PDA

View Full Version : purebread vs. non papered?

mark
05-06-2009, 03:16 PM
In a day or so, I find out if a deal is going through on a sweet little acreage.
As soon as it does Im in the market for a chesepeake puppy. After reading threads, seeing pics, (Marc & Sitka S ) and doing some general research on them, Ive decided they would suit my needs and lifestyle!
I know of 2 sets of puppies ready to go at the moment. 1 is from a registered breeder, the other isnt but assure me that their dogs are purebreads, very healthy and smart as are the pups. Both come with all the shots, deworming etc. The non-papered dog is nearly half the price!
Im not the kind of guy who needs to pay extra for paperwork, or brag to people that he's a papered dog. Nor do I care about breeding him at any point!
Can anyone fill me in on the pro's and cons to going one way or another??

levind
05-06-2009, 03:31 PM
From what i have gathered from a lot of reading you have a better chance with the papered pups if you can see who the grandparents are and the line that the dog has. They say the pups take from the grandparents more so then the parents. If you just want a buddy that might or might not be a good hunting dog go for the non papered pup. If the papered pups are just papered and you don't know anything about the family lines then go with the non papered dog as you will probably have about the same luck. The dogs i am looking at are papered with the family line and all the dogs in the line test very well or the versatile test that they do. But this is just mi opinion not an expert here.

Kevin

born2hunt
05-06-2009, 03:41 PM
Mark I would seriously think hard before i ventured out and bought a chessie , unless your willing to pack a 2x4 with you for training purposes, There soooooooo stubborn !! I know people who have had them and raved about them but when it comes down to it a labrador retriever is by far a better dog. Thats just my opinion based on the chesapeak's I've seen and hunted around..they have to have the thickest skull of any animal nothing penetrates them lololol.In any case good luck with what ever way you go ,, papered or not? i dont think it matters .

MB_Boy
05-06-2009, 03:49 PM
Mark I would seriously think hard before i ventured out and bought a chessie , unless your willing to pack a 2x4 with you for training purposes, There soooooooo stubborn !! I know people who have had them and raved about them but when it comes down to it a labrador retriever is by far a better dog. Thats just my opinion based on the chesapeak's I've seen and hunted around..they have to have the thickest skull of any animal nothing penetrates them lololol.In any case good luck with what ever way you go ,, papered or not? i dont think it matters .

Mark....have owned Chessie's for years and "yes" they "can" be stubborn but the males are much more so than the females. I will tell ya this......just from my experience I would go female before male. (everybody has their opinion)

I don't think you "have to go" papered.....all the ones we had were papered.

LOC
05-06-2009, 03:52 PM
[quote=born2hunt;455476]I know people who have had them and raved about them but when it comes down to it a labrador retriever is by far a better dog. [quote]

Blasphamy! :shock: Chessies are as good or better as any lab out there.

If the parents are papered you can still get all the history on the pups, you just won't be able to registar them as purebreds.

With papered dogs you have a 'guarentee' that the dog is as what it is, and will likely have all the traits , pro and con, that come with that breed.

If the parents of the pups aren't papered, who know's if they are really purebred ? There may be a lab in the line somewhere or who knows...

I think if you can view both parents, get an idea of how they hunt and temperment, you can be happy with either.

my $0.02.

Busterbrown
05-06-2009, 03:52 PM
Here we go again. You are making a ten year decision on the dog. Find a breeding that fits your lifestyle. Is it a pet only, is it going to be a gun dog or a competitive retriever. What the hell is a puppy test?? Good luck with your choice

muleychaser
05-06-2009, 04:13 PM
A paper doesn't make the dog, What is done with the dog when you get it makes the dog. I have always bought mixed breeds and have never paid over 50 dollars for a dog. The best one cost me 30, the dumbest one I paid the 50 for and it took a year but she is coming around and shaping up to be a pretty good dog.

Remington
05-06-2009, 04:28 PM
Its like anything you get what you pay for. If you plan to do any sort of hunting trials or gun dog trials though I believe they all have to be purebred and registered with the ckc.

That being said I used to have an unregistered Black lab that Im pretty sure was purebred that I got out of a backyard. He was an awesome Hunting dog. I now have a new pup Purebred and registered, he is 4 months old and looking to be an awesome dog as well.

Ive never tried hunting with a Mutt but I had a friend that did and it took us 3 days to find the dog the first time he tried to shoot over him. Lab Cross.

To each their own.

plumbob
05-06-2009, 04:56 PM
If you want a pet buy a 30-50 dollar dog if you want a good hunting dog spend the money find out the history.Thats the great thing about ckc.Thats my opinion.

BlacktailStalker
05-06-2009, 05:24 PM
Remington; He probably ruined what could have been a good dog. Anybody in their right mind wouldnt take a dog and shoot over top of him for the first time :roll: WHole different topic there.

Papers, lines etc. They "help" in selection and give a better chance of getting "what YOU want."
But its never a sure thing either way.
If its a first time breeding between the parents its a crap shoot, you just dont know.
If its been done before, get the #'s to the previous pups owners and do a reference check on them, simple.

Do these people have them as pets, or do they hunt them ? If you plan on hunting them then thats important, go back further in the line to see if those ones were hunted too.
Just remember that an outstanding sire and bitch is still going to produce an "average" of what they are at best. Some will be better and one maybe two will likely be a lemon.
Also if they're keeping one for themselves AND hunt them, theres a good chance they have some smarts and bred to what they hoped would or already did give THEM a good pup. Its likely they want to carry on and possibly have breeding stock for the future. Good breeders are always trying to find/make a better dog. That doesnt mean every litter/puppy they put out is a good one !

The grandparents have little reflection on the pups aside from the bad traits are often worse and the good is the same or slightly better. Bad traits have to be bred OUT of a line and good ones have to be kept in.

The male thing is theory too, in my opinion.
I was told a male hound with his gear still intact is one of the hardest to handle, not the case at all, the female I have is the most stubborn I've seen.

All dogs test you, its how many times they get away with something when you dont realize they're testing you at a YOUNG age that reflects how hard they are to handle, more importantly try to correct, later on.

boxhitch
05-06-2009, 05:27 PM
Papers MAY be of some help for a breed that can have defects if the parents are proven to be defect free, and the lineage is clear. Hips and eyes come to mind.
And some top breeders do have a gaurantee, but you pay for the option.

But do the puppy test, on whatever choices, that may help your decision

Marc
05-06-2009, 06:18 PM
Hey Mark, the extra money you pay for a papered dog shows you the lineage which is great to see what their ancestors where able to achieve, but, more importantly, it also gives you a piece of mind that both parents are of the proper breeding age, and have been fully tested against genetic defects such as hips, eyes, and elbows, which cannot be said from two dogs that where bred in someones back yard.

Not to many backyard breeders are qualified or go through the trouble of ensuring their dogs are clear from any defect. To the back yard breeder the bottom line is to try and make some easy cash while trying to save as much money as possible.

The good thing about Chesapeake bay retrievers is they've always been bred to be working dogs. They haven't been split like the Labradors and golden retrievers where you have show dog lines and hunting dog lines.

I was doing some digging and found that last year there was over 150,000 Labrador retriever pure bred registered pups in the USA last year compared to only 2,500 Chesapeake Bay Retrievers. This tells me that for the majority of the Chessie breeders out there they're in it for the breed and not to try and make some fast coin.

The Chessie is a whole lot of dog no doubt, but man if you can harness it's energy and pure natural instinct it will be hard to find a more loyal and harder working hunting companion on the water or in the field. The problem with the Chessie is they are not robots like Labradors but think for themselves. They are highly intelligent, extremely motivated and have endless energy. This is a dog that loves to have it's brain worked and plenty of exercise.

Here is a picture of Marshall on cat patrol last night while I was watching TV in the basement.:biggrin: He sits or lays at the bottom of the stairs hoping to get a glimpse at my wife's cat. He's put the fear of god into the cat a couple of times so far but hasn't harmed it yet.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/Marshall_watching_the_cat.jpg

Dirty
05-06-2009, 06:22 PM
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/Marshall_watching_the_cat.jpg

By the looks of the picture I don't like the intentions of your Chesapeake for the cat. I hope thats not bred into him. LOL.

BlacktailStalker
05-06-2009, 06:28 PM
Dirty, thats just dirty :lol:

muleychaser
05-06-2009, 06:53 PM
I guess another way to look at it would the same as hiring someone. If you want a "good" employee it pays to do the research.

f350ps
05-06-2009, 07:36 PM
They way I would read that is there was 150,000 people that bought Labs and 2500 that bought Chessies. Says a lot in my eyes. Personally I would not buy a CKC dog again as the last one I had died prematurely and I have seen to many problems with hips in friends dogs. K

born2hunt
05-06-2009, 08:29 PM
[quote=born2hunt;455476]I know people who have had them and raved about them but when it comes down to it a labrador retriever is by far a better dog. [quote]

Blasphamy! :shock: Chessies are as good or better as any lab out there.

If the parents are papered you can still get all the history on the pups, you just won't be able to registar them as purebreds.

With papered dogs you have a 'guarentee' that the dog is as what it is, and will likely have all the traits , pro and con, that come with that breed.

If the parents of the pups aren't papered, who know's if they are really purebred ? There may be a lab in the line somewhere or who knows...

I think if you can view both parents, get an idea of how they hunt and temperment, you can be happy with either.

my $0.02.I totally disagree but this is my opinion there is no way a chessie is as good as a well trained lab reason being - its too hard to train a chesapeak.

Marc
05-06-2009, 08:58 PM
[quote=LOC;455483][quote=born2hunt;455476]I know people who have had them and raved about them but when it comes down to it a labrador retriever is by far a better dog. I totally disagree but this is my opinion there is no way a chessie is as good as a well trained lab reason being - its too hard to train a chesapeak.

So a CKC or AKC Master Hunter Chessie isn't as good as a Master Hunter Labrador?

Mark here is a good link for you to look over if you're thinking of getting a Chessie

http://www.yourpurebredpuppy.com/reviews/chesapeakebayretrievers.html

Don't be shy to send me a PM if you need more information.

mfarrally
05-06-2009, 09:09 PM
My family has always got our papered labs through a well known breeder and in doing that we know exactly what were getting. I am sure there are some awesome dogs that aren't papered, but i think you get what you pay for. And remember they can't charge the same price for a unregistered dog because they aren't registered and for all you or anyone knows are not purebred. I will pay the extra for dog that i will be putting countless hours in training into.

Islandeer
05-06-2009, 09:18 PM
Here it is ... CKC registered dogs must have eye,hip,elbow etc clearances before they can breed and become registered. So do you want to buy a car you drive every day,rely on and plan to have some good times in from some one who doesnt check out?! A bit over the top but my message is clear. How do you research non registered dogs?

Marc, Labs are not robots! :lol: And more people like labs more than Chessies,so they buy them!!! :biggrin:

Dirty
05-06-2009, 09:34 PM
Dirty, thats just dirty :lol:

I just hope that Marc didn't train him to do that. We all know Chesapeakes are stubborn, it must have taken a lot of training to get him to do that. LOL

mrdoog
05-06-2009, 10:29 PM
If it makes any difference to your dog, you can register it at this site:
https://www.continentalkennelclub.com/onlinereg/.
You will need a USA address, that's an easy hurdle to overcome.
Register your dog and everyone is happy.

gamehunter6o
05-06-2009, 10:35 PM
Saw a current affairs program on pedigree dogs, dog shows and "standards" set for pedigrees. The inbreeding of defects to meet these "standards" was horrifying. Line breeding (inbreeding) and defects are rife in all breeds.
Be very aware of this.:eek:

Marc
05-07-2009, 05:49 AM
Saw a current affairs program on pedigree dogs, dog shows and "standards" set for pedigrees. The inbreeding of defects to meet these "standards" was horrifying. Line breeding (inbreeding) and defects are rife in all breeds.
Be very aware of this.:eek:

I've done some research on this and a mutt (or unregistered dog) has a higher chance of having or passing on a genetic defect then a pure bred registered dog would. Pure bred dogs get extensively tested before they can breed. A defective dog doesn't get the "go" to pass on the genes.

Breeding two healthy dogs doesn't cause a recessive gene it's the parents that pass on the recessive gene, so without screening you can't find or see it until the puppies start showing symptoms... Mutts (or unregistered dogs) don't go through this screening process and don't get detected and just keep passing on the recessive genes. Not all dogs will show symptoms of the recessive gene in a litter and it could take two years or more before you see the end results when the dog is fully grown. This is why Registered dogs go through these screenings when they reach the age of two ( fully grown for most breeds).

Islandeer
05-07-2009, 06:43 AM
I've done some research on this and a mutt (or unregistered dog) has a higher chance of having or passing on a genetic defect then a pure bred registered dog would. Pure bred dogs get extensively tested before they can breed. A defective dog doesn't get the "go" to pass on the genes.

Breeding two healthy dogs doesn't cause a recessive gene it's the parents that pass on the recessive gene, so without screening you can't find or see it until the puppies start showing symptoms... Mutts (or unregistered dogs) don't go through this screening process and don't get detected and just keep passing on the recessive genes. Not all dogs will show symptoms of the recessive gene in a litter and it could take two years or more before you see the end results when the dog is fully grown. This is why Registered dogs go through these screenings when they reach the age of two ( fully grown for most breeds).

Exactly. And for the record if anyone wants a Chessie, look into the linage Marc got Marshal from,and if you are interested in a Labrador pm me.

Sitkaspruce
05-07-2009, 06:59 AM
Sitka is a pure breed with great lines, but she was un papered because I was not going to breed her. I had to sign an agreement that stated that fact, and when she was fixed, I sent a copy of the vet info to the breeder. For being un-papered she went for $150 less than papered. It was not that I was cheap, but I simply did not have any interest in breeding her. Not sure if that option is available now.

As for the 2x4 thing, you really need to understand the breed and if you do, then the 2x4 is not needed. Most people think that Chessies are labs with curly/wavey hair and yellow eyes. They are a world apart in a lot of things. As Marc says, Chessies think for themselves and have a drive that no other breed has when it comes to working.

As for the female/male thing, I like females because they are a little bit more layed back, do not go around pi$$ing on things and tend to be smaller, although Sitka is 90 lbs. She followed in her dads footprints as he was 105 and her mom was 65.

I have owned both and do have a lab and chessie right now. The lab came from a back yard breeder, who was recommended from a few different folks. The yard, pens and house were clean, the parents are great looking dogs, all the puppies were well looked after and had all the up to date shots and things looked great. The lab is a great companion and is well behaved, but she is a dud when it comes to hunting and retieveing. Not that smart, has no drive and would rather smell every bush, tree and rock then retieve a dummy.

Is this the result of a back yard breeder or is it just her make up and she is not a hunting dog?? Who really knows, but when it comes to replacing my Chessie, I will be spending the $$$ for a PB.

If I want a house/family pet, I will go get a mutt, but for hunting, I will spend the $$ on a PB Chessie.

Good luck in your quest Mark

There is a couple of good books out there on training hunting dogs and the Chessie. if you wan to borrow than, send me a PM and I will box them up and send them to you.

Cheers

SS

dutchie
05-07-2009, 07:52 AM
The biggest difference between a papered dog and a non-paperd dog is the paper.

Most GOOD breeders will not breed a dog and paper it if there is HD in the genes. BUT some still do. Some paperd dogs are breed to be for show dogs which means they use the genetic good looks insted of the hunting. But for a hunting dog they breed the abilities to creat better Natural Ability.

Natural Ability and Instinct can not be taught. A tested and registered hunting sire and dame will create a supirior hunting dog then a dog off the street. This is what they are breed and borne to do.

If the money is the issue then save up some more money. A retriver that hates retriving is not a good bird dog. A pointer that hates pointing and only wants to flush will not be a good pointer. This is were the pedigree and other owners from the sire and dame's pups come in handy.

In my opinion buying a dog is not a spur of the moment decission. Alot of though and research go into your new friend. Spending $500 dollars more today will save you alot of money and time later on down the road.

If the dog is going to be used as the family pet and will not be hunted, a non-papered dog is just as good as a papered dog. You don't need to teach a dog how to love.

dutchie

mark
05-07-2009, 09:25 AM
Wow, thanks tons for all the info guys! Ive also recieved a few pm's and ph. numbers to call for more info. You guys are sure passionate about your dogs!
$ is not the issue for me, I wanst being cheap, I simply didnt know much about the papered thing, many have explained it to me quite well, even a half hour ph call with one member here!
Im certainly leaning towards the papered dog if the option is still available, of which I should know by today or tomorrow at the latest!
Crossing the fingers that this deal comes together for me!

RJ
05-07-2009, 10:57 AM
Tons of great info here, ill just add my 2c... I went with a pure breed for my current dog. I saw both parents and saw pictures all the way up to his great grandparents on both sides. I had a really good idea of his size, weight, energy level, and temperment. Now he's just over a year and turned out exactly how I figured. Papers alone don't guarantee your dog though, responsible breeders will.

#1fishslayer
05-07-2009, 11:06 AM
Papers, who needs papers. With the money you save on the paperwork, you could send it to dog school.

born2hunt
05-07-2009, 12:21 PM
Here it is ... CKC registered dogs must have eye,hip,elbow etc clearances before they can breed and become registered. So do you want to buy a car you drive every day,rely on and plan to have some good times in from some one who doesnt check out?! A bit over the top but my message is clear. How do you research non registered dogs?

Marc, Labs are not robots! :lol: And more people like labs more than Chessies,so they buy them!!! :biggrin:
Agreed totally

kinderdoggin
05-07-2009, 01:25 PM

Unfortunately the first statement is not true- CKC does not require any sort of health, temperament or performance testing prior to registering puppies. All it requires is registration of the parent dogs. So, while not 100% of registered puppies come from screened breeding stock, MOST un-registered puppies come from un registered stock. In fact, I don't think I've ever seen un-registered puppies advertised as coming from hip or eye certified stock (although almost every backyard breeder will claim to have 'healthy lines' and will put forth some sort of meaningless guarantee).

So in summary - just simply having registration papers does not assure one that the puppy is from quality, healthy working stock - you have to research beyond that - but at least a registered dog gives you the ability to do such research because their ancestry is traceable.

Erin

p.s. Agreed that Labs are not technically robots although I think the original statement was intended as a compliment to the Labrador's cooperative nature:biggrin:

kinderdoggin
05-07-2009, 01:45 PM
, MOST un-registered puppies come from un registered stock.

Ooops! What I meant was: "MOST un-registered puppies come from un-screened stock".

Islandeer
05-07-2009, 04:41 PM
Right on, the registered icon allows you to dig deeper and see if clearances are there, the history of the line etc.

That's just Marc, he is always hacking my Labradors!! I am quite comfortable with his Chessie's temperment. He actually listens to me better than he does to Marc. :lol:

Marc
05-07-2009, 08:45 PM
Right on, the registered icon allows you to dig deeper and see if clearances are there, the history of the line etc.

That's just Marc, he is always hacking my Labradors!! I am quite comfortable with his Chessie's temperment. He actually listens to me better than he does to Marc. :lol:

It's quite funny actually, I have a friend from Victoria that comes over to visit maybe once per month and he can take Marshall off lead and have him sit, fetch, and deliver to hand and heel again. He loves to retrieve. He's come along ways since he went out to do his Junior Hunter trials. Last season over real birds has really changed the way he looks at things. I can't wait to see how he does this fall with the training we're working on this summer.

Good luck with your pup Mark, let us know how things work out.

Islandeer
05-08-2009, 04:53 PM
Okay already!! Marshal is a good dog. How good he gets in the future will depend on how much his trainer improves.

Hey Marc, have time on the 17th of May for some training.

Marc
05-08-2009, 05:26 PM
Okay already!! Marshal is a good dog. How good he gets in the future will depend on how much his trainer improves.

Hey Marc, have time on the 17th of May for some training.

OK sorry! I can't help it I'm a bit proud of my boy.:biggrin: The 17th sounds good, send me a PM with a place and time and we'll work something out.

Sorry Mark for hijacking your thread. Just showing how much fun it can be owning a pure bred dog and the fun associated with training / running them in sanctioned events.8-)

mark
05-08-2009, 06:16 PM
Jack away, I dont mind! Looks like my property deal is going through! :DGoing to look at the purebred pups tomorrow morn! :grin:
If anyone is interested in the non-papered chessie pups, PM me for the PH no. They are in poco, the owner just emailed me and said $300 takes one away.

GoatGuy
05-08-2009, 08:14 PM
Jack away, I dont mind! Looks like my property deal is going through! :DGoing to look at the purebred pups tomorrow morn! :grin:
If anyone is interested in the non-papered chessie pups, PM me for the PH no. They are in poco, the owner just emailed me and said $300 takes one away.

Where ya moving?

Close by?

There's a bear on the hill chowing down right now. :biggrin:

thatskindafunny
05-08-2009, 08:40 PM
Unfortunately the first statement is not true- CKC does not require any sort of health, temperament or performance testing prior to registering puppies. All it requires is registration of the parent dogs. So, while not 100% of registered puppies come from screened breeding stock, MOST un-registered puppies come from un registered stock. In fact, I don't think I've ever seen un-registered puppies advertised as coming from hip or eye certified stock (although almost every backyard breeder will claim to have 'healthy lines' and will put forth some sort of meaningless guarantee).

So in summary - just simply having registration papers does not assure one that the puppy is from quality, healthy working stock - you have to research beyond that - but at least a registered dog gives you the ability to do such research because their ancestry is traceable.

Erin

p.s. Agreed that Labs are not technically robots although I think the original statement was intended as a compliment to the Labrador's cooperative nature:biggrin:
kinderdog if you read the post properly from islandeer it said that dog's that don't have their clearences, their litters can't be registered. The puppies from the litters that have their clearances then can be registered. Those puppies at the age of 2 once they have their clearances can be breed once you break the non breeding contract from the breeder you bought it from. That is why any reputable breeder sells his puppies on a non breeding contract. This contract can only be broken once the clearances are done. you can not register your litter if you have a non breeding contract. Anybody that buys a pure breed puppy without papers the puppy is called a pbnp. Why doesn't this puppy have papers? Hmm maybe one of the parents didn't pass it's cleanances, crap why does my dog have weird eyes, shit he's only 3 and he's not walking very good. thatisnotfunnyatall

kinderdoggin
05-08-2009, 09:33 PM
Hmmm, I didn't see anything about non-breeding contracts in there. You must have better eyes than me :)

It sounds like Mark has made his decision so I hope to have my vision problem cleared up by the time he posts some puppy pics, lol.

Congrats on the property purchase, by the way, be sure to post some pics of the new pad too!

mark
05-09-2009, 07:05 AM
Where ya moving?

Close by?

There's a bear on the hill chowing down right now. :biggrin:

Not closer to you, actually about another 15 minutes further away than I am now! :razz:
Did you ever see the goat that was spotted in your back yard????

BC Hunter
05-09-2009, 06:58 PM
In a day or so, I find out if a deal is going through on a sweet little acreage.
As soon as it does Im in the market for a chesepeake puppy. After reading threads, seeing pics, (Marc & Sitka S ) and doing some general research on them, Ive decided they would suit my needs and lifestyle!
I know of 2 sets of puppies ready to go at the moment. 1 is from a registered breeder, the other isnt but assure me that their dogs are purebreads, very healthy and smart as are the pups. Both come with all the shots, deworming etc. The non-papered dog is nearly half the price!
Im not the kind of guy who needs to pay extra for paperwork, or brag to people that he's a papered dog. Nor do I care about breeding him at any point!
Can anyone fill me in on the pro's and cons to going one way or another??

You've done ypou research. Chessie is the way you want to go for your reasons. Do some more research and find the sire and dam (Father and Mother) that suits you and go from there. If papers don't suit you and you like the sire and dam then you got a dog. If papers suit you find the sire and dam with a lineage that you like and go from there.

Avoid Puppy Mills!!!

Good breeders know thier animals and will put you into something that suits you. A great breeder will not sell you something that won't suit you because they guarantee thier dogs.

There is nothing wrong with a Chessie. Tough retrievers, won't quit. Out work a Lab any day.

I own Labs. Registered. Would reccomend a Lab any day. But if you are after a hard working dog, Chessies are hard to beat.

GoatGuy
05-09-2009, 07:06 PM
Not closer to you, actually about another 15 minutes further away than I am now! :razz:
Did you ever see the goat that was spotted in your back yard????

Hopefully you're close to some good hunting.

No I haven't had a chance. Way too much work around the house to leave it. Fencing for the last couple of days. Hopefully I don't see another post pounder for at least 5 years.

Fisher-Dude
05-09-2009, 07:07 PM
Maybe you should get some horses.

GoatGuy
05-09-2009, 07:09 PM
What would one do with horses?

mark
05-09-2009, 07:13 PM

??????? :confused: This from the king of quads???
Actually theres horses on every other property in the hood, some next door, as well a buddy up the street if I feel the urge. Other than that, I dont need more headaches, a puppy will surfice! :-P

Marc
06-04-2009, 10:52 PM
So? Did you get a Chessie?

mark
06-06-2009, 10:30 AM
So? Did you get a Chessie?

Woohoo.... got my pup! :lol::D8-):p! I had a super stressful time sealing this house deal, but in the end it all came together!!! Just got internet hooked back up.
Now living on a beautiful 2.5 acres adjacent to crown land, and awesome hunting, 2 creeks within 100 yards. :smile:
We picked up our pup on sunday he was 11 weeks old, had him for a week now and we are simply amazed at how awesome he is in every aspect, we couldnt be happier with our home or our dog!
He already sits, fetches, and best of all craps on the neighboring acres! :D
He follows me everywhere I go, comes to work with me everyday, and when we get home we go play in the creek for about 1/2 an hour each day! I feel like a little kid again playing with him! Ill try to get some pics on here!
This pic was at the breeders place when he was 8 or 9 weeks old!

http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/../photos/data/500/IMG_3202_Medium_.JPG
Here he is napping with his dad!

http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/../photos/data/500/medium/IMG_3204_Medium_.JPG (http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/../photos/showphoto.php?photo=14418&size=big&cat=500&ppuser=501)
this pic was at 10 weeks

http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/../photos/data/500/medium/IMG_3214_Medium_.JPG (http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/../photos/showphoto.php?photo=14419&size=big&cat=500&ppuser=501)
Ill try to get some more recent pics soon here, he's growing like crazy!

BlacktailStalker
06-06-2009, 11:15 AM
Right on, cute lookin lil bugger !
Sounds like a nice set up, glad it all came together :cool:

Marc
06-06-2009, 02:51 PM
Cute little pup! They do grow fast and put on weight like crazy. Make sure he has a lot of chew toys as he's growing up or he'll find a suitable replacement for them, might not be so suitable for you but he doesn't know that at this point.:biggrin:

That's great that you are able to take him to work with you and these are the crucial bonding months in the dogs life to learn. The more he learns at a young age the more it will help him learn as he gets bigger and older.

They do make you feel like a kid again, and man is it ever fun training / hunting over them.

Keep us up to date on how he's doing. If you have any questions don't be scared to ask. I'm no expert by no means but It's still pretty fresh in my mind what it's like to have a pup growing up. Who am I kidding he's still a pup. :lol:

Kevin So
07-17-2009, 12:39 AM
I think its money well spend on a PB, a little more now better then having to make a decision 5 years later on thousands of dollars for hip/knee replacement.

Johnnybear
07-19-2009, 08:49 PM
Just finished reading the whole thread. Congrats on your new place Mark it sounds real nice. That is one great looking pup! Keep us posted as he grows up.

leadpillproductions
07-19-2009, 10:48 PM
Nice Looking Puppie .

Brew
07-20-2009, 05:35 AM
we used to breed golden retrievers both the dogs were papered. Whenever we had pups my mom never bothered with the paperwork. She just wanted the dogs to go to a good home. We still get great feed back fom our pups years later. Some dog people are a little crazy I find when it comes to the paper work. Some even gave my parents crap for not getting the pups papers. If I were you I would like to see both the male and female of the breeding pair and spend a little while with them. I also find that pups that were born with children present tend to like small children a little more than from a breeder that doesnt have children around but thats just me and from personal experience.