm glad this was brought up, My father and I were going to head up to Chetwynd this year for that 7-20 Zone A if they do the 3 point/cow. Which includes that entire area, Chetwynd to Tumbler to Fort St John etc. We've been hunting Canal Flats to Cranbrook for the last 20 years and wanted to try something different. However neither of us has spent any time up there and wondering if any of you could point us in the right direction?

Thanks
Chris

bridger
05-08-2009, 02:19 PM

good point that is something that needs to be addressed as does the whole issue of providing quality hunting experiences for non residents and reducing resident opportunies. I am confident that change is in the works. As for the change is elk season for region 7a there will be no 3pt season this year. It was not even on the drawing board for this year. If the elk are there we should be asking for it in 2010

PGK
05-08-2009, 04:24 PM
Seriously? That was months ago, and before I worked and learned with/about elk in that area. I've never been against a properly set season. 3pt in PG would be great. I don't actively hunt elk, but I would if there was a 3pt season. Would definitely help spread the pressure out too...

GoatGuy
05-08-2009, 08:07 PM
Seriously? That was months ago, and before I worked and learned with/about elk in that area. I've never been against a properly set season. 3pt in PG would be great. I don't actively hunt elk, but I would if there was a 3pt season. Would definitely help spread the pressure out too...

sounds good.

Fisher-Dude
05-08-2009, 09:29 PM
Seriously? That was months ago, and before I worked and learned with/about (insert HBC discussion topic here)...

Learning about things before you chirp is a great way to keep your foot out of your mouth. :wink:

You better buy the biggest magnum you can find to kill an elk.

hunter1947
05-09-2009, 05:51 AM
[quote=hunter1947;456290]I don't know much about the elk in region 7A.

Last 2 weeks of the current 6 pt season.

You mean mandatory. Probably don't need to.

Actually, they should open up a 3 pt opportunity at the same time as Region 4 with coinciding dates. 'Harmonizing' so to speak. Spread out the hunting pressure province wide and avoid the snowballing of people.

BCrams I agree with you makes sense to me then you won't have every tom dick and harry headed to one region ,I would love to see a short opening on 3 point season in 4-4 ,4-3 and a few others ,good wording BCrams ,now if we can just convince the wildlife management see our point ???? http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon12.gif.

05-09-2009, 06:13 AM
[quote=BCrams;456354]

BCrams I agree with you makes sense to me then you won't have every tom dick and harry headed to one region ,I would love to see a short opening on 3 point season in 4-4 ,4-3 and a few others ,good wording BCrams ,now if we can just convince the wildlife management see our point ???? http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon12.gif.

It's not the Wildlife Branch you'll need to convince...!!!

hunter1947
05-09-2009, 06:43 AM
[quote=hunter1947;456624]

It's not the Wildlife Branch you'll need to convince...!!!

I thought that the Victoria branch makes up the hunting regs ,do they not ??? and if not who makes them up ???.

Maybe you are saying that we should be convincing the biologist of what they should implement in the regs is this is what you are referring to Andy :???: ???.

05-09-2009, 08:38 AM
[quote=6616;456633]

I thought that the Victoria branch makes up the hunting regs ,do they not ??? and if not who makes them up ???.

Maybe you are saying that we should be convincing the biologist of what they should implement in the regs is this is what you are referring to Andy :???: ???.

Victoria has final approval, but for the most part all regulation changes or proposals come from the MOE Regional offices. Proposals at the regional level have to go through regional advisory committees and/or web based public consultation processes, and that's where most of them fail.

Remember the huge discussion in 2008 when region 4 biologists suggested a 10 day 3pt bull elk season in the East Kootenay and a 6pt GOS for bull elk in the West Kootenay, and what transpired with those proposals, and what killed them?

We hunters are the ones that have to be convinced before any major regulation changes are possible...!

hunter1947
05-09-2009, 02:34 PM
Well I will tell you that there are as many elk in the EK now as there where back in the early 90ties ,and they should open up a 10 day 3 point season for the 2009 season ,what a crock if they don't.

Maybe they should go out and spend a few months in the bush in the Ek like I did and they can see what I am talking about ,I know the EK can with stand a 3 point elk season for 10 days but do they ??? :idea: :rolleyes:.

05-09-2009, 03:13 PM
Well I will tell you that there are as many elk in the EK now as there where back in the early 90ties ,and they should open up a 10 day 3 point season for the 2009 season ,what a crock if they don't.

Maybe they should go out and spend a few months in the bush in the Ek like I did and they can see what I am talking about ,I know the EK can with stand a 3 point elk season for 10 days but do they ??? :idea: :rolleyes:.

You're right Wayne, and of course "they" (if you're referring to Fish and Wildlife) know that, they just completed an extensive elk survey and the regional senior biologist said at the BCWF convention in Fernie last month that there's more elk then ever before in the EK. They've known this for several years now, that's why they suggested the 3pt bull season in the first place and why there's 700 antlerless LEH permits, as well as a youth/senior GOS. One doesn't even have to go out in the bush to see it, just driving down the highway in the winter dodging elk and white tailed deer makes it very obvious. Some ranchers are losing up to $30,000.00 worth of hay every year. One can't even grow a garden anymore without an 8 ft fence around it. We're currently killing 5000 to 6000 white tailed bucks every year and the buck doe ratio is probably down around 10 per 100 does. how many white tailed deer are there,,,, do the math. Fish and Wildlife can't do anymore about it then they already are doing and I gave the reason in my previous post.

Fisher-Dude
05-09-2009, 04:18 PM
Garth Mowat's presentation at the BCWF convention was great. He said that the recent inventory indicated 19,000 elk in the Trench alone! That excludes all the Elk Valley from Jaffray north, and all the Flathead. We're easily past record numbers that we had in the EK in the late 80s/early 90s.

Yet, we are saddled with a bullshit 6 point season that limits opportunities for folks to eat elk meat. Ray Demarchi said in his presentation that the 6 point elk season is bad for the elk over the long term, and that we cannot manage the elk herds properly with bull harvest alone.

Time to let Garth set the seasons that he sees fit for the animals, NOT what some R4 jagoffs "want to see" to keep non-R4 hunters away.